The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Hunting Rabbits With Dogs Your Views

>If there is a new forum, dedicated to lure chasing, I for one would object to the word "coursing" being used.....

Whilst I understand what you are saying John. Nevertheless lure coursing is a recognised and established sighthound pastime. In the US for example coursing as we know it is known as Open Field Coursing or OFC and coursing is in fact what we know to be lure coursing.

Words often have many meanings. IMO as long as we understand what is meant by the word used in it's context then what does it matter.

When coursing, a dog is judged on its' ability to turn and control the quarry, often away from the dog with which it is running....In lure coursing, the lure turns of its' own accord, because the string goes around a roller, that doesn't seem to require the same skill from the dog???
You know, i've never actually looked at it in that way before John, but you're quite right!

Havng won a couple of best in fields with the B.S.H.A. and a few reasonably prestigious awards within the N.W.C.C., Hannah (eg. Champion Whippet 2004-2005 8) )...I think that I am entitled to an opinion :p ......That doesn't mean to say that my opinion is worth any more than anyone elses.....But as far as I know, we still live in a free country.

Nice to hear from you again.....I wondered why I didn't come on k9 so much these days......it's all coming back to me now :wacko: :wacko:

i think its should be called running dog chasing after nettos bag that goes round

rollers lol

An excellent, descriptive name Wendy. :thumbsup: Just perfect!

fallenangel said:
i think its should be called running dog chasing after nettos bag that goes round rollers lol

If you add..." judged by person who has much to gain financially, if his dogs, or those related to his should win"........then I agree entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to hear from you again.....I wondered why I didn't come on k9 so much these days......it's all coming back to me now

Glad to hear it .......Just remember who was nasty about who's breeding first :thumbsup: .......Oh I've remembered it was you ......Slating my bitch and her breeding ......Glad to have this sorted ......and glad my bitches breeders know the full story (as hey they know nothing about breeding a decent coursing or racing dog :- " ) ..........now stop playing the victim ........

Strike Whippets said:
Nice to hear from you again.....I wondered why I didn't come on k9 so much these days......it's all coming back to me now

Glad to hear it .......Just remember who was nasty about who's breeding first :thumbsup: .......Oh I've remembered it was you ......Slating my bitch and her breeding ......Glad to have this sorted ......and glad my bitches breeders know the full story (as hey they know nothing about breeding a decent coursing or racing dog :- " ) ..........now stop playing the victim ........

No......I don't remember being nasty about you, or your dogs.... there you go...I may have said what I believe to be the truth, and it may not have suited...but I still don't really know what you are refering to....Although I have no desire to fall out, I can't say that I am losing any sleep....see you around.

I may have said what I believe to be the truth, and it may not have suited..

Hmm prehaps thats it ..........I remember innocently answering a question about the champs aswell and you took it personally and issued me a challenge :wacko: .......Like you I certainly lose no sleep over you or your dogs ......Might see you around I guess, but my pup's are out of a "jibbing" bitch so i'll shoot them now :thumbsup:

Groan.........I hope you enjoy your hobby as much as I do....and find your dogs a relief from the stress of work and day to day living......as I do.

Strike Whippets said:
(w00t)   groan all you like ......My dogs are my life, not just a hobby and I do resent any of them being slated ......plus I never forget  :thumbsup: .....nor do Inca's breeders  :unsure:
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you know what this reminds me of? A website called earthdog running dog that was just about ruined by in fighting!

Everybody has an opinion don't take it personally and chill out!

Rae I DOOOO get pleasure out of my dogs catching rabbits, sorry if this offends you, but when I am out in the middle of the night with my lamp in the freezing wind and drizzle doing a job for a farmer I want my dog to catch efficiently!

Some of the runs are so exciting, twisting, turning diving takes into bushes and fences wih the end result being a dead rabbit.

It isn't the fact that the rabbit is dead that I am getting enjoyment from, merely that the dog has worked well and brought to conclusion swiftly the pests demise.

