The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Show Entrys & Info

elmaro said:
Sue,
Are you not able to make an official report to the rep on the day?  If that was done I can't see how a challenge could be kept.

All hell would break lose in the dobermann ring if that was to happen.

Cheers :cheers:

Unfortunately I haven't been present, or wasn't made aware of the breach of entry when I've been at a show so couldn't follow it up.

All the whippet people over the years have been very good and exhibiting in accordance with the RnR's, but this exhibitor has their own set of RnR's.

:cheers:

sued said:
elmaro said:
Sue,
Are you not able to make an official report to the rep on the day?  If that was done I can't see how a challenge could be kept.

All hell would break lose in the dobermann ring if that was to happen.

Cheers :cheers:

Unfortunately I haven't been present, or wasn't made aware of the breach of entry when I've been at a show so couldn't follow it up.

All the whippet people over the years have been very good and exhibiting in accordance with the RnR's, but this exhibitor has their own set of RnR's.

I haven't been showing for the past 4.5 months being too busy with my pups, but I heard people complaining about this person repeatedly entering this particular dog in a wrong class. One person called the VCA Monday after one such a show and was told if she pays the $250 complaint fee they will consider looking into this "allegation" (w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

JAX said:
chelynnah said:
I called the printer once when I realised I'd entered in a wrong class (age related) and they checked and said they'd already corrected it.  I suspect their computers flag up the age stuff.  There's no way they can know qualifcations.

Wendy

Personally I dont think they should have done that (w00t) You might not wanted to have gone in that class , what if you didnt want to meet certain dogs or have a sibling in the class that you didnt want to compete against . NO , They should have rung first ,,,,,,,unless of course you were OVER the age for the class :- "

I think that might have been the case - it was wayyyy back when I was starting and I think I'd accidentally entered her in MP when it should have been P or P when it should have been Jr.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
$250 to lodge a complaint! (w00t)

It's only $20 here in Qld. :))

This exhibitor is doing this repeatedly ie a number of times: 2, 3 or more? Other exhibitors are aware that this person is consciously entering this class when the dog is not eligible? And exhibitors are grumbling after the event????

Why, in God's name, are they not checking the catalogue and reporting the error to the Show Secretary/Show Manager BEFORE the breed judging takes place? The dog would then HAVE to be shifted to the OPEN class. If this exhibitor is doing this because he/she knows that Intermediate is a vacant class in his/her area at present, it would only take a couple of times being shoved into open class with the big boys and I'm sure the exhibitor would stop the practice.

Have the other exhibitors kept copies of the catalogue pages to send to the VCA to prove that this person is doing this repeatedly?

aslan said:
$250 to lodge a complaint!  (w00t)

It's only $20 here in Qld.  :))

Well, you may get half back if your complaint is proven valid. Excellent way to keep us from complaining. :rant:

This exhibitor is doing this repeatedly ie a number of times: 2, 3 or more?  Other exhibitors are aware that this person is consciously entering this class when the dog is not eligible?  And exhibitors are grumbling after the event????  I believe it has happened on several occassions but somebody only realised few weeks ago, then people went through back catalogues. Somebody supposedly approached a show secretary once and was told that the date of birth in the catalogue was wrong and the dog is in the right class. So further checking with the dog's breeder etc. was needed. Then the attempt to bring this to the attention to the VCA, as far as i know by two separate people about 2 different shows.

This particular irregulity was noticed only because the dog was bred by somebody else, so it was possible to check on the correct DOB with his breeder. If this exhibitor's other dogs are put in wrong classes would be lot more difficult to establish.

Last edited by a moderator:
In light of an event in only the past few years; an ALL BREEDS JUDGE was given a life ban from dogs.

I first saw this on the TV news by a reporter outside the courthouse. Thats right the civil/criminal style courthouse not by the VKC, but a case by the RSPCA to via the legal system. I live interstate from this event. But by the TV,Radio & news paper here I wonder how big it was in Victoria. Yet again, "rumours" & rumours only are coming to the surface about a Victorian dog breeder.

I am amazed that the VKC is sitting back doing nothing about the rules etc. $250.00!!!!!!! Is that what the value of closing down a pet shop breeder is??

What about the "RUMOURS" of feral dogs, breeding multi seasons straight & not to the same breed etc etc????

It now has a value, it is $250.oo

I think the Whippet Club of Victoria should advertise the fact that for $250.oo a controlling body MIGHT look at a complaint, & without the money it is OK to not have to live by the rules.

A dog can win from any class so in the long run, I don't think it matters much what class a dog is entered in. The choice of multiple classes only suits me because I enter multiple dogs and I try and split them up so I can handle them.

