The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Price Of Puppys? Help.

Boffy01 said:
Do you mind if I ask where you got this figure of £300-£350 from?Not being funny or anything but to my mind that would say Puppy Farmer.  :(

I'm not a breeder just a Whippet lover who has just started doing a few shows this year & have no desire to breed in the future.

Personally speaking I think that £400-£450 is a fair amount to pay from a good breeder who feeds the pup's well etc & is there on the end of the phone for free advice going forward. This advice in it's self is well worth paying that little bit extra for but to know that you have a lovely healthy puppy with a good temperament etc is worth it's wait in gold.

PARDON !!!!! Thats one sweeping statement there......I've quoted my own post from a previous thread ......

Cor blimey ......I charged a mere £350 for my pups ......they went having re organised my house, met everything in the house and garden for socilisation, they were dew clawed by my vet who came to my house and were also vet checked ......they were ear tattooed and virtually house trained ........having 1 litter nearly killed me as they got me up through the night as they didn't want to mess in their pen, so I had to put them out .......I couldn't have coped with TWO litters at the same time w00t.gif .......but then I guess my next litter in about 2 years time has 3 of my owners have already booked a pup and i'll keep the one or 2 as well .......2 litters at the same time starts alarm bells ringing, but thats just me ........ clover.gif clover.gif in finding them all good homes, perhaps you should have advertised the litters befor they were DUE so you had homes lined up !!!!! but again thats just me .......

Right now forgot to add .........food wise mine had the best ...Royal Canin and fresh human consumption meat and chicken wings .....Pilchards, scrambled eggs, rice pudding etc.......I must confess though I'm no "top" breeder though my puppies had all they could want .....New toys, sounds etc on a daily basis just to help with their socilisation ......In the whole 12 years of owning Whippet bitches, I have bred a staggering 2 litters ......ALL of my owners keep in touch and know i'm at the end of the phone if they need me whenever ........So yes i'm a tad offended that you class people like me as puppy farmers cos we don't charge as much as you think we should .....Rant over Hannah :angry:

I got the figure of £300-£350 off GOOD BREEDERS! who we have spoken to at all the shows we have attended last year.

And other people on this forum......

Well said Hannah,You charge what you feel is a fair price.It is a bit "sweeping" to say if you sell for £300-£350 you must be a whippet farmer :blink:

thanks,

Phill. :D

I feed my dogs on good quality food, all meat is for human consumption. I do not cut corners and i work my price from that. Even if insurance covers some or part of emergency treatments, it is still an expense, albeit spread over longer period of time. I just do not understand how can people, total strangers, expect me to let them have pup bellow cost. I get suspicious of anybody who thinks pedigree dogs are too expensive, as that suggests they are not aware how much it costs to keep a dog. I have to wonder if they are really prepared to give the pup all the care it needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boffy01 said:
Do you mind if I ask where you got this figure of £300-£350 from?Not being funny or anything but to my mind that would say Puppy Farmer.  :(

I'm sorry but you are very wrong in that assumption.

Sorry but I think that is a ridiculous statement,and the sort which causes bad feeling :angry:

A huge amount of people on here charge that amount for well bred puppies and would be offended by that comment :blink:

No offence intended to anyone I was just asking a question. I know several people that charge around £400-£450 mark and wondered if the £300-£350 mark was puppy farmers.

As I said before "It's a real shame that there are still puppy farmers out there that bring the breed & breeders into question just because they want £££££'s "

If it wasn't for the puppy farmers I wouldn't have needed to ask!

Boffy01 said:
Sorry but I think that is a ridiculous statement,and the sort which causes bad feeling :angry:

A huge amount of people on here charge that amount for well bred puppies and would be offended by that comment :blink:

No offence intended to anyone I was just asking a question. I know several people that charge around £400-£450 mark and wondered if the £300-£350 mark was puppy farmers.

As I said before "It's a real shame that there are still puppy farmers out there that bring the breed & breeders into question just because they want £££££'s "

If it wasn't for the puppy farmers I wouldn't have needed to ask!

I agree that puppy farmers are only out to make money but the price they charge is irrelevant which would usually be top money anyway because they are greedy, it it the quantity of pups they breed with no regard as to where they go after that, there is a big difference between a breeder and a puppy farmer.

I think that because we have lots of people on here doing research before they get their new puppy we have to be mindful of that before we make statements which are misinformed :thumbsup:

Price of a puppy is definitely NOT an indication of a Puppy Farmer. We have a puppy farmer who asks double or more what most of reputable breeders do. I used to know a breeders who would sell pups for fraction of what others did, The reason was they wanted their dogs to go to homes, preferably with retired people, who were home with the dogs. The normal price would be prohibitive to these people. this way these breeders had the choice of suitable, and very greatful owners.

Suspicious signs:

Several litters on the ground at the same time

Claims that the pups are all outstanding quality

Claiming they are outstanding when they have not even opened their eyes yet

Saying they are outstanding because their parents are outstanding - I have seen some very outstanding parents producing very disapointing litters.

phill said:
But to some people they are a nice earner,Don't deny it please.
                                      Thanks,

Phill.

Agree entirely.

You sound just the type of home I would like to have my pups. Actually I have put off having another litter for at least another year as it seems that at the moment there are an awful lot of whippet puppies looking for homes (20 on the KC website alone).

I hope all these puppies find good homes?

Good luck in your search.

