The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Scottish Derby.

John

Registered
Reaction score
With just over a month to the Scottish Derby I thought that I would give a update on the track.  As you might know the track was leveled as best as possible and re seeded at the end of last year.  There is still a slight hump about 100 yards from the traps due to a underground drainage pipe but the grass has taken well even with the bad weather and is looking quite good.  The track has been fenced off and with any luck this should keep people off the track and keep it in the best possible condition.  I have enclosed a photo taken at the Scottish Cmampionships to give you a idea how it looks.

View attachment 44

Just to let you know that the gates have been fitted at the bottom of the track so that the run off can be extended if required.

Well it will soon be the scotish derby which is held at kirkcaldy, the venue is one of the best. You can get good food at the pub( as well as a good pint) and every one is friendly and helpfull to all us racers. Kareoke is on both weekends in the pub and all are welcome to join in with the sing song :p Good luck to all especially me ;) Hope we all have an injury free month. :D Whats your tips then, come on dont be shy go for it :D   :p  ???

Good luck to all those running at Kirkcaldy - it is a great ground, good food and drink nearby and the welcome from Arthur and his companions is wonderful.

We wish you a successful Derby - our best wishes

from

June and the Caledonian Thistle PWRC

well really looking forward to this years derby hope its a good one ....

I've heard the derby final results today(2nd hand ;) )

1st biddy (?x?)

2nd xquisite ( heartbreaker x xtreme)

3rd xcentric ( xspell x lady blue)

4th fluke (m/mouse x dessie)

5th xstasy ( xspell x time please)

big well done to everyone, esp gill & jane who had 3 bitches in the final( is that a record :p ??)

hope everyone had a good time....from what I heard we had hotter weather at old hall that the scots did, excellent weather for us sunbathers but far too hot for the dogs :(

just like to say well done pat n pete,and their little bitch pintsize winning supreme pup,also from the same litter denise and gary's amazing grace ran very well  too,looks like being a interesting litter,and one to look out for :D   :D

well done to all the finalists at the scottish derby  especially  pat & pete with pintsize,garry&denise with amazing grace.     this looks like a super litter.

Has anyone got the full results,breeding and weights from the scotish derby.                                  As a matter of intrest how many dogs were there.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             cheers.

one hundred and twenty seven dogs entered the scotish derby. One had kennel cough. I have just had three of my dogs to the vets with it, i would advice all who attended the derby to keep an eye on their dogs.

No Limit Winner--Stormbird.

40lb Winner--Go Loco.

Vets--Hot Number.

Derby Winner BIDDY 18lb.

Sup Pups(Dog)Oscars Pride 21lb

(Bitch Pup and overall winner PINTSIZE 21lb.

Yearling winner RAGAMUFFIN 18lb.

Thanks Pat/Pete for the results and congratulations on your win at the derby,hope she can make the step up into the adults.ps do you know the breeding of biddy? (to tight to buy the whippet news)  

thanks

:p Thanks smurf, I believe the breeding of BIDDY is Montana and Little Fox Glove. Biddy ran really well as did all the other finalist, it was an enjoyable holliday and we cant wait for the next one to come around. Thanks to all who made the Scottish Derby a HUGE success and tirelessly worked through out the holliday. A big pat on the back for Arthur yr a star(robbie burns of course) :p  GOOD LUCK to all at the B.W.R.A.Champs . :D   :p   ;)

well what a great time gary and i had up in scotland well that was after the first few days of food poison we both picked up,

but we soon got over that and straight off to the pub with great company and what a great time was had by all there(top of the toon).

the racing over the weekend was great the were some fantastic races run.

i have to say well done to pat and pete with there brillant pup pintsize(milly) she was a star...

biddy ran out of her skin and never put a foot wrong congratulations to her....

also well done to jill and her sister for getting 3 of her dogs in the final how many of us would like to be able to do this

also fluke she ran really well to get in the final , as shes not long out of season well done harry

it was my first time at scotland for the derby,and probably my last,no middle judges and some bad decisions,nothing for the kid's to do,quite a comparison to the english derby at newton aycliffe,which was the best weekend racing i have attended,

my thought's and a few others on the scotish derby it was rubbish.even though my dog's did good.kids need to have something to do too.