If this exhibitor is deliberately ignoring the age limits for entering, I don't think it's a 'big picture' issue. Has anyone bothered to point this out to the exhibitor rather than go to Show Secretaries or the VCA? I always find if people can get away with something, they will but once you point out that you are aware of the matter, they tend to stop that course of action.

I find there is constant scrutiny at dogs shows now and people are ready and waiting to put money and a complaint down. You need to be careful where you sit, what you say, to whom, how you react to a judge's decision, ensure that you enter the ring with the right exhibit number on and that your entry form has every little detail correct and that if you have someone else enter a dog in your name, that you've sent the appropriate signature and authority form to the controlling body, you set up the appropriate distance from the ring, your dog is under control at all times and doesn't have a 'bad' day and snap at another dog, you leave space between exhibits in the ring, and the list goes on. Be a show secretary for a day or on the Judicial or Ethics Committee and you'll realise just how many complaints there are and that the complaints cover such a wide range of issues. Sometimes I wonder if we keep inventing more and more regulations so somebody can put in a complaint on someone else - generally someone whose dog beats them.

Whatever happened to dog shows being fun and the best dog (in the eyes of the judge) won?

A cynical and jaded dog show exhibitor.

aslan said:
$250 to lodge a complaint!  (w00t)
It's only $20 here in Qld.  :))

This exhibitor is doing this repeatedly ie a number of times: 2, 3 or more?  Other exhibitors are aware that this person is consciously entering this class when the dog is not eligible?  And exhibitors are grumbling after the event???? 

Why, in God's name, are they not checking the catalogue and reporting the error to the Show Secretary/Show Manager BEFORE the breed judging takes place?  The dog would then HAVE to be shifted to the OPEN class.  If this exhibitor is doing this because he/she knows that Intermediate is a vacant class in his/her area at present, it would only take a couple of times being shoved into open class with the big boys and I'm sure the exhibitor would stop the practice.

Have the other exhibitors kept copies of the catalogue pages to send to the VCA to prove that this person is doing this repeatedly?

Cheap skates in QLD Lana.

Other exhibitors are well aware of the repeated indiscretions and the controlling body advised accordingly.

We've got to 'show them the money honey' I believe! lol :b :b :b

Anyone want to contribute to the fund? lol

(w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

Ridgesetter said:
A dog can win from any class so in the long run, I don't think it matters much what class a dog is entered in.  The choice of multiple classes only suits me because I enter multiple dogs and I try and split them up so I can handle them.
That is why we have many different classes, and some classes overlap. But rule is a rule, and we should try to respect them. If we allow one exhibitor put 14 months old puppy in the itermediate class, why shouldn't I keep my small puppy in the baby class for few weeks to avoid competing against some pups few weeks older and much bigger? If one person is allowed to break any rule he/she wishes there will be more and more people doing the same. :)

Ridgesetter said:
A dog can win from any class so in the long run, I don't think it matters much what class a dog is entered in.

So is it OK to enter a 5year old Grand Champion with CDX & etc. in Minor puppy?

I think at the end of the day us law abiding exhibitors are just pissed off with 1, maybe 2. "others". These "others" know quite well what the rules are & only use them as a guide-line for their own betterment. We have all had it with the "stories " of miss treatment of his dogs & how the VKC do nothing with the breaking of rules. This timesomething is going to happen.

The class 5 bit is just the tip of the ice berge. How about a full rundown of all the complaints & not forget we still dont know what living conditions his dogs live in.

The VKC has put a value of $250 to look at this problem. Thats a joke too. There should be a REWARD to dob in a breeder with so many question marks over his head.

sued said:
Anyone want to contribute to the fund?    lol(w00t)   (w00t)   (w00t)

25 people @ $10 each! But there's no guarantee the VCA will look at the complaint - they said pay your money and we will consider looking at it. And then it is only this particular complaint regarding the class. $250 for each complaint - as there is obviously more than one breach of the rules to complain about, and ones more serious than this - is quite a lot of money.

Again, I think we should refrain from being pointed here - airing the issue with hints at who it might be will not gain anything on a world wide forum. There is nothing that anyone who is not directly involved can do about the situation.

The people who have been directly involved, who have witnessed or have first hand knowledge of the incidents, or had the wrong doings done to them should be the ones to take action. And they are the ones who should be discussing their course of action, amongst themselves. People who have only heard the stories second/3rd/4th hand should not be involved - their evidence is only hearsay. If you're not getting what you want from the VCA perhaps you need to investigate if there is another course of action available to you, where all the serious allegations can be investigated and not just one of entering a class incorrectly. For the latter, which is a relatively minor misdemeanour, if the VCA found the exhibitor guilty he/she would most likely only receive a warning.

This discussion was started as a broad question without a pointed finger but I can see it possesses the potential to degenerate into the depths a previous discussion sank to. Can we stop it here and can the people who are directly involved go and do what they need to do and discuss the issue privately and not on K9 - please.

