The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Junior K9

shes a great kid. smart too, shes got me on the run in word association :sweating:

Good Idea Princess :wub:

I know there is younger members like Eve who could give tips on racing and Oakmoorehill Helens son Ben who I know is a junior show dog handler who could give tips on showing.

For extra security for our children can the PM facility be made redundant??? Anyone know at all???

:)

I've moved this topic to help and ideas in case it gets lost in Chit Chat. :thumbsup:

BeeJay said:
I've moved this topic to help and ideas in case it gets lost in Chit Chat. :thumbsup:
I think a ‘Junior forum’ might be a good idea – any volunteers for moderator…

Only problem is will parents then complain if their kids wander onto other parts of the site and see something they dont't like? I can see a flood of complaints coming in :(

Judy said:
Only problem is will parents then complain if their kids wander onto other parts of the site and see something they dont't like? I can see a flood of complaints coming in  :(
There would still have to be a strict minimum age of 13...

thats a fab idea

please do it i would be in that catergary away from ye lot lol no i like it here man :lol:

running_free said:
For extra security for our children can the PM facility be made redundant??? Anyone know at all???
The only current method is to highlight an individual members name whilst in the chatroom and select ignore, this would prevent the person contacting the member privately.

Another option I think is probably better is for parents to set up a private chatroom within chat ( select ADD then type a name into the box provided and tick it as a private room) and then your minor can invite appropiate members into that room, no-one else can access it without an invite from the creators.

Hope this helps

Nigel said:
Judy said:
Only problem is will parents then complain if their kids wander onto other parts of the site and see something they dont't like? I can see a flood of complaints coming in  :(

but i am 11,could i still be aloud if i have a parent with me nigel

Nigel said:
Judy said:

What would happen to the kids under 13 that are normal members now would they be stoped or using k9 alltogethere cos with a min age of 13 my alexs wint be abell to join for another year year if thats the case

It does in fact state on the registration page that you have to be 13 or over to join and it requires you ticking a box to confirm you have read and agreed to the rules. I'm not having a jib by the way, just pointing out that members will have already agreed to this.

Judy said:

And you started k9 for a quiet life ??? lol :teehee: .........From Whippets to .......well the possibilities are endless :p ........I personally think its a shame k9's now so big as its lost the personal feel, but hey thats progress :D

just to say thank you to every one who likes my idea :)

I'm interested in this, because my two love coming on here.

But I would be worried about security. The mere fact that there is a kid zone at all might make it attractive to the wrong sort of person. How would you know that someone wasn't pretending to be a kid just to befriend kids. There have been some very convincing trolls here on k9, after all.

I know the whole internet is a minefield on that score, but we'd have to have some kind of pinned "awareness" which gives kids tips on how to protect themselves. Actually, that might be a good way to raise their level of awareness in general.

I'll be interested to see how this develops :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
~Helen~ said:
I'm interested in this, because my two love coming on here.But I would be worried about security. The mere fact that there is a kid zone at all might make it attractive to the wrong sort of person. How would you know that someone wasn't pretending to be a kid just to befriend kids. There have been some very convincing trolls here on k9, after all.

I know the whole internet is a minefield on that score, but we'd have to have some kind of pinned "awareness" which gives kids tips on how to protect themselves. Actually, that might be a good way to raise their level of awareness in general.

I have 3 grandaughters, some time ago whilst i was out my oh allowed them on the internet, i dont allow them unless im sat with em, i traced what they had been up to, NEVER AGAIN WILL THEY USE THE INTERNET FROM MY HOME, all children in my opinion should be supervised whilst using the internet

keith

~Helen~ said:
I'm interested in this, because my two love coming on here.But I would be worried about security. The mere fact that there is a kid zone at all might make it attractive to the wrong sort of person. How would you know that someone wasn't pretending to be a kid just to befriend kids. There have been some very convincing trolls here on k9, after all.

That's the problem. I would willingly create a junior K9 forum for ages 13+ but I have great reservations and can just see my inbox filling with all sorts of complaints. However, that in itself is not a reason not to do it....

Let's hear other peoples views and think of ways it could/should be implimenmted - I'll review it again in a week or so.

PINKY P said:
how do you lot feel about a new junior k9 section,where us younger children and teenagers can chill  8) and talk about fashion,school,pets,sport,games and music!with moderated time in chat.what do you lot think about my idea!  :)
a very good idea...

nigel, would it be possible to somehow link kids memberships to that of their parents? and as another failsafe (incase this can be implemented, by maybe the adult logging on, then through them, accessing the childs 'user'?) to stop dodgy types becoming a member then pretending they have a child, only allow this facility to members who are known, have met/regularly meet other k9'ers?

Back