The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Devon Festival 2009

Fleesh said:
I'm hoping to drive down on the Saturday morning, park up in the car somewhere on Saturday night, stay on Sunday for Consolation then go home Sunday after racing  :sweating:
You're only young once after all and we've been racing 6yrs and never been able to go to Devon so I'd like to make the trip at least once. Though 7 dogs and two people in a Fiat Punto ... could be interesting  :unsure:

u wud b surprised @ how much u can get in a small car fleesh lol 1st time we went to dingwall we had a tiny suzuki swift. us two , two dogs, two cages, two sleeping bags, blow up bed and a tent pmsl i always remember donnas face as we emptied the car im sure she thought we had a tardis or something :lol:

sherry said:
i havent got it upstairs @ the mo but its to do with the council geoff and they r only allowed 2 have it @ aycliffe every 4 years now so next time it will b or cud b there is 2012 and they have to let the council know 2 years earlier 2010. im still gutted its gone to devon coz i cant go  :(   but it cant b helped that its had to leave aycliffe.  :(
Thanks Carole :thumbsup:

So by the sound of that The Derby could possibly have been cancelled altogether in 2009 :unsure:

Can't wait till next year :thumbsup: its unbeleivable the amount of offers of help we've had to run this event :thumbsup: thank you each and everyone of you :cheers: :)

Geoff

Last edited by a moderator:
i do hope it does get moved round the country for the next 4 years coz if its at devon for the next 4 years i doubt id b able to go :(

sherry said:
i do hope it does get moved round the country for the next 4 years coz if its at devon for the next 4 years i doubt id b able to go :(
I think if you really wanted to go Carole, you could travel down friday evening and return home sunday :thumbsup: other than that, you could always throw a sicky in :x :D

bit too far 4 that geoff worsceter was far enuf 5 hours 4 us to there with the caravan. :(

Thats a really long way to expect people like Carole to travel! Not really much fun for a weekend is it when you spend 3/4 of it sat in the car!

Personally i am worried lots of the atmosphere is going to be lost due to the fact that the derby has now merged with Devon's holiday, lots of people WONT BE ABLE to attend, there are not a great deal of facilties near the trackside (has it been confirmed if camping is on the field yet?) and there is not really anywhere for people to go outside of racing the night life in cullumpton is hardly electric, and i dont think a presentation on the field is fitting for the derby!

All very negative i know, but personally i just think these are all things that need to be considered and doesnt look like there is much room for compromise either! Meaning lots of racers will miss out!

sherry said:
bit too far 4 that geoff worsceter was far enuf 5 hours 4 us to there with the caravan. :(
You could sleep in your new van :thumbsup: your Peter could get his head down in the glove compartment :lol:

After speaking to Wendy Potts and Vern Hutchings, It is now confirmed that the Devon Festival Club open (TOP TEN POINTS) on the wednesday 17th of June, will include a memorial trophy for Joyce Hutchings (kindly sponsered by Sue Rodgers) and also a memorial trophy in memory of June Steele, sponsered by myself and Hazel.

jade scott said:
Thats a really long way to expect people like Carole to travel! Not really much fun for a weekend is it when you spend 3/4 of it sat in the car!
Personally i am worried lots of the atmosphere is going to be lost due to the fact that the derby has now merged with Devon's holiday, lots of people WONT BE ABLE to attend, there are not a great deal of facilties near the trackside (has it been confirmed if camping is on the field yet?) and there is not really anywhere for people to go outside of racing the night life in cullumpton is hardly electric, and i dont think a presentation on the field is fitting for the derby!

All very negative i know, but personally i just think these are all things that need to be considered and doesnt look like there is much room for compromise either! Meaning lots of racers will miss out!

I'll pass on your concerns to the Derby organisers Jade :thumbsup:

milly said:
After speaking to Wendy Potts and Vern Hutchings, It is now confirmed that the Devon Festival Club open (TOP TEN POINTS) on the wednesday 17th of June, will include a memorial trophy for Joyce Hutchings (kindly sponsered by Sue Rodgers) and also a memorial trophy in memory of June Steele, sponsered by myself and Hazel.
Top Ten on a Wednesday thats fine for people who can manage time off work for a holiday but for anyone who is working seems a bit unfair for a Top Ten to be midweek...... ooops sorry joining the ranks of negativity - sorry !!!!!

I'm pleased Junes open will be kept in Devon its only right :thumbsup: you only had to ask for the present trophy you would be welcome to it im sure instead of playing the mater fletch :( hope devon goes well for you :luck: but do agree totaly with jades views regarding the derby

Ditto said:
milly said:
Top Ten on a Wednesday thats fine for people who can manage time off work for a holiday but for anyone who is working seems a bit unfair for a Top Ten to be midweek...... ooops sorry joining the ranks of negativity - sorry !!!!!

Can see your point Karen, but its the only day available, and don't you think it would be silly of us to turn down top ten points.

mutley said:
top ten points on a week day pathetic

Gary why are you so negative about ONE Top Ten open midweek when there is loads of Top Ten opens all over the country on a saturday when alot of people who can not attend but nobody complains

i have an opinion same as you vicky or mark just cant see the point why couldnt it be on the other weekend to the derby

:( fletcher you are really pathetic whats wrong with Linda's post :blink: you talk about respect mmm :( i think it is a good gesture to hand the existing trophy over to Devon any way dont think its the right thing to argue over when the open is dedicated to such a well respected memorial to a lovely lady so thats it from me :luck:

I would like to see it run for at Maltby :thumbsup: this is where Tommy and June lived, and it would be easier for Tommy to attend, being that he doesn't travel to many opens.Also this was Junes local club

why doesnt someone just ask Tommy were he would like it that would solve the problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Back