The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Hunting Rabbits With Dogs Your Views

fallenangel said:
your only jealoues cos we got asds as well as nettos bags and theres even an odd home bargins one in for good mesure what a catch and all done in one day  we ran then sepratly one in asda were tony has permison and one up the hight street were i have permision :lol:   :lol:

Our favourite hunting ground is Lidl's, nice big meaty bags not the skinny rubbish you get from Tescos :- "

Do you think the Google ad robot hasn't really go the hang of this thread? :b

bunnybit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
wendy i always thought you where a bit mad but this just confirms it gave me a good laugh though thanks :D

Whilst I am against hunting fox's :- " I think if a dog chases a rabbit whilst out walking then this is a natural thing I also think there is more chance of the dog being injured than the rabbit :- " so walk mine on a lead (w00t)

JoJess said:
Whilst I am against hunting fox's  :- "  I think if a dog chases a rabbit whilst out walking then this is a natural thing I also think there is more chance of the dog being injured than the rabbit  :- "  so walk mine on a lead  (w00t)
I respect your opinion about your against fox hunting, because if we all thought the same it would be a dull world indeed,

but as fox hunting is banned now there will be given time NO or VERY FEW rabbits to hunt as the fox population will grow and grow and grow and there will be NO rabbits for our dogs to hunt,

it makes me wonder about those who depend on hunting with dogs, what will happen to them? :(

as I know in my area, the farmers are against useing poison for fear of it somehow getting to the livestock, and they can't wait up all night to shoot them either.

I respect your opinion about your against fox hunting, because if we all thought the same it would be a dull world indeed,

but as fox hunting is banned now there will be given time NO or VERY FEW rabbits to hunt as the fox population will grow and grow and grow and there will be NO rabbits for our dogs to hunt,

it makes me wonder about those who depend on hunting with dogs, what will happen to them? :(

as I know in my area, the farmers are against useing poison for fear of it somehow getting to the livestock, and they can't wait up all night to shoot them either.

First of all don't worry about the foxes catching all of the rabbits. Foxes are terrotorial 10 months of the year which keeps there numbers at a steedy level. Plus since hunting has been banned the land owners whom liked hunting always asked the gamekeepers to leave the odd fox for the hunt. Now we shoot them all.

Secondly it is illegal to poison foxes.

You mean it is illegal to poison fox's but not to shoot them ??

WHY do we have to kill our dumb friends at all...and before you all shout at me yes I know the damage they can do......... but they are beautifull creatures and after all were they not here before us :b

JoJess said:
You mean it is illegal to poison fox's but not to shoot them ??

WHY do we have to kill our dumb friends at all...and before you all shout at me yes I know the damage they can do......... but they are beautifull creatures and after all were they not here before us  :b

I didn't know it was illegal to poison foxes :blink: (bet most farmers don't know that either)

foxes are beautiful to look at but you have got to remember that they are deadly preditors also, and they are the top of thier food chain as we have no wild animals who hunt them,

so numbers will get out of hand and as the population grows rabbits will become few, if thier food source becomes scarce they will turn to livestock more than they do now.

Mally the famers around here don't have gamekeepers nor do most of the farmers own guns, I think now that fox hunting is banned that they will be buying guns though.

both rabbit and fox populations seem to be decimated by the devistatingly cruel desease's of myxamatosis and mange (the later being transferable to your beloved pets) after a surge in population has been noted, post F &M was about the worst that i've seen. trouble is our 'dumb freinds' don't have a clue about birth control.

hunting with dogs was the fairest way of control- culling of the weakest and controling numbers ensures the long term health of the species,

gassing, shooting, poisoning (it does go on), snares, and traps etc make no allowences to an animals health status. young, old, healthy, sick, they are all taken. these methods also continue year round, breeding seasons tend not to be concidered unlike the controled hunting seasons, as no self respecting hunter would want to leave cubs to starve to death without their mother-this would be cruel. i'm not so keen on the words 'fair game' i think 'fair chance' sums it up better.

the people who can't see beyond 'killing being bad' are doing more damage to the animals they love than they could ever understand.

we have had a nasty case of myxy recently near us and apart from the odd dead or dying i have not seen any rabbits on my walks for months, sorry if i offend in any way but the sight of an animal suffering an appalling, slow, wretched death does not appeal to me.

I think mange wiped out our local fox earth a few years back - saw lots of near-death ones, then none for a year. Sadly they seem to have repopulated very quickly and are now chewing through my poultry runs again.

