The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Junior K9

~Helen~ said:
I'm interested in this, because my two love coming on here.But I would be worried about security. The mere fact that there is a kid zone at all might make it attractive to the wrong sort of person. How would you know that someone wasn't pretending to be a kid just to befriend kids. There have been some very convincing trolls here on k9, after all.
These were my thoughts exactly Helen when I started reading this post. It's a great idea in theory, but do we want to set up something potentially dangerous. I think we all get so comfortable on the internet that we forget how dangerous it can be and how easy it is for people to find out information from what we say even if we think we're being careful.

Here's a morality tale on Snopes about how easy it is to find things out:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/shannon.htm

It's an example of how easy it is to work things out, do we want to provide a venue for something like this to happen?

Not wanting to be a party pooper, but it's something everyone would have to think hard about.

Wendy

WOW thats food for thought.

If junior K9 is to be set up then kids and their parents need to read that as do the moderators.

The kids need to be set strict guide lines and their parents and the moderators need to make sure they adhere to them...a difficult task yes but it will need to be done if its to work.

If its to work then I thinks its going to take time to get up and running.

Theres a lot of safety aspects to consider...did you read what chelynnah put and did you read what was in the link???

I still think its a good idea and I for one will still help ok...

Actually I wonder if that link would be good to pin at the top of the forum if/when it gets set up.

Wendy

I hope I haven't got the wrong end of the stick... but snopes states that the story isn't true, it's an urban legend... and just seeing that it's not true might make some people feel easier about things and think the danger is less.

I think the really important thing about that link is the advice in bullet points at the bottom of the web page, but some people might not read down that far:

Never tell anyone your full name, address, phone number, city or any other personal information about yourself or your family.

Watch what you put on your profile. Don't put your date of birth, especially the year. Remember you are not required to put any information on the profile you don't want to.

If anyone IM's you or e-mails you and asks where you go to school, where you live or any other personal questions you don't feel comfortable with, do not hesitate to say, "I'm sorry, I don't give out personal information" or "My parents have asked me not to tell that."

If someone sends you a e-mail form with personal information about themselves on it and suggests you fill one out just like it, be alerted and don't do it. Who knows to where and to whom it will be forwarded!

If you go into chat rooms and anyone pressures you to talk to them, won't leave you alone or asks for personal information, leave the room immediately!

If you ever get suggestive, angry or abusive messages tell your parents at once and contact the Internet provider you use and seek assistance.

Don't respond to e-mail from people you don't know. If you believe you've received something strange, tell your parents.

Never agree to meet anyone face-to-face that you have talked with online

Maybe that could form the basis for a set of pinned guidelines on Junior K9 when it's up and running?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe members of K9 Junior could have their profile 'barred' so no one can view any personal information about them. Also possibly disable the PM option and forward any incoming email to their parents account?

Just a thought :)

it's a good idea to have it barred

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe members of K9 Junior could have their profile 'barred' so no one can view any personal information about them. Also possibly disable the PM option and forward any incoming email to their parents account
Very good Ideas, any kids that use it have got to be as safe possible.

~Helen~ said:
I hope I haven't got the wrong end of the stick... but snopes states that the story isn't true, it's an urban legend... and just seeing that it's not true might make some people feel easier about things and think the danger is less.I think the really important thing about that link is the advice in bullet points at the bottom of the web page, but some people might not read down that far:

Never tell anyone your full name, address, phone number, city or any other personal information about yourself or your family.

Watch what you put on your profile. Don't put your date of birth, especially the year. Remember you are not required to put any information on the profile you don't want to.

If anyone IM's you or e-mails you and asks where you go to school, where you live or any other personal questions you don't feel comfortable with, do not hesitate to say, "I'm sorry, I don't give out personal information" or "My parents have asked me not to tell that."

If someone sends you a e-mail form with personal information about themselves on it and suggests you fill one out just like it, be alerted and don't do it. Who knows to where and to whom it will be forwarded!

If you go into chat rooms and anyone pressures you to talk to them, won't leave you alone or asks for personal information, leave the room immediately!

If you ever get suggestive, angry or abusive messages tell your parents at once and contact the Internet provider you use and seek assistance.

Don't respond to e-mail from people you don't know. If you believe you've received something strange, tell your parents.

Maybe that could form the basis for a set of pinned guidelines on Junior K9 when it's up and running?

that is good advice :thumbsup:

~Helen~ said:
I hope I haven't got the wrong end of the stick... but snopes states that the story isn't true, it's an urban legend... and just seeing that it's not true might make some people feel easier about things and think the danger is less.I think the really important thing about that link is the advice in bullet points at the bottom of the web page, but some people might not read down that far:

Yes, but that's the point of the morality tale. Though we could link to the original page where the story came from (which is at the bottom of the snopes page). It was based on things that have and could happen.

The point to the story is that the girl gave out info she thought wasn't pertinent and was. The bullet points are important, but they don't cover how easy it is to let other things slip without realising. That's the point of the post.

Wendy

Some really good points have been made about this and its something we all will have to think about if junior K9 is to get started.

All the kids that want to join should made aware of this and made to understand how important it is not to give out personal information to ANYBODY and should be told the reason why.

You're absolutely right, and I hope it works out really well. My main concern is what people perceive as 'personal information'. It's not just about name, address etc. Most kids are aware of that kind of thing. It's the little stuff that even us adults don't think much about anymore.

Anyway, won't belabour the point :D

Wendy

Your right Wendy, there will be lots of little things that we'll not have thought about...but we better had and soon if we want the younger ones to be safe :thumbsup:

Back