The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Price Of Puppys? Help.

phill

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered before,I have tried searches in the F.A.Q. But i could'nt find out :b

Could anybody tell me what we should be expected to pay for a decent, healthy line whippet pup? NOT for showing or racing,Just a lovely pet whippy for us :thumbsup: :D

Thanks.

PHILL

i would say £350.00 upwards

I would say around the £350 mark! Quite cheap compared to some pedigree breeds. :thumbsup:

I don't think it makes a difference particularly about it being to show/race or pet. To be honest, i'd say that the average price for a decent, well-bred pup has gone to about £450, judging by the likes of champdogs etc. I've seen quite a few litters advertised above this price and im sure there are some below.

Remember - a dog may be a bit more but then a good breeder will have spent more on raising the litter - better food etc. I wouldn't begrudge an extra £50 for this reason and would never select a puppy on price, although i wouldn't pay a lot over my original figure of £450, as i personally think anymore than this is being greedy for a Whippet. :- "

Just my opinion and observations! :thumbsup:

jok said:
I don't think it makes a difference particularly about it being to show/race or pet.  To be honest, i'd say that the average price for a decent, well-bred pup has gone to about £450, judging by the likes of champdogs etc.  I've seen quite a few litters advertised above this price and im sure there are some below.
Remember - a dog may be a bit more but then a good breeder will have spent more on raising the litter - better food etc.  I wouldn't begrudge an extra £50 for this reason and would never select a puppy on price, although i wouldn't pay a lot over my original figure of £450, as i personally think anymore than this is being greedy for a Whippet. :- "

ive seen them at £200 up to £600 although i think £400 is about right , thats for a well bred , well reared dog . :thumbsup:

there are so many litters around at the moment its a shame :(

jok said:
I don't think it makes a difference particularly about it being to show/race or pet.  To be honest, i'd say that the average price for a decent, well-bred pup has gone to about £450, judging by the likes of champdogs etc.  I've seen quite a few litters advertised above this price and im sure there are some below.
Remember - a dog may be a bit more but then a good breeder will have spent more on raising the litter - better food etc.  I wouldn't begrudge an extra £50 for this reason and would never select a puppy on price, although i wouldn't pay a lot over my original figure of £450, as i personally think anymore than this is being greedy for a Whippet. :- "

I quite agree JOK . Some people are jumping on the bandwagon it seems . I would get one from a well known breeder whose stock you can see are all heathy , maybe see grandma and gt granparent if poss, Also looks good that they love there dogs and keep them even if they arnt being shown , I know some who only keep show dogs and get rid if no good . :eek: and just have current show dog :eek:

I think £450.00 is about right for a whippet dont thnik i d pay above it ,

bashful said:
jok said:

I quite agree JOK . Some people are jumping on the bandwagon it seems . I would get one from a well known breeder whose stock you can see are all heathy , maybe see grandma and gt granparent if poss, Also looks good that they love there dogs and keep them even if they arnt being shown , I know some who only keep show dogs and get rid if no good . :eek: and just have current show dog :eek:

my whippets are priced from 450 to 550

it all depends on breeding . wud you like my telephone number if you are considering buying one

matrichardson said:
bashful said:
jok said:

it all depends on breeding . wud you like my telephone number if you are considering buying one

No thank you

Thanks for your help.

We were thinking of £300-£350,I think that is a fair price? £450-£600 seems VERY expensive for a whippet (w00t) .And we're in the north :- "

Thanks,

Phill. :thumbsup:

matrichardson said:
bashful said:
jok said:

So are you saying that yours are better bred than puppie's from a top class breeder?

From reading the other thread that MATRICHARDSON has started he does seem VERY eager to sell these puppies quickly.

Almost like anyone will do as long as they have the £££££££££ :(

No offence intended to you Bashful :)

Surely a good home is more important than ££££'s?

Whilst you might pay a little over the odds for a show dog breeders could miss out on a really good home through over charging!

