The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

kickboards

I think some people just sit thinking what can we say next in k9 to upset the apple cart ... at least come up with something new ..instead of all the old issues thats been debated time and time again

Whats lets say we ban anyone that dodges paying there gate money at bends lol

Last edited by a moderator:
The size of a greyhound trap is relative to the greyhound running in it.If you want to scrap kickboards then all traps should then be made relative to a whippets size.

Food for thought........

Or you could just lets things lie as they are now and let everyone have a choice. :D
DONT START ON SIZE OF WHIPPETS JAC :D
lol I'm not so much starting something (or having a dig either Maurice) It's just that I think people are being delusional if they really think greyhounds don't use the back of the trap to push off. The next time you put your dog in look at the inside of the backdoor and furthermore why on earth do dogs fall out of traps when people forget to shut the backdoor on any traps??! Surely these observations alone are proof without the polava of perspex traps.

A greyhound in a greyhound trap will be able to kick off from the back of the trap. An 18lber will not, unless they either give 1/2yd away by standing at the back of the trap (presuming a GHD trap is aprox 1yd long) or they leap out from the front with no rear support.

As for your supremes, well I recon the heavyweights will have a better chance purely because they'll be able to push off.

Looking at posts on here some recon their dogs have got injured through using kickboards and some recon from not. The fact is singular cases do not make a whole gone conclusion as to whether one is safer over another especially when there are many other factors to consider e.g. trapdoors opening slowly, incorrect angulation of kickboard for dog, slippage on the trap floor etc etc etc.

Surely it is better to have the choice like we all do now and owners can make the right decision for their individual dog?

I for one would sooner give the owner responsibility rather than take that away and jointly bear the responsibility that a decision I voted on put more dogs at injury whether it be insisting all dogs run off kickboards or all didn't.

I think some people just sit thinking what can we say next in k9 to upset the apple cart ... at least come up with something new ..instead of all the old issues thats been debated time and time again
i say ban all the shit spreaders :- :- i think you know what i mean with that :lol: :lol:

There are 4 energy/"power" pathways used in muscle, and since it's 20+ yrs since I did this I might be slightly vague as to the details;

1) ATP

2) creatine phosphate

3) Emben Myerhof

4) Krebs

1) ATP lasts one muscle contraction

2) CP lasts approx 9 seconds

3) Emden Myerhof or lactic acid lasts about 20 seconds

4) Krebs last unti body glucose is depleted

1) example olympic weightlifting

2) olympic 100m sprint

3 )olympic 400m sprint

4) olympic marathon

all the pathways segue ( merge) during muscle use at maximium potential

whippets are sprinters and ghds aren't

I'd personaly prefer some sort of resistance against a full force muscle contraction by way of a kick board in a dog bred to produce such a force than have it "slip" because it it does "slip" injury is a certainty.

There are 4 energy/"power" pathways used in muscle, and since it's 20+ yrs since I did this I might be slightly vague as to the details;
1) ATP

2) creatine phosphate

3) Emben Myerhof

4) Krebs

2) olympic 100m sprint

3 )olympic 400m sprint

4) olympic marathon

I'd personaly prefer some sort of resistance against a full force muscle contraction by way of a kick board in a dog bred to produce such a force than have it "slip" because it it does "slip" injury is a certainty.
so all that means is pink kickboards are bettre than blue ones right lol

Just got to add the final touches to Avit's kickboard :-

medium14750NOS.jpg

i would love to hear the opinions from the people that check our dogs out for us regarding kick boards so if anyone is taking there dogs to be checked out can they ask and post on here what there opinion were.

also if they were told they can cause injurys would they still use them.

but having said that we run the risk of injuries every time we put them in the traps so whos to say whos right or wrong only peoples opinions

The size of a greyhound trap is relative to the greyhound running in it.If you want to scrap kickboards then all traps should then be made relative to a whippets size.

Food for thought........

Or you could just lets things lie as they are now and let everyone have a choice. :D
lol I'm not so much starting something (or having a dig either Maurice) It's just that I think people are being delusional if they really think greyhounds don't use the back of the trap to push off. The next time you put your dog in look at the inside of the backdoor and furthermore why on earth do dogs fall out of traps when people forget to shut the backdoor on any traps??! Surely these observations alone are proof without the polava of perspex traps.

A greyhound in a greyhound trap will be able to kick off from the back of the trap. An 18lber will not, unless they either give 1/2yd away by standing at the back of the trap (presuming a GHD trap is aprox 1yd long) or they leap out from the front with no rear support.

As for your supremes, well I recon the heavyweights will have a better chance purely because they'll be able to push off.

Looking at posts on here some recon their dogs have got injured through using kickboards and some recon from not. The fact is singular cases do not make a whole gone conclusion as to whether one is safer over another especially when there are many other factors to consider e.g. trapdoors opening slowly, incorrect angulation of kickboard for dog, slippage on the trap floor etc etc etc.

Surely it is better to have the choice like we all do now and owners can make the right decision for their individual dog?

I for one would sooner give the owner responsibility rather than take that away and jointly bear the responsibility that a decision I voted on put more dogs at injury whether it be insisting all dogs run off kickboards or all didn't.

my dog is as big as a greyhound jacks, but i have looked through the back door at him, and you can have a look too if you like, he is pushing against the front door, and no way is his feet anywhere near the back door, come and have a look at him and see.... same for all.

Food for thought........

my dog is as big as a greyhound jacks, but i have looked through the back door at him, and you can have a look too if you like, he is pushing against the front door, and no way is his feet anywhere near the back door, come and have a look at him and see.... same for all.

There are 4 energy/"power" pathways used in muscle, and since it's 20+ yrs since I did this I might be slightly vague as to the details;1) ATP

2) creatine phosphate

3) Emben Myerhof

4) Krebs

2) olympic 100m sprint

3 )olympic 400m sprint

4) olympic marathon

Ooooh heck Tony that takes me back :blink: . (But not 20+ years, though I do understand your need of a drink to refresh the memory at your age :- )

(w00t)

i say ban all the shit spreaders :- :- i think you know what i mean with that :lol: :lol:
i thought you was :lol:

this is my last comment on the issue.

in my opinion athletes using starting blocks is the same principal as whippets using kickboards.

be nobody left to run :lol: :lol: :lol: :- :p :b

:clown: Lighten up for goodness sake, this is the problem not what we put in the traps, friendly debate and discussion is good though, but banning and bitching isn't good for the hobby/sport. To be fair anyone who has raced for any length of time will be used to this but for any newcomers reading our sites will probably run a mile :eek:

So anyone interested in 'Booster Boots' let me know :)

I know that ain't you ray , for one its not in capitles, and two its spelt right tehehehe

I know that ain't you ray , for one its not in capitles, and two its spelt right tehehehe
CAPITALS :lol: GOT A DICTIONARY

Back