The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Indigo & Tarka In A Tragic Accident Yesterday

wild whippies said:
So upset to read what's happened, my heart goes out to you both.
kitty1972 said:
Roger is barely talking or looking at anyone, he keeps getting flashbacks of the event and is wondering what he could have done differently. He feels he has let Indigo and Tarka down and all of us.  I keep telling him it is not his fault and it could have happened to anyone but unfortunately he cannot see that yet.

All I would say to Roger is there's nothing he could of done to prevent this tragedy. All sighthounds are swines when something comes to ground in front of them, they switch off and no amount of screaming, shouting and chastising deters them. I have 4 peddy whippets exactly the same and have been on their case for years. It is a case of instinct, you'd struggle to stop a pit bull fighting, a terrier ragging and Newfoundlands from swimming, the same applies to whippets who live to run.

You can keep them indoors or tethered to leads all their lives and they might live to a grand old age but what quality of life is that? I admire the whippet, they live fast, take risks and live their lives to the max, even if it is sometimes a short life, it is never a poor one.

Rest In Peace Indigo, may the wind keep running through your ears. :huggles:

Get well soon Tarka, may your body be as strong as your spirit. :luck:

Jac

i agree 100% jac :thumbsup:

devestating news for you , i hope Tarka continues to make a full recovery and R.I.P indigo :(

I wish that we, between us, or just one of us (I mean the forum as a community) could find the right words to comfort your husband right now. It was not his fault, but until he's been through the grieving process in his own way he's not going to be comforted.

I'm glad you were able to see Tarka tonight. He's had the comfort of seeing you both and I'm sure that that will aid his recovery. :huggles: :huggles: Roll on Friday! :luck: :luck: :huggles:

:huggles: I am so pleased to hear that Tarka is doing so well. I hope that having your mum's whippie brings you some comfort tonight. Your poor husband, grief is a strange thing and we all express it and deal with things differently. Some insurance companies now offer pet bereavement counselling as part of their cover, mine does, it may be worth looking into if and when your husband feels ready to want to talk.

Flashbacks are horrible, I had them after my horse broke his leg and had to be PTS in a freak accident jumping a fence at home, it is related to Post Traumatic Stress which is now more widely recognised. Only thing that vaguely helped me was people constantly reassuring me that what happened was an accident, beyond my control, and as much as I could I had done everything that I could have done under the circumstances. Men are traditionally bad at expressing their emotions, he will be feeling guilt etc and worried about you too. Just be there for each other, don't pressure him to talk but hugs are very healing. :huggles:

Are there any of us not crying with you and for you :( :huggles: These Whippies break your heart but none of us would be without them. Glad you can borrow your Mum's Jessie, I am sure she will know that something is 'up' and be a great comfort to you both.

I am sure Tarka was boosted by your visit and he can go to sleep tonight knowing you are still there for him. :luck: with the x-rays and hope he continues to recover well.

He is going to be one spoilt Whippet when he gets home!! :wub: :huggles: :wub:

I am so glad that Tarka is doing well - I hope he can be home with you both soon :huggles:

I really feel for your poor poor husband - what a terrible thing he has been through. through no fault of his own - just a horrid series of devastating events.

Many :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: to both of you and :huggles: for Tarka

Oh my goodness what a awfull time you have had.

Wishing you all a speedy recovery.

Lots of luck to Tarka and kind wishes to yourself and Roger XXXXXXXX

This is just completely awful and so devastating for you - my heart is with you :huggles:

What an awful tradgedy :( My heart goes out to both you and your husband. I pray that Tarka goes on to make a full recovery and perhaps in time you may feel able to welcome another little soul into your family. RIP Indigo, you beautiful little girl xx

My thoughts are with you at this sad time,please take care

Fingerscrossed for a full recovery to Tarka :luck: :luck: :luck:

Jayne x

How is Tarka today? I hope he's making good progress :luck: :luck: :luck: and :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: to you all.

Jill

x

I have just had some good news from the Vet. Tarka has had another Xray and the airsac on his lungs has gone. His lungs are showing less bruising too.

He can hobble on his back leg and although it is going to be a long recovery and a big adjustment to his quality of life he is looking okay.

I can collect him at 5.15pm and I cannot wait to have him back home where he belongs and give him the love and care he needs right now.

I am SO proud of him and so pleased he has pulled through.

Once again I must thank you all for every comment on here, I cannot tell you how much strength and comfort you have all given me these last few days. I know that will all go a long way helping me to be strong for Tarka, Roger and the kids.

XX

I bet you're counting the minutes until you can collect your brave boy and take him home.

Jill

x

Awwwwwwwwww that is wonderful news,Tarka coming home :thumbsup: :huggles: :huggles:

kitty1972 said:
I have just had some good news from the Vet. Tarka has had another Xray and the airsac on his lungs has gone. His lungs are showing less bruising too.He can hobble on his back leg and although it is going to be a long recovery and a big adjustment to his quality of life he is looking okay.

I can collect him at 5.15pm and I cannot wait to have him back home where he belongs and give him the love and care he needs right now.

Once again I must thank you all for every comment on here, I cannot tell you how much strength and comfort you have all given me these last few days. I know that will all go a long way helping me to be strong for Tarka, Roger and the kids.

XX

What great news that he is on the mend

Once he is home and surrounded by love he will do well and hopefully that will help both of you get through this awful time.

Thinking of you all at this sad time

:huggles: i'm so glad Tarka is getting better and coming home :huggles:

i'm sure he will improve much faster when he's back home with you,

wishing you all the luck in the world for him :luck: :luck: :luck:

becka

Sorry to hear of the tragic death of your whippet :huggles: and I hope Tarka will make a good recovery :luck: and will be running soon

kitty1972 said:
I have just had some good news from the Vet. Tarka has had another Xray and the airsac on his lungs has gone. His lungs are showing less bruising too.He can hobble on his back leg and although it is going to be a long recovery and a big adjustment to his quality of life he is looking okay.

XX

What excellent news... :thumbsup: give Tarka an extra special hug from me... :huggles:

Im sure Tarka ,will heal all the more quickly for being at home woth his family :huggles: Just take one day at a time

beaker said:
:huggles: i'm so glad Tarka is getting better and coming home  :huggles:
i'm sure he will improve much faster when he's back home with you,

wishing you all the luck in the world for him  :luck:   :luck:   :luck:

becka

My sentiments exactly! :huggles: to Tarka :luck: :wub:

I've already left an earlier message but after reading how your poor husband is feeling I thought i'd just add that IMO Bach Flower Remedies can be helpful. As a complementary therapist I use them myself and often recommend them to clients. You can get them in Boots and health shops, Star of Bethlehem is good for shock.

I can understand how your husband must feel, no matter what people say you still keep thinking but what 'if' - when you are in that sort of turmoil you aren't really thinking rationally. I keep thinking about what happened to your lovely whippets so god know's how you must all be feeling.

I am so happy that Tarka is doing well and is coming home today.

Back