Shamelessly I get pleasure from the deaths of all the rats that my dogs catch!

I am always happy as my dog is crunching and ragging a large rat! squeezing the life from it before my eyes.

I'll bet that offends significantly less people than the rabbits death, why!!!!!?????

Incidently the pictures posted on here were neither gory or OTT all the rabbits look to have been cleany taken and despatched.

..." judged by person who has much to gain financially, if his dogs, or those related to his should win"........
OK I think it's time to clarify a few issues that Mr Greenwood has raised.

Financial Gain,~ everyone who has run at the lure coursing will know this already (including Johns good friend Scott) that all money goes into a pot, each event the winner gets a framed certificate and from time to time we have other things on offer.

as well as that at the end of every year all the members and their close relatives (parntners/children even if they haven't attended) go out for a meal and drinks.(ALL THIS PAID FOR OUT OF THE SAID POT COSTING THOSE PRESENT NOTHING)

i'm sure they will all agree there is no limit on how many drinks they have.

Then equipment doesn't get given away or maintained/replaced by it's self? it all cost money (again from the pot).

So you realy need to get your facts correct John before you get yourself into a situation of slander.

in 4 years of running the Lure Coursing, my dogs have only won 4 meetings so I seem to be doing something wronge if all I set it up for was to get some easy wins for my dogs?.

and as anyone who runs will verify everyone is invited to have a go at judging no special qualifications needed cos winning isnt what matters a freindly day out with like minded people enjoying their dogs doing what they enjoy doing is what matters.

and yes anything left over after everything is paid out (which isnt a great deal normaly) does get split between myself & the other person who set this up with me.

may have said what I believe to be the truth, and it may not have suited..
You could realy do with finding out the truth before you post, (Facts not hear say!)

So come on John how big is Barney now? you see I deal in facts John (having measured him for his racing passport)

Do you know what this reminds me of? A website called earthdog running dog that was just about ruined by in fighting!Everybody has an opinion don't take it personally and chill out!

Rae I DOOOO get pleasure out of my dogs catching rabbits, sorry if this offends you, but when I am out in the middle of the night with my lamp in the freezing wind and drizzle doing a job for a farmer I want my dog to catch efficiently!

Some of the runs are so exciting, twisting, turning diving takes into bushes and fences wih the end result being a dead rabbit.

It isn't the fact that the rabbit is dead that I am getting enjoyment from, merely that the dog has worked well and brought to conclusion swiftly the pests demise.

Shamelessly I get pleasure from the deaths of all the rats that my dogs catch!

I am always happy as my dog is crunching and ragging a large rat! squeezing the life from it before my eyes.

I'll bet that offends significantly less people than the rabbits death, why!!!!!?????

Incidently the pictures posted on here were neither gory or OTT all the rabbits look to have been cleany taken and despatched.
Hi Andy,

A great post that explains the feeling you get perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I remind all posters to review the K9 Board Rules - in particular

We require all posts to be appropriate, constructive, and on topic. We may delete or move individual posts that could ruin a good topic thread. We reserve the right to remove any topics or posts we deem inappropriate or disruptive to our community. Please note that, from time to time, posts may be removed for being inappropriate even though the individual post in that topic may have been perfectly fine. Please do not feel this reflects badly on the poster.

Having fun is good, we like fun. There are general forums for none dog related topics. Please keep it positive and polite. We do not censor opinions or ideas on our forums but we do take action against posts and/or topics that could cause unrest in the community beyond a civil and polite disagreement.

You must not make personal attacks on other persons, organisations or users, either in public forums or private messages.

This is the last warning...

This thread was proving really interesting reading, such a shame it completely went off topic for a while there :(

this is what you catch with a 3 1/2 legged whippet and a lurcher scared of bunnys :lol: :lol: :lol:

your only jealoues cos we got asds as well as nettos bags and theres even an odd home bargins one in for good mesure what a catch and all done in one day

we ran then sepratly one in asda were tony has permison and one up the hight street were i have permision :lol: :lol:

Back