The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Affix

jayp said:
Mine is a mix of surnames PENNANCE and CLEAVER,mine and my bestist friend Heather we are now in partenership, Heather keeps bitches and me dogs and as we live only 10 mins away from each other we hope it will be lots of fun!!!!!!! :huggles:   :huggles: jan

ive just clicked who you are :blink: god im dim lol (w00t)

What a great topic! My affix is Infamous and everybody, especially English-speaking people, keep asking me why on Earth do you have an affix like that! (w00t)

Well, the whippet that was supposed to be the Dam of the first Infamous litter is Nimrodel Infamy. Unfortunately, she did not have any puppies, but there are 2 litters of dachshunds registered as Infamous. In Finland where I live, people don´t usually know the meaning of "infamous", they usually think it has something to do with famous... :D And the Finnish usually pronounce it like in_famous.

I kind of like the word, how it sounds and how it looks in writing, maybe I´m a bit twisted. :blink: :- " It was easy get from the FCI... :- "

Hopefully the first Infamous whippets will be born next year...

TC said:
I'm really loving this topic, and would like to put another question to everyone about affixes if I may  :b
Say you wanted to have your own affix, but knew that you had no intention to breed yourself (e.g. you only kept boys  (w00t) ) I know you can add the affix to a 'bought in' dog, but can you do this anyway you like?

i.e. blahblahblah at your affix

or  blahblahblah with your affix

or  blahblahblah for your affix

or  blahblahblah in your affix

where blahblahblah denotes the KC registered name (which could well include the affix of the breeder you are purchasing from)

I don't know if I'm making myself clear, or if I'm just making an idiot of myself  :b but I suppose I just need to know if there are only set words you could use like at and for or whether you have a bit of dicretion  :- "

Thanks in advance, and sorry for waffling on  (w00t)

All mine are at Calenna because thats us if you know what I mean, none of mine are actually 'calenna blahblah', only for racing but blahblah at Calenna officially :lol: and when I got the Affix I wasnt sure if I would breed, still not really I just liked the Idea of having one especially as its their racing names and it gives a name to who we are really as a group,does that make sense :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
As I don't breed, I don't have an affix, but I also think this topic is quite interesting.

Many Scandinavian whippet breeders choose English affixes (because the breed is English I guess). However, I just thought I would share a couple of those that don't with this board for the amusement of the English-speaking members...

There is Full Fart (Swedish for "Full Speed") and there is Frifart (Norwegian for "Free Speed") :oops:

I know I have asked this question on a similar thread before, but perhaps someone else is reading this one: Does anyone know the story behind the late Mrs Knight's Dondelayo affix? I always thought it had such a lovely ring to it - obviously not marred by the beautiful dogs this kennel produced.

Well, CITYCROFT was actually about my 25th choice!! I was having an email tennis match with a lady at the KC trying to come up with something. :)

City is because i am a season ticket holder at Manchester City. :b

Croft because our road is 'Caldercrofts'.

I can't even remember what my other choices were now and im quite happy with citycroft. :)

Both mine are 'at' Citycroft. Not decided if i will keep to this arrangement or be a bit more adventurous next time! :lol:

Mine came from an anigram of Elizabeth, very boring really. All the names I came up with were taken or too similar.

Now I'v set myself the task of puttin Z in all the names :lol: :lol: (w00t)

bardmand said:
As I don't breed, I don't have an affix, but I also think this topic is quite interesting.
Many Scandinavian whippet breeders choose English affixes (because the breed is English I guess). However, I just thought I would share a couple of those that don't with this board for the amusement of the English-speaking members...

There is Full Fart (Swedish for "Full Speed") and there is Frifart (Norwegian for "Free Speed")  :oops:

I know I have asked this question on a similar thread before, but perhaps someone else is reading this one: Does anyone know the story behind the late Mrs Knight's Dondelayo affix? I always thought it had such a lovely ring to it - obviously not marred by the beautiful dogs this kennel produced.

