Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Whippet X Or Greyhound X ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
markbrick said:
tinker* said:
:thumbsup:
weathergirls said:
how come youve not raced him in the NON-PED WHIPPET RACING Martin that is what he was bred for initially
When we invite lurchers to race at our non-ped events over here in England we don't allow our registered non-ped racers to enter into the lurcher section as we believe it would be unfair and unsporting as the non-ped racing dog is bred and trained for a specific role mainly the sprint race whereas the lurcher IMO is bred and trained for the field and the coursing and has the staying power moreover than the speed of the non-ped racer.

Over the past few years as our Lurcher  friends such  as John,  Billy, Macha and  Rose to name a few have come over from Ireland and taken part and enjoyed something different so much so John is keen to try and develop this back in Ireland alongside the normal Lurcher sporting events whilst at the same time not trying to exile the LURCHER as we all know it

THERE IS ROOM FOR ALL  TYPES OF RACING  and it is good to put new blood into the breed but to import a non-ped bred racing whippet to race in the Lurchers I think is unsportsmanlike.

by the way your not the man who challenged a Blackpool donkey to race against Red Rum are you  :- "

SPOT ON :thumbsup:

But i think many people come under "the non-ped bred racing whippet to race in the Lurchers I think is unsportsmanlike" comment :blink: unfortunatly :(

i think that post says it all,i find these pure breed owners and non ped owners who bombard the lurcher shows to compete in 1 race are unsportsman like,they never put there dogs in other events just race em in a bloody straight line,mark

Well Mark thats the only racing avavilable here so thats what they will continue to do until the organisers change it!

our whippet/greyhound used to run in the coursing only, quite successfully so not just straight lines :- "

At that time we didn't know about non ped racing to us he was just a lurcher, we were told by various people that he was a longdog as is our deerhound/greyhound.

mao said:
our whippet/greyhound used to run in the coursing only, quite successfully so not just straight lines  :- " At that time we didn't know about non ped racing to us he was just a lurcher, we were told by various people that he was a longdog as is our deerhound/greyhound.

For got to add that he's not bad at working in the field :thumbsup:

markbrick said:
tinker* said:
weathergirls said:
how come youve not raced him in the NON-PED WHIPPET RACING Martin that is what he was bred for initially
When we invite lurchers to race at our non-ped events over here in England we don't allow our registered non-ped racers to enter into the lurcher section as we believe it would be unfair and unsporting as the non-ped racing dog is bred and trained for a specific role mainly the sprint race whereas the lurcher IMO is bred and trained for the field and the coursing and has the staying power moreover than the speed of the non-ped racer.

Over the past few years as our Lurcher  friends such  as John,  Billy, Macha and  Rose to name a few have come over from Ireland and taken part and enjoyed something different so much so John is keen to try and develop this back in Ireland alongside the normal Lurcher sporting events whilst at the same time not trying to exile the LURCHER as we all know it

THERE IS ROOM FOR ALL  TYPES OF RACING  and it is good to put new blood into the breed but to import a non-ped bred racing whippet to race in the Lurchers I think is unsportsmanlike.

by the way your not the man who challenged a Blackpool donkey to race against Red Rum are you  :- "

But i think many people come under "the non-ped bred racing whippet to race in the Lurchers I think is unsportsmanlike" comment :blink: unfortunatly :(

i think that post says it all,i find these pure breed owners and non ped owners who bombard the lurcher shows to compete in 1 race are unsportsman like,they never put there dogs in other events just race em in a bloody straight line,mark

tinker there is dogs that are registered non-peds racing at lurcher shows here. theyve never raced as non-peds in england id say. now thats unfair. tghen everyone wonders why the win all the time

markbrick said:
tinker* said:
weathergirls said:

Put another record on Mark :- " ,you've been to enough lurcher shows to know that,there are loads of whippet/greyhounds racing.They have been for years and will continue to be for years to come.it's up to the owner of a dog to decide where to race it,and for that matter what breeding he/she wants.If you dont agree with them racing then dont race against them.Fortunately organizers of lurcher shows and events show no prejudice to any dog running,and until they do you are just going to have to accept it.This topic as been bought up time and time again,and guess what whippet/greyhounds are still racing at lurcher shows :D

wild whippies said:
They was bred to run in a straight line! :wacko:

No They were bred for SPEED :D I dont breed for dogs to run in straight lines, thats not what im thinking about when choosing to breed one of my dogs!

what ever the breeding of the other dogs I will still race my dogs against them even my Beddie/Whippet who will never win a straight race as he's not fast enough but he loves it & enjoy watching my dogs run.

Wasn't that what lurcher racing was about originally? :cheers:

Well, I did ask you to keep it civil but we've been getting complaiints that some people aren't so I've removed some posts and will close the thread which is a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back