Hi pplz, got back 10pm monday night, left couple of hours after u neil WHEN IT STOPPED RAINING   :p !!! I got home with a bruised ankle from my escapades (hmph gone are the days when I get a mention for my part which I'm sure kept you all entertained) Not bad for a girl who gave it up 6 months ago because of a dislocated knee. Never mind anyway, roll on Melton I'll Wow you all out there for sure   :D   :D   :D  :0   :p

We were dead chuffed with Kerri, she's been to the vets too pat, gladly not for anything as worrying as ur lot but she has conjunctivitis and an inflamed eye and she picked up a stomach upset mid week (explains the cramp and why she's been off her food) .

I am very sorry for Neil and others that never enjoyed the scottish derby week as i always do i think its one of the best events on the whippet callander there was football and cricket matches played until gary gorton ran out of steam but i think that the derby itself is run very well and i also think that there is not much in the way of thanks for what they do put on there are only a few racers in scotland and arthur cooke who organizes the event does not even have a dog to run and he works all year to get the best sponsership he can which is what seems to draw the dogs the only way to cater for kids is for the parents to organize a committee to do that sort of thing  i do think that kids should be catered for but who would want that job? bet there aint many voulenteres

up for it

Well they say honesty is the best policy and I applaud Neil for being that.  But as Kirkcaldy WRC is the club that I am a member I feel that I have to reply to his comments.

1. No middle judges.

1a. Yes this is true but we did not have enough people to help. We are a small region but despite this we try if possible not to ask anyone traveling to the event to help.  The reason for this is we want people who travel to be able to relax and enjoy racing there dogs like I do when I travel south (several times a year) but if people want to help us out in any way next year let us know.

2. Some bad decisions.

2a. Its like football what looks like one thing to one person looks like something else to someone else.  It has happened to me this year when i did not agree with a ruling against me it hurts at the time but these things happen in Whippet Racing.

3. Nothing for the kids to do.

3a. Yes as a club we did not put anything on for the kids.  But I hope we can look at this for future derbys.  But locally there is a summer fun fair at Burntisland and a underworld sea centre in North Queensferry to name two both within driving distance. A bit unfair I think as the entertainment for kids is a new thing in Whippet Racing and trust me on this one I have been racing a lot of years.

4. English Derby.

4a. Yes I agree this years English Derby was the best racing event I have been to. But I have been to another English Derby that was nothing like this years.  The success of this years English Derby could haunt Whippet Racing for a long time every weekend event from now on will be judged against it.

5. Rubbish.

5a. A bit hard I think the council have spent nearly £3500 on our track to improve it.  A Cook spent a lot of time putting the event together.  The workers worked hard.  And also all the rubbish in black bags and boxes that was left in various places around the camping area (by some racers) had to be cleaned up by club members.  A bit unfair I think as a large skip was provided for rubbish to be put in.  

IN CLOSING

We try to make the event as enjoyable as possible but this year we heard some unusual comments.  I am not going to go into detail as this is long enough and lets face it everyone will know by now even if they were not there because thats how Whippet Racing works.  I look foreward to comparing the weekend events in future against this years English Derby.  It will be interesting to see what appears on K9.

Thank you for attending The Scottish Derby I hope to see you all next year.

hi john,i got a few things right ey,as for the track i dont know what all the fuss was about it looked great to me,and i bet there wasn,t many dogs go home lame,you have all done a brill job with the track,i think you ran up and down the track more than the dogs did :D   ;) staff at top of the toun were great.see you at the champ's .hey your not bad a making swing's.

??? well i have to say it , THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE SCOTISH DERBY, true there should have been middle judges r u offering for next time!!!!!!! I thought all the members of kirkcaldy whippet racing club did a brilliant job,and yes i agree a committee should be formed to arrange entertainment for the kids, is any one offering to be on this!!!!! A big WELL DONE ARTHUR ( only thing wrong was my dogs coming home with >KENNEL COUGH<). see u all at the champs.    Tricia

Back