I paid £300 for one of my dogs and £350 for the other and they were most certainly not from Puppy farmers, :rant:

but from respectible breeders. (and I should add that s well over a year ago now)

Both came with their full pedigrees of course and information on feeding etc.and good advice)

The price justifies this beatiful breed and I personally dont think they should be sold for any less.

I should add before it gets misunderstood, that the reason I want another litter is so I can have a bitch to carry on the line, not just for the sake of it. I decided to put the mating off until I feel confident I can place the puppies in good homes, even though the litter will be small (three last time).

Thank you Angela for your kind words,We would indeed make a VERY LOVING home for a whippet puppy.(like your web site too) :D

Just because i questioned the price some people are charging for puppies,Does'nt mean we would not make a good home,Seraphina said "they are suspicious of people who question the price"

I could flip this around and say us "newbie's" would be suspicious of people who are charging ££££...? Fair? :blink:

Janimal has put it all into context,Thanks :thumbsup:

I came to this website,As Lesley has said to do a lot of research before we get our puppy and have been talking to breeders at shows.I have had a lot of good advice and help already.Thanks,Esp:Lesley,Naylor whippets,Angela.saraquale....AND MANY MORE :cheers: :huggles:

Phill.

(Angela,you may have spoken to me at last Grimsagh show? It looks like you on your website?)

phill said:
Thank you Angela for your kind words,We would indeed make a VERY LOVING home for a whippet puppy.(like your web site too) :D
Just because i questioned the price some people are charging for puppies,Does'nt mean we would not make a good home,Seraphina said "they are suspicious of people who question the price"

I could flip this around and say us "newbie's" would be suspicious of people who are charging ££££...? Fair? :blink:

Janimal has put it all into context,Thanks :thumbsup:

I came to this website,As Lesley has said to do a lot of research before we get our puppy and have been talking to breeders at shows.I have had a lot of good advice and help already.Thanks,Esp:Lesley,Naylor whippets,Angela.saraquale....AND MANY MORE :cheers:   :huggles:

Phill.

(Angela,you may have spoken to me at last Grimsagh show? It looks like you on your website?)

Yes Phil, when I was looking for a puppy in 2004 I rang round and emailed quite a few people who had litters for sale.

It was quite amazing the difference in price of puppies - some even from £150 up in the North (yes and these were pedigrees too) right up to around £650. I asked the price they were charging but colour and temperament were very important to me.(as I was looking for a brindle/parti at the time)

Anyway I eventually found the perfect puppy and the price was somewhere the middle of these. :) In hindsight I probably would have paid more for him - because it was love at first sight. :huggles: :)

phill said:
Not me, this would have been Max's breeder and now Crystal's owner, Lesley Fletcher.

Both of us will all be at the Grimsnargh show on the 28th, weather permitting.

Hope to see you there, breed shows are a very good way to decide what sort of whippet you want.

Well thanks for that,Janimal.That is what we intend to do in a couple of months.Thank you. :D

Angela,We did speak to you for a while at the Blackpool show last year,My wife has just said the same.You were also very helpful then.Thanks.

My profile and pic is up now.

Phill. :thumbsup: :D

phill said:
Well thanks for that,Janimal.That is what we intend to do in a couple of months.Thank you. :D
Angela,We did speak to you for a while at the Blackpool show last year,My wife has just said the same.You were also very helpful then.Thanks.

My profile and pic is up now.

Phill. :thumbsup:   :D

Couple of months Phil :- " September is closer than I thought :teehee:

I've said this before but although I understand that price shouldn't be a persons only concern, anyone who doesn't need to ask the price of something before they buy it must be rolling in money, therefor I can't understand why it is a big taboo to ask how much something is, whatever it is because if you haven't got enough money to buy it whats the point of asking anything else. :unsure:

I know that if I went through a thousand questions and answers with a breeder and all was well then I said I didnt have enough money to buy it they wouldn't give it to me for free just because I met all the other criteria would they :blink:

Quite right Lesley , but Id prefer the first question not to be `how much ` simply because other things are more important than the money side of thing s , Its not just a case of paying for the puppy is it , there s vacinations , worming, feeding , dog beds , bowls , collars ,coats ( if needed of course :- " ) and the all important vets fees , (w00t) lets hope they are never needed of course , but you never know when a BIG bill is around the corner :( :eek: ;)

Wouldnt you want ot know what colour the puppy is for starters , :teehee:

JAX said:
Quite right Lesley , but Id prefer the first question not to be `how much `  simply because other things are more important than the money side of thing s , Its not just a case of paying for the puppy is it , there s vacinations , worming, feeding , dog beds , bowls , collars ,coats ( if needed of course  :- " ) and the all important vets fees , (w00t)   lets hope they are never needed of course  , but you never know when a BIG bill is around the corner  :(   :eek:   ;)
Wouldnt you want ot know what colour the puppy is for starters ,  :teehee:

Not me Jax any colour is fine for me :lol: :wub:

I agree with what you say and if the time ever comes to breed for me I would need to know that the person could afford to care properly for the puppy financially aswell as everything else before I would let a puppy go, I just like to know how much something is personally because its a big initial outlay and so you know how much you are going to spend, the price hasn't stopped me yet :D

Cheers for the feedback,Yes September is coming sooner than we thought :- " (Lesley) :p

We do have the funds to look after the puppy and all the bedding,food,collars,Vet fee's,Inoculations.....Just as we do with our cats now :D

I have a good idea of the costs involved and we can't wait to share our home with "ERIC" :luck: :D :lol:

Ta!

Phill

:luck: with finding your 'Eric'

I'm sure he'll turn up when the time is right, puppies are good at that :lol:

Back