Don't get me wrong - I am not about protecting the person who is breaking the rules - I am about protecting the image of Aussies on k9. If we just get on here and point fingers we just look like a bunch of whinging, b**ching so-and-so's. Once action has been taken, an outcome has been achieved, the person found guilty by an appropriate authority and issued an appropriate penalty then you can talk about it publicly all you like. A "trial by media" is not appropriate.

aslan said:
sued said:
Anyone want to contribute to the fund?    lol(w00t)   (w00t)   (w00t)

25 people @ $10 each! But there's no guarantee the VCA will look at the complaint - they said pay your money and we will consider looking at it. And then it is only this particular complaint regarding the class. $250 for each complaint - as there is obviously more than one breach of the rules to complain about, and ones more serious than this - is quite a lot of money.

Don't get me wrong - I am not about protecting the person who is breaking the rules - I am about protecting the image of Aussies on k9. If we just get on here and point fingers we just look like a bunch of whinging, b**ching so-and-so's. Once action has been taken, an outcome has been achieved, the person found guilty by an appropriate authority and issued an appropriate penalty then you can talk about it publicly all you like. A "trial by media" is not appropriate.

Yes, you are right Lana. I have already pledged my donation and couple of people I know have sent off their cheques. Get your cheque books out ! :)

Cartman said:
Ridgesetter said:
A dog can win from any class so in the long run, I don't think it matters much what class a dog is entered in.

John, you know that isn't right and and anyone with a Grand Champion would understand that but you would also know that exhibitors, generally newer exhibitors, do inadvertedly enter the wrong class. Exhibitors entering wrong classes happens fairly regularly which is why I still don't believe it's a 'big picture' issue. As I rarely purchase a catalogue and check the details of other exhibits, I wouldn't even notice if such a breach occurred.

I think it's very sad when a dog wins and is disqualified because of a wrong class or they got a rego number around the wrong way or something like that. If my dog was elevated due to a disqualification, I wouldn't feel comfortable as my dog wasn't the judge's first choice.

As Lana posted, this subject has become specific and not a general discussion. Like any regulation, if someone believes it's been breached, they have the option to put their money down.

Cheers

Ridgesetter said:
Cartman said:
Ridgesetter said:

John, you know that isn't right and and anyone with a Grand Champion would understand that but you would also know that exhibitors, generally newer exhibitors, do inadvertedly enter the wrong class. Exhibitors entering wrong classes happens fairly regularly which is why I still don't believe it's a 'big picture' issue. As I rarely purchase a catalogue and check the details of other exhibits, I wouldn't even notice if such a breach occurred.

I think it's very sad when a dog wins and is disqualified because of a wrong class or they got a rego number around the wrong way or something like that. If my dog was elevated due to a disqualification, I wouldn't feel comfortable as my dog wasn't the judge's first choice.

As Lana posted, this subject has become specific and not a general discussion. Like any regulation, if someone believes it's been breached, they have the option to put their money down.

Cheers

Just a few things. This "person" is not all that new exhibitor. Plus he has been told of the ofence & continues to do wrong. Also I do not belive that at all of the shows this has happened the judge has not asked "how old". This now goes one step further. Entering in wrong class just the six or seven times by mistake is one thing, 10 times plus is another. Has the exhibitor also lied about the dogs age to the judge when asked??? I think so.

As far as putting money down, that is just what we are doing.

I wasn't going to add anymore to this thread as I though it had got a little out of control and I tended to agree with Lana, However I have just downloaded the Victorian Canine Association's March gazette, and thought the following extract from the management commitee's report is extremely relevant to this topic:

"A random audit of the entries of a major show, uncovered a large number of discrepancies. Of particular concern were entries submitted by non financial members of the VCA, dogs entered in incorrect names, incorrect registration numbers etc.

Management Committee has asked the Chief Executive to conduct regular audits and report back on her findings. Members deliberately submitting false entries will face the disciplinary process and all awards will be forfeited."

So at the end of the day the VCA are on to it ... and from what I have heard about the new CEO of the VCA is that she is not to be messed with ... so it will be interesting to see if the bite is actually worse than the bark

Cheers

Each year we vote for the controling body and put forward members to run and implement the rules and regulations along with many other tasks on our behalf. These people are paid to do a job and only have the job because of the members. If we need anything we pay i.e litter rego's, change of ownership and so on. We pay week in and week out to show our dogs, SO..... When will the Canine Controling Body give a bit back to its members and uphold the code of ethics, rules and regs without draging more money out of us. If there is a breach and they are contacted about it then at least do the job they are paid for. There is a Discipline Committee set up to deal with these breaches of rules so why don't they deal with it. It is in black and white in front of them so no amount of money should change the way they look at it or.......... does it. :rant: :rant:

Lets all play by the same rules. :D

Back