The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Affix

My Affix came from my first Boxer, who I named after one of my Grannies dogs, hers was called medlar (after the fruit) But I called mine meddler, she was a boxer after all.

I then produced Meddling from that - it is now used for my user names and email address...which has raised a few eye brows as I'm the Church Warden, and meddling@... is quite an interesting address!!!

Also was not allowed on another forum cos they thought I was a spammer with that user name :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
meddling said:
My Affix came from my first Boxer, who I named after one of my Grannies dogs, hers was called medlar (after the fruit)  But I called mine meddler, she was a boxer after all.
I then produced Meddling from that - it is now used for my user names and email address...which has raised a few eye brows as I'm the Church Warden, and meddling@... is quite an interesting address!!!

Also was not allowed on another forum cos they thought I was a spammer with that user name :blink:

[SIZE=21pt]LOL!! [/SIZE] :lol: :oops:

doris said:
I haven't got one and don't know if I'll ever need one :wacko:
but would like walkmoore, cos moore is the surname of most of our family (execpt me! :- " ), added to all our first name initials:

Wayne, Alison, Lewis & Kieran

WALKMOORE - think I might try it, just in case :thumbsup:

Just for the record, I did try Walkmoore and couldn't get it, then tried SUNWALK, which was SUN from our first whippet Sunny, and WALK from our initials, but we couldn't get that either :angry:

But they did accept SUNWALKERS (w00t) , which we've had for about a year now :thumbsup: I love it, it means something to me personally and I think it sounds appropriate for a whippet :huggles:

And spookily enough, the name matches a picture I had done for Wayne the Christmas before this thread had even been started :blink: :wacko: which also the design of my tattoo (w00t) so it all weirdly ended up tied in together ;)

tattoo.JPG

We choose Celticmoon because Huntersmoon was already taken. [we so wanted this one] and as im a celt anyway if seemed fitting and proper.

Mike at Celticmoon.

We choose Celticmoon because Huntersmoon was already taken. [we so wanted this one] and as im a celt anyway if seemed fitting and proper.

Mike at Celticmoon.

I used to train a few greyhounds for a very nice couple sadly both passed away now.

It would be nothing for them to pay a few thousand for a dog they would always let me race them as if they were mine, as long as i told them that they were racing on certin nights they were happy, they bought a beautiful black dog it was the last one i had for them, he was fav to win the Welsh derby but he hurt himself in the semi final and i retiered him his name was willing wispy i had him for the rest of his days he was a proper gentleman it was a very sad day when he went so i decided i would use his name as my affix in memory of him.

lesley smeath said:
I used to train a few greyhounds for a very nice couple sadly both passed away now.It would be nothing for them to pay a few thousand for a dog they would always let me race them as if they were mine, as long as i told them that they were racing on certin nights they were happy, they bought a beautiful black dog it was the last one i had for them, he was fav to win the Welsh derby but he hurt himself in the semi final and i retiered him his name was willing wispy i had him for the rest of his days he was a proper gentleman it was a  very sad day when he went so i decided i would use his name as my affix in memory of him.

what a beautiful tribute :)

Hi Guys what a great topic it is great to find out how people got there prefix mine was very easy MYSKYAN (My ) from my whippets Name (Myah ) ( SKY ) my daughters Name SKYE and ( AN ) is the first two letters from my husbands name Andrew so that is how i got mine

Hi All

My Affix came into being whilst I was watching the film "Cabaret" starring Liza Minnelli

She started to sing "life is a Cabaret oh Chum, come to the Cabaret" at that time Pedigree called their Dog Food Pedigree Chum, So I thought Dog food, Friend (chum) and my dogs are as good as friends,

As there was already a well known Affix Cabaret in Dalmations I beleive, I had to spell it KHABARAY

In reply to the post earlier I now seldom add to the end of my affix to at from etc, but simply add Khabaray to the end this helps as my writing is large and entry forms are not !

i.e. Hillsdown Aisling Khabaray

Also my Email address does raise a few eyebrows when I give it as it reads Khabwhip@. always seem to have to offer an explantion as to what it means ! !

