The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Trimming Nails

eve

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

My tiny little rescue whippet Lilly is really funny about having her feet touched. As for trimming her nails, squirmy is putting it mildly.! She is terrified.

The nails are not too bad as we walk a lot but they could do with a trim definately before things get out of hand.

She is quite a nervy litttle thing (we are working on this) and I do not want to upset the progress made with her so far.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks eve

Last edited by a moderator:
Chase is really nervous about having his nails trimmed eventhough we have always done them . He makes such a big fuss and wont keep still. He is very quiet in the car and now my daughter does them with him on her lap in the car. We did this today on our way out and its the only way we can do it unless he is in a deep sleep and sometimes we get him then.

Daisy hates her nails being done, so we stand her on a table and my husband gives her treats while I attempt to do her nails, sometimes are more productive than others

I have 2 that are an absolute nightmare ....... one of them even screams if I try to get the clippers near her :eek:

Unfortunately, the others are getting to be the same as they see the bad ones overreacting and think they're going to be tortured :(

The only way I can get mine done is to do one nail a day and just take the end off and if they have to go to the vets for anything I always ask for claws to be done whilst they're there :thumbsup:

Good luck!!!!! :luck: You have my sympathy :)

Last edited by a moderator:
gypsy has always been a total nightmare.......to the point where it took 3 of us to do them, she would get herself in such a state, it was horrible......i then got some great advice from a lovely lady on here and now i can do them myself.........it took a while to get us there and i wouldnt say she enjoys it but she lets me cut them.

gypsy has always been a total nightmare.......to the point where it took 3 of us to do them, she would get herself in such a state, it was horrible......i then got some great advice from a lovely lady on here and now i can do them myself.........it took a while to get us there and i wouldnt say she enjoys it but she lets me cut them.
Come on then, Hely!!!! Tell us how you do it.

You can't say that and not explain how :eek: :p :lol:

Secret.....if she tells you she will have to kill you :D

Secret.....if she tells you she will have to kill you :D
indeed i will....and it wont be pretty, my killing skills havent got to the pleasant stage yet :-

its quite difficult to explain and quite long winded.........i started holding her like a baby, and making her stay their for quite a while...she didnt much like it, but i couldnt let her go or she would have won........once i could do this without her having a mental...i started playing with her nails and paws (couldnt do that before)...now this bit took quite a few weeks.......i then started leaving the clippers near her bed and started holding them when i was holding her......gradually started tapping her nails with the clippers, and just tried to get her used to having them touched.........then i took the plunge and just cut the very tip of her nail...she didnt like it but i didnt let her go.......i just did a few every day....untill she realised it didnt hurt and now i can do them all in one go :thumbsup:

make sure you have some decent clippers :thumbsup:

this took quite a few weeks, but really worth putting in the time and effort :thumbsup:

hope this helps :sweating:

:) Ozzy used to be awful and I had to resort to taking him to a local grooming parlour where I held him and the lady trimmed his nails. Then I got a dremmel (w00t) Now he stands there whilst i file his nails down - only takes a few seconds, it brill. Vinnie lies there whilst I do his - he hated the clippers too. I started by just turning it on and sitting next to them till they got used to the noise ( a slight buzz). When I had terriers they were so bad that I used to have to get tranquilisers from the vet before I could go near them with the nails clippers, wish Id had the dremmel then. :sweating:

Mine are a nightmare as well. Becky (Beaker on this site) came to visit and did all mine in a flash! She sat with her legs up on the sofa and laid them on their backs on her lap (like a baby) and they didnt move an inch! Takes a bit of practice though. Good clippers are essential.

Mine are a nightmare as well. Becky (Beaker on this site) came to visit and did all mine in a flash! She sat with her legs up on the sofa and laid them on their backs on her lap (like a baby) and they didnt move an inch! Takes a bit of practice though. Good clippers are essential.
Becka did Jinny's when she came to visit last May!! I was amazed :eek:

I can't do it that way ......... my legs are too short :lol: :lol:

im having a nightmare with isla and just tried laying her on her back and it was really effective :)

My thanks to all

My husband has a Dremel but I think Lilly would probably pass out in shock. At least that would solve the problem!

I have been trying something along the lines of the daily exposure to the item of torture. I will persevere with this for the time being.

My dog used to squeek every time the clippers came near but my girls are fine about it all.

Best wishes

Eve

:) Ozzy used to be awful and I had to resort to taking him to a local grooming parlour where I held him and the lady trimmed his nails. Then I got a dremmel (w00t) Now he stands there whilst i file his nails down - only takes a few seconds, it brill. Vinnie lies there whilst I do his - he hated the clippers too. I started by just turning it on and sitting next to them till they got used to the noise ( a slight buzz). When I had terriers they were so bad that I used to have to get tranquilisers from the vet before I could go near them with the nails clippers, wish Id had the dremmel then. :sweating:

What is a dremmel ? :b

By 'Dremmel' I think the poster meant a rotary tool. My Ivy used to have her nails trimmed with a rotary tool - it has attachments that turn round and file the nails. I guess the dogs don't mind it so much because their claws are not being 'squeezed' by clippers, just filed away. I must get one as Ivy's nails need doing again - but the Dremmel rotary tools are about £70 I think :eek: - you can get cheaper rotary tools on ebay for about £20.

Its a small cordless hobbiest tool this is the one that I have here is the link

A Dremmel is an electricaly powered tool that men use!

we used to hang them in the weighing harness if they wouldn't stand still whilst they have them cut and they were fine except Molly who had to be sedated for her own safety as she would go manic if you even glanced at her foot

Back