The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

distances

HI, I would like to say that in no way would i want the" big dogs" to stop racing as whippets,   what i would like to see is the bigger dogs racing in scratch races , where they could win farely against dogs of their own size...(Racing at 2ft a pound would be ideal don't u think!!!) :p

In my opinion they do race against dogs their own size in their weight groups the problems come in the run offs.  The point I was making was that if we were to change the format we would have to cater for dogs that were bread or currently being bread for the current format by the way of any change being brought in after three years that way people would get to race their current dogs of that weight and future dogs could be bread for the new format.

exactly, the problems do come in the run offs , so if they run in their own scratch races  there would  be no problems...... :p  sorry John not getting at you........ wasss upppppppp ;)

even the 28lb dogs would struggle to catch the 18lb dogs so does that mean we go even lower.  In my opinion we should leave it the way it is and introduce the lightweight supreme and the heavyweight supreme.

Yes i agree, we should have two supremes on the day, thats fare enough ,best idea yet......... :p

John Gill has come up with the best solution so far!!!

The only trouble is if you won one of the supreme's you'd know that you were only actually the best dog out of say 50 as oppose 100 which to me would be a bit of an anti climax, but like i say at the moment its the best format.

:p Yes John's idea is a brilliant one Vicky, I notice though that the heavyweights would start at 25lb ??? would this be ok do u think!!!,  the idea of having two top ten systems would be good because no we don't all race the bends and so lose out  when it comes to the  top ten results at the end of the year.....GOOD ONE JOHN ;)   ;)   ;)

How about;

Run in weight groups as now off scratch, then 3 semi`s - lightweight, middleweight and heavyweight

upto 20lb run at 3 feet/pound

20lb to 25lb at 2 feet/pound

25lb to 30lb at 1 foot/pound

Supreme run off same marks

Scratch racing

upto 35lb

upto40lb

upto45lb

No limit

Tony

:p Hi, good idea Tony and worth a try, time we all got together and proposed some of the things we discuss on here, after all they can't all be bad .......   ;)   ;)   ;)

:D thought you would like the scratch racing neil, just right for your camels ey ;)   :p

why not leave things as they are if you got a dog good enough it will win....

also if we start changing things after all these years whos going to be left doing all the extra work that it would involve

:p Hi Dee, yes well we probably will leave things as they are, I aint complaining, I like yard a pound racing....and we will help as I am sure many more will they onl;y have to ask.......see you :p   :p   :p   ;)   ;)   ;)

i was thinking if you changed the distances longer would it help the bigger dogs to win then kinda got thinking probly not cause DRAMA QUEEN just won the 200 yarder

also have a 16lb and know if the distance is over more than 160 yards i withdraw her cause it worrys me that the bigger dogs would run into her and hurt her as shes very weary any way

or there again you could make all dogs over 30lb in weight run in scr racing off level break

Yes i agree the distances should vary,  and i think that all dogs over 28lb should run off scratch marks, say at 2ft a pound upto 35 and so on, but I am happy to run my dogs at yard a pound , i do not like the finals when the big dogs run onto the lure and into the little uns, as i have said they get injured, but as tony has said this does not happen when racing at say half yard a pound because all the dogs come over the line together..  I still like yard a pound...see u   :p

mmmmm :) mmmm :( mmmm :D mmmm :p   ;) mmmmm ??? mmmm ;) mmmmm :0 mmmmm :angry:

hi if u lowered the weight limit down from 32lb then no one would cross greyhounds into the whippet breed or less would. this could be a problem cause the gene pool is very small anyway so if no new blood isn't added then faults will ocurr more often and the breed will get even more nutty and nasty. ???

Back