The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Trimming Nails

Becky, are you planning a trip to Birmingham any time soon? :D

Both of mine are a nightmare: Digit worse than Bloggs.

Bloggs I can only do one nail at a time - and I have to wait til he's asleep, then pick my victim and clip it before he knows what's happening. It can be a problem, particularly as he has his dews and one shot toe, so that's 3 nails that never wear themselves down at all :(

Digit, I simply can't do at all :( I have to rely on some road walking to wear them down a bit, and a full trim any time he is at the vets.

I am seriously considering valium (either for them or me :D ) but will have a go at the beaker-leggy-uppy-sofa-thing first.

Max the Dach is a nightmare to do,hubby got to hold him real tight or he will be off :lol: ,he screams even if i got near him with the clippers.

Most of the whippets are very good,Beau was the worst one,but he is very good considering.Dale and Peter just jump on the settee already for me :D ,the pup is very good too,so far :thumbsup:

What is a dremmel ? :b

A Dremmel is an electricaly powered tool that men use!

:eek: Im not a man! :lol: Its only a small hand held thing and does the job nicely without upsetting my dogs :thumbsup:

All mine are great, except Bumpy dog :(

She screams, runs, howls, slavers, runs at the nose, poohs and wees herself as soon as you grab her and she sees the clippers.

The only option for her was a couple of sedative tablets in her dinner, within an hour she was spark out and I could carry her outside, lay her on the lawn and clip them all off.

For saying that though, for the first time in 4 YEARS I was able to take her outside and with my OH holding her I was able to cut all four feet with the minimum of wiggles or squeaks :D I think that with the sedatives calming her she's finally realised that nail clipping may be slightly uncomfortable for does not hurt so instead of panicking like crazy and getting herself into a state at the thought of starting anything she just keeps calm (and doesn't mind the treats she gets fed straight afterwards :thumbsup: )

My tess freaked out getting her nails done i fed her few treats off the clippers while touching her feet she knew u couldnt get it to places at once, then used to do one nail and then give a chicken wing done this every day even when she didnt mind the one cos she got the chicken wing once she was complelty calm upped it to 2 claws now all can be done in one day not one sitting takes a few attempts but always stop before she gets agitated. also a good time is bathe first the nail is slightly softed and doesnt clip as loud.

Finn was a nightmare about this ... until I started standing him in the kitchen sink (it's a big one) to do them. He has to stand still or he'd fall over once one paw is lifted. I sort of tuck his head against my shoulder and whisper sweet nothings in his ear while I clip away ... he's been no problem at all since the very first time I did this where before he would do everything he could to get away. Might be worth a try if you've a sink that is big enough.

Annie

I do all 6 of my whippets one after the other with a dremel. :sweating:

Theres only one that is very difficult and I put her in a weighing sling, shes consentrating on balancing so I can easily take one foot at a time and grind them down :thumbsup:

As Garry Says the sling is a good idea. I find the Dremel good.Or if they don't like the noise I put there feet on my lap and use a B#st#rd file

Last edited by a moderator:
Back