I bet they go like the wind :- " :oops:

Sorry couldnt resist :teehee: thanks for that bard made me giggle :lol:

After several non starters with the KC, we chose Scarletfair, Vicky my fawn bitch from Daphne Raines was called Tumblers Scarlet Fair, so we decided to use the Scarlet Fair bit

:- "

Heres a picture of Vicky winning under Jennys dad (quintessense)

Vicky was just 6 months and 2 days old !!!!!! (w00t)

post_36_1161004784_thumb.jpg

The DEWERSTONE is a huge granit outcrop which overlooks where the rivers Plym and Meavy meet, which is reasonably near where we live, and I have walked the dogs there on many occasions. (Picture attached) Dewerstone translates as "Devil's Stone" and the tale goes that Satan's Hell Hounds would chase dodgy souls over the edge of the rock to their deaths. Seems kind of appropriate considering the mad whippets I live with. Ironically, I didn't know the story until after I'd chosen the name, so maybe it was just meant to be.

I wanted ILMOR originally. It's a Formula 1 connection - Ilmor are the company who make the McLaren Mercedes engines for their race cars. I chose it for my house name and my Dog Grooming Service, but unfortuanately, the KC wouldn't let me have it as my affix.

Reg was in the stud book before it was granted, hence he's not got Dewerstone added. Archie is AT Dewerstone, because it sounded right. Murray is Alonza Conspiracy Theory FOR Dewerstone - I wasn't supposed to be having a puppy, but I fell in love with him and decided I couldn't live without him. His breeder chose film titles for the names for the litter. I picked the Mel Gibson film, Conspiracy Theory because a) it's a good movie and b) there was a bit of a conspiracy about me getting him (my OH didn't know anything about it!!) As Stanley is Silkstone Ensign, he had to be OVER Dewerstone - an ensign is a flag which flies over Dewerstone!

WELL, IT ALL SEEMS LOGICAL TO ME!!

Louise

DEWER1.jpg

Ours is Mossbawnhill and is the Affix our Thorough-Breds were & are bred under. It originally came from the old townland name of where we live,it is called Mossbawn and we live at the bottom of a hill......hence Mossbawnhill.

We have a few dogs here bought from other breeders and we have chosen "over", "to" & "of" Mossbawnhill.

Hi, it's Liz here, posting on Jan's computer as mine is still kaput!! :rant:

I used to work with an Italian girl, Monica, who used to always moan at me when my paperwork was late AGAIN. She used to say "Liz you are a MONELLAH!" which she told me meant 'naughty girl'. :clown:

So, when I came to register my affix, for my first litter of Italian Greyhound puppies, I decided to use the plural, Monelli, which means 'naughty children'- as that's just what they are like! :wub:

Liz and the Monellis

My first love was racing Greyhounds and all my dogs were by a dog called MULCAIR ROCKET , a very good irish bred dog I used to help look after and race . He got through to the final of the Greyhound Derby in the 70`s but broke his toe in the semis :(

As it was by showing one of Fawnies daughters Jemma , that got me started in showing I though a greyhound affix was appropraite I thought of` Monelle and `Pigalle` , and `Fearless` , 3 very famous greyhound kennel s but OH and I decided that Mulcair seemed the right name for my whippets . Its still a famous kennel in Ireland in the Irish stud book (Bord na gon ) :b something like that.

Unfortuantley I never got to put it on my first two whippets as they gained their Stud book numbers before I got my affix . But Mulcair was my first choice :cheers:

I haven't got one and don't know if I'll ever need one :wacko:

but would like walkmoore, cos moore is the surname of most of our family (execpt me! :- " ), added to all our first name initials:

Wayne, Alison, Lewis & Kieran

WALKMOORE - think I might try it, just in case :thumbsup:

What a great topic! :)

My original prefix 30 years ago was RAJIKI which means comrade in Swahili (or so I was told) because then I only had Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

With the addition of a Gordon Setter, in the mid 1980's we changed our prefix to RIDGESETTER. Clever eh? :lol:

With the addition of the whippets, I did try to change again to Whipridge but this was taken (and not by a whippet or RR breeder!), so we just stayed with Ridgesetter.

Cheers

lizzyb said:
Mine came from an anigram of Elizabeth, very boring really. All the names I came up with were taken or too similar. Now I'v set myself the task of puttin Z in all the names  :lol:   :lol:   (w00t)

Its funny what you imagine about prefix's. I thought yours was, I'l bath these Whippets :oops:

Myself and my dad came up with our affix Speymalt as my parents live about 5 miles from the mouth of the river spey which is beautiful just like our whippets and my dad job is making whisky hence the Speymalt ! X x

ROBADAW is from part of hubby's name and mine. ROBERT AND DAWN :D :D :D :D

Back