The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Show Entrys & Info

sued

Registered
Reaction score
Question for K9ers everywhere?

In your part of the world what are the Rules & Regulations surrounding entries to dog shows.

1. Entering into the correct age class.

Is it the responsibility of the Entry Secretary to correct and place your dog into the right class as per their age?

For first timers in the show ring entering in a show is quite daunting and mistakes can happen. But for exhibitors that enter a show on a regular basis and continually enter the dog in the incorrect class is there any recourse for their action?

Cheers :cheers: :cheers:

It is the responsibility of the exhibitor to enter in the right class, so if you are new to it do consult with someone who has more experience, possibly people at your training class, or the dog's breeder, before you make an entry. If you do make a mistake you can change on the day but may only move into the correct class for age or sex, otherwise into the Open class. If entering a breed club show the secretary may help you, they are busy people and may not have time, but it is worth asking. The Kennel Club is rather unforgiving and may disqualify you from any wins if entered in the wrong class, so it is worth taking time to find someone to advise you at the start, we will try to keep you right on k9 if you keep sending the questions.

Should you be overqualified for a class and win it ( or even be placed ) you will lose that placing

eg , win post Graduate but have a CC . ( CC winners are not allowed in Post Grad )

However re age classes , you may go in Yearling up to the age of 24 months , even if your dog is say, 13months you may still go in yearling even though you are still eligible for Junior ( 6-18 months ) yearling is 6-24 months unless specified in some shows where it is 12-24months v :cheers:

General show secs have far too much to do to check all entries , so it really is up to the exhibitor to enter in the correct classes

JAX said:
Should you be overqualified for a class and win it ( or even be placed ) you will lose that placing
eg , win post Graduate but have a CC . ( CC winners are not allowed in Post Grad )

However re age classes , you may go in Yearling up to the age of 24 months , even if your dog is say, 13months you may still go in yearling even though you are still eligible for Junior ( 6-18 months ) yearling is 6-24 months unless specified in some shows where it is 12-24months  v :cheers:

General show secs have far too much to do to check all entries , so it really is up to the exhibitor to enter in the correct classes

The ruling is somewhat similar here.

:b

However, if the exhibitor :wacko:

continues to blatently enter their dog in a wrong class what would the recourse be?

Thanks

:cheers:

Sued

Over here ( UK) if they entered in the wrong class they would be disqualified from the wins , and possibly fined too (w00t) but what would be the point they would just be wasting money , If transferred to Open class through being over age and no age class to go in , the competition would be harder one would have thought .

I don't think anyone over here as made a `habit` of doing this . I doubt whether the KC would pick up on such a thing . however should their name keep coming up in the disqualifying section maybe some one should take them to one side ;)

There is nothing to stop you entering a dog in post grad one show , limit the next and then back to post grad , ,,,,,provided the dog hasn't won its way out of Post grad that is .

Hope this helps Sue :cheers:

What about a dog that is not old enough for the class it is being entered for? And we not talking about once by mistake, but repeatedly????? :unsure:

The kennel club DOES NOT check dogs that are overqualified for classes, something is only doen when the said dog has been reported !!

I remeber asking when i went on a days visit to the KC, and they said there is no way they could check overqualified dogs !! :- "

its usually when someone reports the dogs is overqualifed they are disqualified frm that win :- "

Seraphina said:
What about a dog that is not old enough for the class it is being entered for?  And we not talking about once by mistake, but repeatedly????? :unsure:

Over here the printer of the catalogues would usually pick that up and either send it back or telephone the exhibitor

dolly said:
The kennel club DOES NOT check dogs that are overqualified for classes, something is only doen when the said dog has been reported !!
I remeber asking when i went on a days visit to the KC, and they said there is no way they could check overqualified dogs !! :- "

its usually when someone reports the dogs is overqualifed they are disqualified frm that win  :- "

well you learn something every day :oops:

Seraphina said:
What about a dog that is not old enough for the class it is being entered for?  And we not talking about once by mistake, but repeatedly????? :unsure:
but why would you put your dog in a class against older ( and poss more mature dogs ) ? :eek:

Over here there is nothing to stop you putting a 6 month pup in ANY class , from Minor pup to Open , but why would you :wacko:

JAX said:
Seraphina said:
but why would you put your dog in a class against older ( and poss more mature dogs ) ? :eek:

Over here there is nothing to stop you putting a 6 month pup in ANY class , from Minor pup to Open , but why would you :wacko:

It does depend on what classes are available though, doesn't it.

If you only have, for example, a Junior and an Open class you could quite easily have the Junior full of minor puppies.

In Finland, it is the responsibility of the Entry Secretary to correct the class if a dog is entered to a wrong class by age. After the entry has closed, you can not change the class if the dog is entitled to enter the class. The record to enter a specific class has to be acquired before the entry closes. The only class you can change to is the champions class.

