Reaction score
Good old AOL have been down for 4 hours today :rant:

After a phone call where i was passed around 3 different

'helpful members of their staff'.....only one of whom i was

rude to......he asked for it :angry:

I found out i was no longer under any sort of contract with

them so have decided to move, but i have a couple of

questions before i do so.

What about my forums like this one how will i get ?

A lot of site's go on your ISP don't they, how will i

get onto them with a new one?

Does anyone have SKY if you do what's it like?

AnnSa said:
Good old AOL have been down for 4 hours today   :rant:  

rude to......he asked for it  :angry:

I get on k9 just the same at work as I do at home Ann...just don't tell the boss (w00t)

I think your IP number only makes much difference when they are trying to ban you from a site :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Sky and I find it great. I did have a few problems to begin with but that was a faulty wireless router. They replaced that for me and since then it's been brilliant.

AnnSa said:
Good old AOL have been down for 4 hours today  :rant:  

Ann, I wondered why I couldn't get on earlier! AOL have been pretty poor lately. I am moving to Eclipse internet on another telephone line but that is for business reasons. I will keep my AOL going for private use until I see what Eclipse are like but I shall definitely be moving elsewhere.

It appears to me that the smaller ISP's (Eclipse, Zen, Keconnect) give better service than the big ones like BT, AOL, etc. BUT they do tend to be more expensive. Having said that I haven't heard anything bad about Sky and I believe they are very anxious to attract new customers. I can't see what difference a new provider would make to your K9 access but there may be someone more knowledgeable on here who can tell you different.

we are with aol, and its been on and off all day.........not sure if its a problem with them...or the fact that all 4 laptops were on at the same time :oops:

meddling said:
AnnSa said:
Good old AOL have been down for 4 hours today   :rant:  

I get on k9 just the same at work as I do at home Ann...just don't tell the boss (w00t)

I think your IP number only makes much difference when they are trying to ban you from a site :lol: :lol: :lol:

your ip is on your computer not the internet,

its a number unique to your computer/laptop so it makes no difference if you are with aol/bt/sky who ever as you will still be using the same computer. :thumbsup:

if you changed your computer though i think the only difference would be that you would have to log in, as the site wouldnt recognise you as you and wouldnt log you in automatically :blink:

hope that makes sence.

iv been on all forums on our pc and our laptop, iv used my grans pc and my uncles laptop and countless other computers and never had a problem. (all on different internet providers) :thumbsup:

Anne you shouldnt have a problem if you move.

We are with AOL ...ours has been on all day strangely, but Ive been asking a friend of mine lots of advice about the subject.

I often totally bypass AOL and go onto the Internet via Internet Explorer...and wondered what would happen if I deleted AOL's software.

We at present pay £15.99 a month and I know other people are only paying £14.00 per month. A friend advised us to ring up and complain and threaten to leave or go elesewhere to get the price down....it worked for her.

We can only have a certain speed of Broadband here where we live...its a right pain (in the sticks I call it) :lol: AOL give us free upgrades...but they wont work for us here.

You could pay them to supply Broadband only....or get a completely different service provider.

You will still get back onto all your forums no problem.

My hubbys laptop hasnt got AOL on it at all and he can still connect to the internet ...he goes goes onto AOL's homepage to read his emails...

We had a right carry on with them a couple of years ago...and had to ring their Indian call centre... :blink: you can hardly understand them at times sorry :blink: (not trying to be racist..) :- "

anyway if you ring on Saturday mornings its the Irish callcentre usually...and you get more sense out of them...

Last edited by a moderator:
k4tie-d said:
its a number unique to your computer/laptop so it makes no difference if you are with aol/bt/sky who ever as you will still be using the same computer. :thumbsup:

Really now i asked someone who rekon's he

know the lot about pc's and he told me it

would change...........idiot :lol:

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

i always thought your ip address changed too thanks for that katie :thumbsup:

Janimal said:
We had a right carry on with them a couple of years ago...and had to ring their Indian call centre... :blink:   you can hardly understand them at times sorry :blink: (not trying to be racist..) :- " anyway if you ring on Saturday mornings its the Irish callcentre usually...and you get more sense out of them...

Well today i spoke to Indian, Irish and Irish in the order :unsure:

I just think aol are getting worse and its time i changed.

Sky seems to be doing a good deal at the moment :thumbsup:

I changed from Orange who were a nightmare always indian call centres you had to deal with :rant: to O2 and I have found O2 to be good so far and you don't get put through to indian call centres!!!!!!!!!! and it's free when you phone for help :thumbsup:

ahhhhh i see youve met aohell then! i always had trouble with them re getting on k9, and a few other sites, always had to go through explorer, it was like it just couldnt recognise the sites i was trying to access. am currently with sky, and theyve been brilliant to date :thumbsup:

hely said:
we are with aol, and its been on and off all day.........not sure if its a problem with them...or the fact that all 4 laptops were on at the same time :oops:
[SIZE=21pt]Everyone - it was Hely - she blew up AOL!!! It was all her fault. Hope you're very sorry Hely :- " [/SIZE]

AnnSa said:
k4tie-d said:

Really now i asked someone who rekon's he

know the lot about pc's and he told me it

would change...........idiot :lol:

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

Noooooo, he's not an idiot. Your IP address has nothing to do with your computer. It is the address that is broadcast by your service provider. Some people have a fixed IP, like I do, but some change every time you log on. If I log on at work, I have a different IP address to when I'm at home. Your registration on K9 is not affected if you change providers.

Katie, you might be getting mixed up with cookies - they are on your computer - so every time you go back to a website they remember you because a cookie was left on your computer, so it recognises you.

Don't anyone worry about changing ISPs. AOL is known to be one of the worst because of the amount of c**p they load on with their software. My brother uses AOL, and I can't get over the rubbish that litters his screen when he's on the net :eek:

David is most likely right, the smaller companies are more likely to look after you because they need your business. Sky may well be OK, but the problem we have here is that it's still BTs line they use - and the lines to our house are ancient, but there aren't enough houses here to warrant replacing them - so we have to have broadband through an aerial on the roof which picks up a signal from a transmitter on a hill a few miles away. It can be hit and miss but a damn site better than dialup :teehee:

We changed from AOL to sky last year after we got fed up with all the problems we were having. We've had no problems since and they told us we were paying for a download speed with AOL that our phone lines would not take :rant:

Mmm more to think about....

Thanks for the replies so far :thumbsup:

Oh dear... am i the only AOL user that has no problems accessing the forums? :wacko:

Well i hope i've done the right thing but i have

just got off the phone after signing up with sky :thumbsup:

I stopped my sky about 2 years ago as i don't watch a lot

of tv and made do with the freeview box, to be honest the

signal isn't always great.

So now for £26 a month i have sky wireless broadband,

a free Sky+ box, Sky Tv, 5 movies channels and i could

have free calls but i wont bother with that as i have them

with BT.

And all with free installation this Saturday, oh and £50

of M&S vouchers :lol:

June Jonigk said:
hely said:
[SIZE=21pt]Everyone - it was Hely - she blew up AOL!!! It was all her fault. Hope you're very sorry Hely :- " [/SIZE]

sorrryyyyyyy :b

Back