The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Whippet X Or Greyhound X ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i cant tell you what there classed as???????????????but i can tell you what there not and thats a LURCHER

they would be longdogs (sighthound x sighthound) or non ped whippets :thumbsup:

A lot of Greyhound in there. so im going Greyhound X

Jane

Last edited by a moderator:
markbrick said:
i cant tell you what there classed as???????????????but i can tell you what there not and thats a LURCHER
now block you seem to no alot why wud they not be lurchers

coatsy said:
markbrick said:
now block you seem to no alot why wud they not be lurchers

being from ireland i thought you would know why not so i googled it for you :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Lurcher

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

This Lurcher "Rocky" is a mix of Greyhound, Deerhound, and Collie.The Lurcher is not a dog breed, but rather a type of dog. It is a hardy crossbred sighthound that is generally a cross between a sighthound and a working breed, usually a pastoral dog or Terrier. Collie crosses have always been very popular. Lurchers can be crossed several times. There is no set type, so they can be as small as a Whippet or as large as a Deerhound; but most are chosen for a size similar to that of a Greyhound, and a distinct sighthound form is preferred.

The Lurcher was bred in Ireland and Great Britain by the Irish Gypsies and travellers in the 17th century. They were used for poaching rabbits, hares and other small creatures. The name Lurcher is a derived name from the Romani language word lur, which means thief. The travellers considered the short-haired Lurcher the most prized. The Lurcher is rarely seen outside of Ireland or Great Britain, and is still common in its native land. The Collie crosses were often not large enough to do the work the Lurcher was intended for.

Irish Romany or Roma people were instrumental in developing the breed, and traditionally sneered at any Lurcher that was not predominantly genetically Greyhound, since these "lesser" Lurchers were not as good at hunting and could not stand a full day's work of the hunt. The stringent training methods of the Gypsies are looked down upon in some Lurcher circles, since the pups began working at six months old. Only the top-producing pups were kept; the rest were sold at traditional bargain rates. Today some breeding is carried out in a more systematic manner, with Lurchers bred to Lurchers to perpetuate the "breed's" prowess at rabbit and hare coursing.

Generally, the aim of the cross is to produce a sighthound with more intelligence, a canny animal suitable for the original purpose of the lurcher, poaching. Developed in the Middle Ages in Great Britain and Ireland, the lurcher was created because only nobility were allowed to have purebred sighthounds like Irish Wolfhounds, Scottish Deerhounds, Greyhounds, Borzoi and Whippets, whereas crosses, or curs, had no such perceived value. Similarly, nobility owned most land and commoners were not allowed to hunt game on crown land or other noble estates.

This lurcher, "Bubbles", is a cross between greyhound and terrierIt was important that the lurcher did not resemble too closely a sighthound, as the penalties for owning a sighthound were high, particularly given that if you owned one then by default you were considered a poacher. The original lurchers therefore were generally heavier-coated dogs who could herd sheep as well as bring home a rabbit or hare for the pot.

The lurcher has as many varied uses as types can be crossbred, but generally they are used as hunting dogs that can chase and kill their prey. Most lurchers today are used for general pest control, typically rabbits, hares, and foxes. They have also been successfully used on deer. Lurcher can be used for hare coursing, although most hare coursing dogs are Greyhounds. Lurchers move most effectively over open ground, although different crosses suit different terrains. Lure coursing and dog racing are also popular in areas with little available hunting, or for people who dislike hunting. The modern Lurcher is growing from its old image of disrepute to heights of popularity as an exceptional family dog, and many groups have been founded to rehome lurchers as family pets.

Lurchers are appearing in Alaska. Sled dog breeders are breeding sight hounds with their sled dogs to produce a faster dog. Often in the first generation, pups that do not have the coat or temperment to create a good sled dog candidate are adopted out to new non-mushing homes.

[edit] See also

Longdog

[edit] External links

Lurcher Link, discussion forum and lurcher rescue

Evesham Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue

Greyhound Gap - greyhound and lurcher rescue operating in the UK

[hide]v • d • eHounds

Scenthounds Alpine Dachsbracke · Anglo-Français de Petite Vénerie · Ariegeois · Artois Hound · Basset Bleu de Gascogne · Basset Fauve de Bretagne ·

on asking my neighbour his oppinion we both agree a lurcher is sight hound x working i.e collie or terrier -bedlington,bull.whippet-greyhound=longdog

markbrick said:
The Lurcher is not a dog breed, but rather a type of dog.
This is where the confusion lies as the term 'whippet' was referred to a type of race dog.

It was never, ever given to a specific lineage of breeding and it's the kennel club who by adopting the breed have tried to typify it and confused the average person into thinking a true whippet is a breed of dog.

The term 'whippet' is just the same as lurcher, long dog and terriers, it should refer to a type not a specific breed.

Martin would be well within his rights to respond by saying Ernie is a whippet because he is. He just isn't a KC registered bred whippet.

bloody fast,they lurchers or non ped as there not pure bred,and the best,,nice pups by the way rose :thumbsup:

Have removed some posts. Please keep it civil. Thanks :thumbsup:

`Coatsy`, we all know what Ernie is and that`s a non-pedigree racing whippet. I`ve never made a secret of his pedigree.

http://www.k9community.co.uk/cgi-bin/nonpe...5&db=nonped.dbw

He does contain a small % of greyhound blood in him a few generations back, but his pedigree is predominatly racing whippets, that can be traced back as far the `60`s.

There now appears to be 3 types of `Whippets` and to be honest I would suggest there are now 4 types, not referring to `Lurchers`.

You have the KC reg `Show` whippet, the KC reg `racing` whippet, which has evolved over the last 30 odd years, the non-ped racing whippet and the non-ped whippet/greyhond X.

All could be classed as whippets, but some I would class, as somebody else pointed out, non-pedigree greyhounds !

Don't agree with you Martin, the only 'new' developments within whippets is the altered phenotypes of KC registered whippets which themselves have diverged off to give 2 well maybe 3 different phenotypes,

them being the show bred pedigree KC whippet

the racing bred pedigree KC whippet

the coursing / working bred KC whippet.

Experienced owners of the above are quite apt at identifying which dog belongs to which group and there's some individuals I know who are quite impressive in that they can identify certain specific breedlines.

Non-ped whippets have always had greyhound blood within them this is not a new development. There's never been any rules about exactly how much greyhound blood there can be within the racing whippet, for one, no person can accurately quantify this without the likes of DNA testing.

Martin, out of curiosity, what amount of greyhound as a percentage would you equate Ernie?

Thats exactly what i`m saying a racing KC whippet has emerged. When I raced back in the `70`s the Ped whippets that were racing were from show stock, but as years have gone by, most of the ped racing whippets seem to have extended pedigrees of racing ancestors.

As regards Ernie, if you go back 3 generations you could classify him possibly as 1.5/8ths Greyhound ! ! or 6.5/8ths non-ped whippet ! ! Which ever way you want to read it !

I myself, given his size, build and weight, would class him as more of a whippet than a greyhound.

Just for an exercise is there any `anoraks` out there, able to see how far we could trace Ernies whippet pedigree back ?

Over to you Judy ! :D

Ah re read your post, the comma threw me as I thought you was implying the greyhound whippet X was a new development!

You have the KC reg `Show` whippet, the KC reg `racing` whippet, which has evolved over the last 30 odd years, the non-ped racing whippet and the non-ped whippet/greyhond X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back