The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

distances

Thought you wouldn't resist that one Tony!!!!   :D

About time someone did right to whippet news about this whole yd/lb thing i think this is the first time i've read someone saying it out loud to the main bodies of racing.  Perhaps something will now be brought up for voting - only scanned the letter briefly but i agree entirely with what Peter is saying!!

This whole yard a pound thing is whippet racing, we race whippets over a variety of distances on the straights giving all weights a chance to win, but on the bends its reversed. u see the little uns withdrawing because they know they can not win................which brings us back to having two supreme run offs, one for lightweights and one for  the heavyweights, this i believe would stop most of the grumbling which we all seem to be doing :p   :D

Apart from Colourblind and Ballystorm every one ran off at the Freeman Remebered open on Sunday.

We go to a lot of bend opens and I don`t agree it`s a case of lightweights withdrawing on the bends - they have as much chance of winning as the heavyweights as a look back at BWRA bend supreme champs shows.

All weights dont have a chance of winning on the straights at yard/pound unlee the distance is in excess of 200yards as a review of open over all winners shows

will some one who keeps bringing this weight of 28lb up please explain where they have got it from as when the bwra was formed in 1967-68 the weight limit was 32lb  i have asked where it has come from twice before and never had an answere perhaps pat could enlighten me thanks in anticipation

Hiya steve

Clubs down our way in the 60's ran up to 28lb limit here are some of the clubs Sedgebrook,shireoaks,rose forgrove (gainsbrough) not exactly sure what year limit raised but i believe firstly it went to 30lb and then to 32lb possibly in line with bwra not sure will have to get mum to look back in the archives.

When did u start running steve what year??   :D

now now Steve don't anticipate too much, it's bad for you lol. all the clubs  around us all had a weight limit of 28lb as sadie has  already said. that's were we get the idea from ;)   :D   :p

Just a quick answer to your question i think it was about 1956 when i had my first taste of whippet racing and it was with my uncle at a place called Wharton  near Lancaster

we were first introduced to whippet racing at Manton club, can you tell me sadie just when Manton club was formed................. :D   :p   ;)

If the weight limit was dropped from 32lb to 28lb will it make any difference to the overall result of a race I dont think so.  Lets face it even the 28lbers cant catch the small ones over most distances the only difference will be a smaller dog will collide with the 18lbers at the end of the race.  So do we drop the weight limit even further.  I say leave it the way it is after all its worked for 35 years.  It was also mentioned that if a 28lb limit was introduced the dogs from the scrapped weight groups could race at scratch 2ft lb have I picked up this wrong I thought that scratch ment that the dogs raced off level.  Aslo we have let a lot off greyhound blood into the breeding its not all that uncommon for a 24lber and a no limit to be from the same litter.  If a 28lb limit was to be introduced there would have to be a change over period of at least three years to allow present dogs above that weight to race in the present format.  Just for the record I race a 18lb & 22lb dog so I am not looking out for myself.

i think 36lb is a good limit,then scratch racing 40lb and no limit :D

32lb dogs are big enough to run off with neil never mind 36lbers ;) at the back of the little uns...... :angry:

;) THE ONLY SOLUTION I CAN COME UP WITH IS TO RUN AT

2 FOOT A POUND, EVEN THEN YOU WOULD GET SOMEONE WHO DID"NT AGREE WITH IT. SO WHY NOT LEAVE IT AS IT IS

:)

I agree, leave things as they are ............ :p   ;)   :D

Does anything relating to distance or format get brought up at meeting etc?  It seems a lot of the talking about it get's done on here but nothing said to the main bodies!!!

:D not sure about that vicky, might be an idea to  go to the meeting.... what do u all think !!!! ;)  :0   :p

so we can take it then that the distances should be left as they are, well i agree with this................. :p   :D   ;)

If you would like to run at a different distance or have a different handicap then put it forward at your area meeting to go to the AGM, that way no one can say you havent tried to alter things

NW BWRA members - we are willing to have an area meeting anytime.

Back