The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

distances

i think there should be more 1/2yd /lb opens as the middleweights very rarely have a chance of catching the little ones. Even then at 1/2yd/lbthe a good middleweight still wouldnt catch a good lightweight over 150yds.   :p

Yes i agree, put some half yard a pound races on for who ever wants to race at them, and let every one run at what distances they want. thats fare aint it :p .

:p Hi, well i still don't know the answer to my question ??? but it don't matter any more, i think all weights are catered for on the straights, wonder when 2ft a pound will start on the bends ??? just kiddin :p

:D Hey Long Dog, Pintsize says you will never catch her over 25 yards neither....lol :p   :p

i would like to add my point of view of the handicapping. in my time racing whippets i've never seen a dog or bitch win an open of 26lb+ at 150 yd/lb, so surely this can't be equal in fairness. i personally think 150/160 at 2ft is fairer because small dogs like dancing wind, drama queen, branca etc still win these opens often, but also larger dogs get a slice of the cake like mad mick, fluke etc, so surely this is fair as any dog no matter the weight if it is top grade can win the open. also i think yd/lb on bends is fair cause bitchs like mystical dancer won alot even at the longer distance. thanks :p

thanks pat/pete haven't been on here for ages. bin v.busy. nice to hear from every1 again :p   :D   :p

hello :p well i have seen a 26 lb bitch win a supreme title, this bitch was Jolson, she beat Fancy Free by a whisker to take the coveted B.W.R.A title...... see you all :p   :p   :p

No bitch heavier than Jolson has ever won supreme at BWRA straights

Jolson is a middleweight

Jolson won supreme 8 years ago - you have to go back a futher 24 years to find another 26lb supreme

In 35 BWRA straight champs bitches;

heavyweights 0 supremes

Middleweights 16 supremes (of which 8 were under 22lb)

Lightweights 19 supremes

Yes you are right, thats whippet racing for you, why do you think I try and get whippets around 22 lb   :p   ;) thanks for telling me when , but i knew, i was there :D

thanks Tony

for that imformation but i already knew all this i dont need to go back in whippet news cause i been racing for 23 years dame i am getting old

denise :0

Looking at the results posted by tony it appears that the handicap system that is run favous small dogs.When this was first run no dogs bigger than 28lb ran at all in this system. A yard a pound always favours small 16lb to medium dogs22lb that is why they nearly always win and unless we wish to change the handicap so that bigger dogs have a chance it will always be so.But be aware of changing handicaps it could encourage the breeding and cross breeding of whippets if big or large dogs were handicapped to win events. i am not anti big or large dog and they have there place in whippet racing as scratch dogs and so they should but the handicap mark in my opinion ( and i do not want a torrant of abuse, this is my own opinion) should be brought back to 28lb, if for nothing else but to conserve the size of a racing whippet

I don't think Tony meant to offend you Denise by posting that information but there are other people on the site who have been out of racing for a long time, or new to the sport who might find the information useful.

Pat/Pete

You`re not suggesting that you try to get whippets of around 22lb because they have more chance of winning than other weights are you   ;) Didn`t Fancy Free win the year after though :)

Longdog

Information is mainly from "22 Years of Whippet Racing " by Audrey Johnson actually - very useful as it lists all BWRA NWRF champs.

Not everyone who reads this forum has access to Whippet News and not everyone has been racing for 23 years( even though BWRA champs go back 35 years) and not everyone can remember who has won previously or their weights.

The information was put up to demonstrate that  BWRA champs at yard/pound favours lightweights  in response to Pat/Pete example of the 26lb Jolson.

JohnM

2feet/pound still favours light/middleweights but at least the bigger dogs have some chance.Although I actually agree that the handicap should favour lightweights to preserve type, just not to the degree it does now. I agree that dogs over 28lb are better served by scratch racing.

Tony

Hi, I agree with John , whippet racing should have a weight limit of up to 28lb, after this weight all racing should be classed as scratch racing.. example last year at the bend champs a dog raced in the no limit, ( yes i know it's no limit but don't u think there should be a limit) its weight was 74lbs , i Don't run on the bends so please dont get angry at me, all i am saying is it made wonderwall look small,tiny even, needless to say the 74lber won its title, should we not be looking at some of the weights as well as looking at the yardage given....just for u dink ;)

Tony, thanks for all the information you give ,always appreciated, but as i have said  above lets keep whippet racing just that, whippets (small racing dogs)  upto 28lb the rest scratch .then they will all have a chance of winning   yes or no........ ;)   :(   :(

;)

;)  HOW ABOUT THIS FORMAT FOR CHAMPIONSHIPS

DOGS UPTO 24LB  RUN FOR SUPREME LIGHTWEIGHT

DOGS UPTO 32LB  RUN FOR SUPREME HEAVYWEIGHT

THEN YOU WOULD HAVE TWO SUPREME CHAMPIONS

( 4 OVER THE TWO DAYS )  THIS WOULD AT LEAST GIVE

THE HEAVIER DOG SOMETHING TO AIM FOR, IT COULD ALSO BE USED IN AN ORDINARY OPEN ; THEN YOU COULD HAVE TO TOP TENS A LIGHTWEIGHT & HEVYWEIGHT : ???  ???   :p JUST A THOUGHT: ???

ALSO TWO SEPERATE TOP TENS FOR STRAIGHT RACERS

AND ONE FOR BEND RACERS: :p THERE IS A LOT OF DOGS THAT DON"T DO BOTH

I think that would be an Ideal solution John, ;) something for us all to aim for, brilliant :p   :p   :p

I like that idea could this be the way forward without changing the formats too mutch.  As for the 28lb weight limit in my opinion this would have to be voted in to start say three years down the line as some people like their big dogs and breed them for the current format.  Waiting three years would allow people to race their current dogs and allow those who breed dogs to try and keep new breeding below 28lb.  I say try because we have allowed so many big dogs into the breeding that it would take a long while to breed it back out.  So going back to a 28lb limit would be hard if not impossible.

Back