If the Entry Secretary has not corrected the class, and it isn´t changed before the actual show, the result will be disqualified (if the dog has no right to enter the class).

JAX said:
Seraphina said:

We have here "Intermediate Class" = 18-36 months, one dog is being repeatedly entered in this class, although he is not old enough. For some reason he is often the only one there, so he gets yet another "win".

Last edited by a moderator:
dolly said:
Seraphina said:

Over here the printer of the catalogues would usually pick that up and either send it back or telephone the exhibitor

I called the printer once when I realised I'd entered in a wrong class (age related) and they checked and said they'd already corrected it. I suspect their computers flag up the age stuff. There's no way they can know qualifcations.

Wendy

Seraphina said:
JAX said:
Seraphina said:

We have here "Intermediate Class" = 18-36 months, one dog is being repeatedly entered in this class, although he is not old enough. For some reason he is often the only one there, so he gets yet another "win".

Just a thought perhaps the `person ` concerned is `friendly ` with the printers , so know who is entered in what :- " just a thought ;)

but agree, if the class is for 18-36 months and they are under 18 months then all wins should be disqualified . I presume the relavant KC has been informed ;)

chelynnah said:
dolly said:
Seraphina said:

I called the printer once when I realised I'd entered in a wrong class (age related) and they checked and said they'd already corrected it. I suspect their computers flag up the age stuff. There's no way they can know qualifcations.

Wendy

Personally I dont think they should have done that (w00t) You might not wanted to have gone in that class , what if you didnt want to meet certain dogs or have a sibling in the class that you didnt want to compete against . NO , They should have rung first ,,,,,,,unless of course you were OVER the age for the class :- "

[SIZE=14pt]If you are over age the secretary should move you to the correct class for age. It is in the rules and regs.[/SIZE]

Often this is picked up by the printer through their database. I once had a nightmare with one of the printing companies which somehow got the wrong date of birth for Lizzie. I would enter her in puppy with the correct date only for their system to change it to their default birth date and move her up a class to junior. I would notice this......just before the class of course..........rush to the secretary's tent, get them to dig out my entry form, check the birth date and actual class, compare it to the catalogue details, get an authority slip to give to the steward, and rush back to the ring in time for the last dog on the table. What a circus.

After the first instance I checked the catalogue on arrival at the showground.

It took repeated calls to that printing house to finally get it changed, and once Irene started doing the entries it all went smoothly.

In the meantime we won a few classes in which we were not "officially" entered to the consternation of those at the ringside who kept coming up and telling me that I was in the wrong class.

Cathie

dragonfly said:
[SIZE=14pt]If you are over age the secretary should move you to the correct class for age. It is in the rules and regs.[/SIZE] 

Often this is picked up by the printer through their database.  I once had a nightmare with one of the printing companies which somehow got the wrong date of birth for Lizzie. I would enter her in puppy with the correct date only for their system to change it to their default birth date and move her up a class to junior. I would notice this......just before the class of course..........rush to the secretary's tent, get them to dig out my entry form, check the birth date and actual class, compare it to the catalogue details, get an authority slip to give to the steward, and rush back to the ring in time for the last dog on the table. What a circus. 

After the first instance I checked the catalogue on arrival at the showground.

It took repeated calls to that printing house to finally get it changed, and once Irene started doing the entries it all went smoothly.

In the meantime we won a few classes in which we were not "officially" entered to the consternation of those at the ringside who kept coming up and telling me that I was in the wrong class.

Cathie

Hi there Cathie

That is often the case here and you have to advise the Secretary's and the printer that they have it wrong. However, most days if the entry is incorrect advising the Secretary who in turn alters the judging sheet soon rectifies the matter.

Our concern here is entry's appear on a regular basis in the wrong class with no recourse. One wonders why we have RnR's when it is obvious to others that it is a blatent misdemeanour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:cheers:

JAX said:
but agree, if the class is for 18-36 months and they are under 18 months then all wins should be disqualified . I presume the relavant KC has been informed  ;)

KC informed!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it is the same person & dog that I "questioned" with the Victorian K.C....I think it might be. I told them that on a web site someone reported that they won a CC from class 5. A class that is RESTRICTED to 18 to 36 months.

I informed the VKC which show it was, which breed, which sex date of show & the date of birth of the exhibit.

From what I "questioned" with them could only leed to one Show, breed, sex & that day. I could see no problem. Was the information true or false??? It was that easy. BUT NO!!!!!!!!!! I was told that "not enough information given". At that stage I gave up. Next time I complain to the Victorian people in charge, I will type slower. It seem they can not read all that fast or if at all.

Sue,

Are you not able to make an official report to the rep on the day? If that was done I can't see how a challenge could be kept.

All hell would break lose in the dobermann ring if that was to happen.

Cheers :cheers:

Back