I don't think life as a wild fox is terribly pleasant if you don't have a territory - we had a couple of dead ones in the woods behind us this spring (I think the neighbours probably though WE were responsible :- " ); there was a lot of noise of fighting each night, so I think they were probably just killed by the other foxes ( not before one snatched my only exhibition-quality silkie :rant: )

There is a new rabbit disease - Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease. My father-in-law noticed loads of dead bunnies in his garden a couple of years back, with blood stains on the nose/mouth. He initially thought they'd been poisoned, and so asked the local vet (they're in Warks) about it and he confirmed it was RHD.

more on RHD

When animal is chased by a dog it either dies or survives, there is no in between - which is why it is the fairest means of pupulation control. The death is very quick, unlike myxi, mange or poisoning, a bad shot etc etc

I think the hunting law as it stands now is terribly bad for the welfare of many animals as it encourages the use of guns - many of which will be in inexperienced hands :( :(

I have seen quite a few rabbits with myxi near me in the last few weeks, in absolutely disgusting states - the only humane choice then is to ensure they are quickly dispatched.

~JO~ said:
When animal is chased by a dog it either dies or survives, there is no in between - which is why it is the fairest means of pupulation control.  The death is very quick, unlike myxi, mange or poisoning, a bad shot etc etc
I think the hunting law as it stands now is terribly bad for the welfare of many animals as it encourages the use of guns - many of which will be in inexperienced hands  :(   :(

I have seen quite a few rabbits with myxi near me in the last few weeks, in absolutely disgusting states - the only humane choice then is to ensure they are quickly dispatched.

Agree with Jo on this one, I have seen many a rabbit round my parts dying a slow horrible death from myxi. Would far rather my dogs finished them off quickly which is what they do quite often. (AND I FOR ONE ALSO KEEP RABBITS AS PETS)
A fox now has no natural predator where years ago had the wolf, or large polecats, so I think its necessary to keep fox numbers down.

The peacocks at the farm where I work were all killed by foxes one xmas and they didnt even eat them just kill them, de-head them aNd leave them :rant: (ALMOST FOR PLEASURE ID SAY)

As far as Im concerned its countryside management.

Some good sensible down to earth posts there.

Another thing that people don't seem to understand is the conservation side of the hunt I can only speak first hand on the hunts that I have any involvement with but I'm sure it's the same throughut the country. Many of the Masters/Whips etc: are also farmers/landowners and will save copses/hedges for the benefit of their quarry whether that be the Fox, Hare or Deer with these setaside areas many other birds,mammals and plants also benefit hugely.

The english countryside is pretty much man made by those that understand it and I think it's best left to those to decide what they want to do.

A fox has no natural predators except man, and is therefore not accustomed to being chased.

Also if, and only if, there is a specific problem with a fox in one area, then shooting by a trained marksman is the only humane way to deal with the problem.

Why are foxes pests, and WHY do they need to be destroyed somehow.

The countryside belongs to us all and horray for the ban on hunting Fox's :cheers:

JoJess said:
A fox has no natural predators except man, and is therefore not accustomed to being chased.
Also if, and only if, there is a specific problem with a fox in one area, then shooting by a trained marksman is the only humane way to deal with the problem.

Why are  foxes  pests, and WHY do they need to be destroyed somehow.

The countryside belongs to us all and horray for the ban on hunting Fox's  :cheers:

Ive been invoved in hunting most of my life and try to avoid debating on the subject you either are or not and every one has a right to an opinion but from what i have just read you are just "stirring the pot"

i

masta said:
JoJess said:

The countryside belongs to us all and horray for the ban on hunting Fox's  :cheers:

Ive been invoved in hunting most of my life and try to avoid debating on the subject you either are or not and every one has a right to an opinion but from what i have just read you are just "stirring the pot"

i

I agree with Masta if you are so anti hunt why are you reading this section of the board :unsure:

Should have also mentioned that my little Spry coursed her first rabbit the other day in the woods whilst out running, I can't post any pics anyway it got away, :- " but she gave it a good go :thumbsup:

JoJess said:

If it wasn't for people like us and the conservation minded farmers and hunts there wouldn't be any wildlife or countryside for us to enjoy.

As for a trained marksman i've been shooting a large calibre rifle for over 15 years and i still wound the occasional fox. I don't know of a marksman that wouldn't. Thats why my dog is always at my side just in case.

It think you would have a change of heart if you lost all of your chickens to a fox or your dogs caught mange from a fox.

Foxes are Pests and do need to be controlled .

Back