Take care

Heather and the Khabaray Whips :cheers:

Mine is made up of the first two letters of my boys' names ja, ni and be but that was a bit stuffy so I added "lle" at the end which gives it a French flavour (my Grandad was French) JANIBELLE and of course "belle" is French for pretty as well (w00t)

I wanted Ryecroft, a lovely farm near where we lived in Cheshire, didn't get it got my second choice, Rystone, which I have now had since 1973!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and am very happy with it. :))

I did have Draycot back in the 50's but it lapsed so couldn't get it back. With hindsight I wish I had compounded Rystone then I wouldn't have to pay a fee every year! :cheers:

[SIZE=14pt]My first choice was Cammarch which is the prefix i have got on the horses, it is a river near Builth Wells and our house was 20 yards from it. Anyway someone else has got it for their kennels so I then chose Swistir, which is Welsh for Swiss Valley, an area in Llanelli where I keep the horses. [/SIZE]

beaker said:
whippets were the first breed i had all to myself. the chows, labradors and ESS's in our family have always been primarily other family members, so i wanted an affix that was bold and a bit different and gave me separation from the more "fluffy" granny affix's  :oops:   (sorry nan)  I wanted something that would stand out but still be fitting for a sighthound.

after a lot of um'ing and er'ing i came up with Keenbreeze, Keeneye and Niisyf

i came up with Niisyf as an acronym of "Not If i See You First" the use of an acronym was inspired partly by a horse called Jafeica "Just Another F'' Expence I Can't Afford" ....it appealed to my sense of humour at the time    :- " 

Keenbreeze was from my nan's ponies, Keen and and her son Breeze, i loved them as a little un and was always sneaking off to ride them in the field, this then morphed to Keeneye for the sight link (i was struggling for names  :b )

thankfully i got my first choice of Niisyf

and from then onwards have been known as becka and the unpronouncable whippets  :lol:

Absoloutely love the explanation behind Jafeica ~ Classic!!! :thumbsup:

mums is "Porthkrag" simply because we live in cornwall and it is the cornish for crackington haven where she lives.

What a lovely topic!

I am about to send my kennnel registration and affix name to FCI so this is exactly a topic which is being discussed at our home!

As we currently live in United Arab Emirates I wanted something something 'local' for the name for us to remember these times but I also think that the Arabic sounding names are more suitable to saluki kennels or afghans... so switched to Hindi origins as 60% of UAE population are From India, Pakistan or Bangladesh.. Arabish language sounds more 'harsh' anyways..

So I was thinking about

Sundara which means Beautiful

Asabhya = Spicy and maybe adding Kutta=dog

We have, however just watched the movie Darjeeling Express and my favourite become SWEET LIME.. and that kind of sums up living in the Middle East -sweet and bitter at the same time..

What do you think? :)

Martina said:
What a lovely topic!
I am about to send my kennnel registration and affix name to FCI so this is exactly a topic which is being discussed at our home!

As we currently live in United Arab Emirates I wanted something something 'local' for the name for us to remember these times but I also think that the Arabic sounding names are more suitable to saluki kennels or afghans... so switched to Hindi origins as 60% of UAE population are From India, Pakistan or Bangladesh.. Arabish language sounds more 'harsh' anyways..

So I was thinking about

Sundara which means Beautiful

Asabhya = Spicy and maybe adding Kutta=dog

We have, however just watched the movie Darjeeling Express  and my favourite become SWEET LIME..  and that kind of sums up living in the Middle East -sweet and bitter at the same time..

What do you think?  :)

I like Sundara. a) because whippets are beautiful b) because it rolls of the tounge easily & c) because it's easy to pronounce.

lesley smeath said:
I used to train a few greyhounds for a very nice couple sadly both passed away now.It would be nothing for them to pay a few thousand for a dog they would always let me race them as if they were mine, as long as i told them that they were racing on certin nights they were happy, they bought a beautiful black dog it was the last one i had for them, he was fav to win the Welsh derby but he hurt himself in the semi final and i retiered him his name was willing wispy i had him for the rest of his days he was a proper gentleman it was a  very sad day when he went so i decided i would use his name as my affix in memory of him.

Lesley, what a lovely reason for deciding on your affix. It's really nice to know the origin of Ruby's name too, especially as it because of my late, sadly departed, greyhound Wilsic Rosie, that I fell in love with greyhounds and their smaller cousins the whippet.

Pauline

Thank you Pauline Wispy was a very special boy and i think he has brought me a bit of :luck: luck,

when will we see Ruby again give her a big :huggles: :wub:

Lesley

Back