Umm , Ive read all this and I think that the price I charge £450.00 is enough for a whippet . baring in mind the cost of a stud can be anything up to £500. 00+ . . Good feeding is a must for pups and my bitches get up to 4lb of meat a day (w00t) should they want it whilst feeding her pups . and that all comes out of any profit should you make any , then of course there is always the possiblity of her needing help ( ceasar ) to whelp . But t lets not be negative ;)

I think knowledge of your breeding lines also is a plus when selling pups ,I know peps like to see other relations of the pups when they come over , and gt granma Mayzee loves visitors :huggles: but at the end of the day good PERMANANT homes is all that matters , and of course afterrcare to the new owners is a must :cheers: Isnt it JO :huggles: :cheers:

JAX said:
Umm , Ive read all this and I think that the price I charge £450.00 is enough for a whippet . baring in mind the cost of a stud can be anything up to £500. 00+ . . Good feeding is a must for pups and my bitches get up to 4lb of meat a day  (w00t) should they want it whilst feeding her pups  . and that all comes out of any profit should you make any , then of course there is always the possiblity of her needing help ( ceasar ) to whelp . But t lets not be negative  ;)
I think knowledge of your  breeding lines also is a plus when selling pups ,I know peps like to see other relations of the pups when they come over , and gt granma Mayzee loves visitors  :huggles:   but at the end of the day good PERMANANT homes is all that matters , and of course afterrcare to the new owners is a must  :cheers:   Isnt it JO  :huggles:   :cheers:

Good point about the aftercare JAX. I am lucky to have had pups from two breeders who are always willing to give help and advice if i need it :thumbsup: :huggles:

i think you cant put a price on a good breeders aftercare and knowledge help and advice.can sometimes also save you lots of money in vets bills :thumbsup:

Copied from the "other" thread. (w00t)

I have only had 2 litters, this being my second, as I wanted something else for myself. I am charging the same for dogs and bitches and to me the home is the most important thing. Three of my last litter are being shown, one being mine. BUT, more important to me is that they are part of their owners family and very much loved. I agree, to raise a litter properly is very expensive and time consuming. My pups go on a contract that at any time in their life, if for some reason the owner has to part with them, they come back to me. I brought them into the world and feel it is my responsibility to ensure they have a happy, safe home. I have been very lucky, I have been able to keep in contact with all the pups and love to see how they are developing

Hi again,

The after care and advice and knowing the lines of the puppy are very important,And the care provided for the litter....food etc.

But i sense a lot of money is being made out of pedigree breeds,I agree that a good home is more important than £££ ? So long as your not losing any £.

As i have said £300-£350 is ample for a PET whippet!

I feel there are a lot of good breeders(NOT just whippets) out there,But A few in it to make a lot of £,I don't wish to upset anybody,But that's what it looks like?

Phill.

And just to add,I'm glad this topic and the other "puppies for sale" has brought up so much "feeling".

There are many of you good people out there who love the breed and are'nt just in it to make ££££...... I comend you :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A reasonable "profit" and make sure the puppy goes to a loving home is what matters surely??

Everybody seems to want to make skip loads of £ today at any price in all types of things.....it makes me sad and mad :( :rant:

Thanks,

Phill. :blink:

MOST Whippet breeders, certainly the ones I have met, have the interests of the breed at heart. I don't think profit really comes into it for these people. Yes, you can look at a litter of 10 pups at £400 each and think wow. BUT what happens when the bitch needs a ceaser and has no pups or maybe just the one. If you actually add the cost of breeding a litter and raising it properly it is very expensive. Add in your time, not only in looking after bitch and pups but also in interviewing, meeting prospctive new owners, aftercare etc and that " profit" is soon eaten up.

I think sometimes it is forgotton that if there were no CARING, RESPONSIBLE breeders there would be no good quality, well raised and healthy pups for the "pet" market.

BTW, I don't class myself as a "breeder" as such. My dogs live indoors with me as part of my family as my "pets". I happen to enjoy showing them, they enjoy it too. We often caravan with all of them. I had a litter because I felt I was ready and I wanted something for myself. To be honest, the amount that anyone wants to pay for anything is a personal thing. BUT, surely the important thing is to be completely happy that the dog/cat etc you buy is the absolute right one for you from someone who you feel has the best interest of that animal at heart.

I think average is between 350 and 450 Phil, by the time you get your puppy you'll be all clued up on where to go and what you want :D

Back