The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Picco Has Had A Chunk Bitten Out Of His Ear

Thanks again everyone :) we're all feeling a lot calmer this morning and Picco has been cleaned up by Leon and Teasel so is looking a lot better :)

The owner is now claiming his dog did nothing wrong :eek: and is in the process of phoning up Lurcher rescues to try and rehome him, which is fine as long as he's going to be honest with them :unsure:

Here's a couple of pics of him, the owner is adamant he's a Deerhound/Whippet cross but he looks like he has some sort of Bull breed in him as well to me :unsure: but who knows :blink:

bdf.jpg

bdg.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Jones said:
Thanks again everyone  :)   we're all feeling a lot calmer this morning and Picco has been cleaned up by Leon and Teasel so is looking a lot better  :)
The owner is now claiming his dog did nothing wrong  :eek:   and is in the process of phoning up Lurcher rescues to try and rehome him, which is fine as long as he's going to be honest with them  :unsure:

Here's a couple of pics of him, the owner is adamant he's a Deerhound/Whippet cross but he looks like he has some sort of Bull breed in him as well to me  :unsure:   but who knows  :blink:

bdf.jpg

bdg.jpg

Cheers

Steve

steve that dog is never a deerhoundXwhippet it may well be a greyhound x whippet (grew) may even be a greyhound/bull x whippet. The best thing they could do with the dog is have it PTS. I've known simular dogs and they must be a liability to own. It could be a child it gets hold of next.

The dogs owners want shooting for even considering rehoming it.

Hi Steve,

I have been following this thread and after seeing the picture can only imagine (and I only do so for a fleeting moment as I get upset :( ) how anxious, upset and angry you must be feeling. He is so gorgeous and when I look at my whippet Floyd and see how trusting and loving he is and think about how it would damage him physically and emotionally it doesn't bear thinkning about.

We were on the beach at weekend and I really enjoyed letting him run free and enjoy the experience of meeting new doggie friends and I suppose normally most are okay are fine, but I am a bit wary now I have seen your lovely but sad looking Picco. It's a compromise I don't want to have to make, but can you always trust someone with a dog with behaviour problems to mind thier dog.

I wish you both the best and my thoughts are with you.

Lise & Floyd. :luck:

PLease let us know how Picco is getting on!

God my stomach turned when I saw Teasel so close to that lurcher. :eek:

I dont think it's kind to keep re-homing a 'problem' dog, it will probably add to any anxieties. I cant understand why they thin kanyone else should take him on.

Steve - I'd suggest they phone Evesham Greyhound and Lurcher rescue and be honest with Pip. She has dogs in her home that she wont re-home as they are biters - she knows how to handle them. If anyone can help then she is the best person.

If it were my dog that was so unpredictable I'd and there was no hope for him I'd give him a last good run, nice meal and then have him PTS. :(

if he does hand this dog in to a rescue centre rty and fined out whitch one and contackt them with what you know about this dog. It could end up in a houes with kids and 25 stiches in a childs face dosnt bare thinking about. If you dont want to do it if you give me the details I will.

Well o have had a good look at the picks and the dog looks to heavy set for a whippet/deerhound cross and to short in the boddy there is definatly bull in there. A bull cross brought up and trained well is a wounderfull dog but if you dont know what your doing its a killer. Most sighthound rescues wont take bull crosses in so may be thats why hes saying there no bull in it.

I hope pico is felling better today and when his fur grows back his ear wont be as noticabel :huggles: to pico

once a dog has bitten a human it'll be less restrained the next time. 1000's of years of being bred to coexist with people, this dog, or any, would only have bitten as a last resort. imagine what would have driven him to go against his inbred desire to please man kind? sadly, once a dog has defied his inner nature, and gotten away with it without some punishment, he'll find it easier to ignore the instincts telling him not to bite. it would take someone special to turn him into something approaching safe. i think he's a handsome dog, and without kids i would seriously consider taking him, but i do have children, and they come first. its just a shame that his owners arent seeing it like that. i could never imagine passing on 'damaged goods' to an unsuspecting family just to dodge responsibility. it really wouldnt surprise me if the gentleman involved actually feels self rightious, twisting things to the point where HE is the 'hero' striving valiantly to save this dog from a death, which he probably deserves, at the hands of a dog hating vet. i've met a few people with that mentality, and i'm positive that the realisation that this dog is so unpredictable and dangerous, because of HIS OWNERS, will never dawn.

hugs and kisses to the wounded soldier :huggles: :huggles:

Mark Roberts said:
That the trouble with rescue dogs your normaly taking on someone elses problems as it's very rare for someone to get rid of a nice well manard dog.
IMO a dog like this should be PTS not re-homed.

i would generaly agree with this and i always said that i would never get a rescue dog.

HOWEVER, i got buck last december from a rescue centre in sheffield, i was given a tale that he came from a family that had split up,he was the husbands dog and he couldn't take the dog with him to his new flat so he sent buck to the rescue centre. i took all this with a hugh pinch of salt, but buck appeared to be the type of whippet i was after, so i took a gamble on him.

he was a little head strong at first but he soon came round to what i wanted him to do. he had obviously worked before and on our first proper outing he caught me a bunny. he has also made a great house dog and the whole family love him to bits

I couldn't have asked for a better whippet

heres buck

buck_chasing__2_.jpg

What a terrible thing to happen.

Hope poor little Picco is soon on the mend. :huggles:

:( OMG Picco looks so sad, hope he's cheering up now after being cleaned by his mates,

as for little Teasel being so close, lamb to the slaughter, so glad he didn't fancy a taste of her :(

it's never the 'owners fault' :- " and you just couldn't take a chance with this dog.

Our golden cocker spaniel was a biter and when my baby was born I couldn't put him in rescue as I wouldn't like to be responsible for him going to a home with kids and biting them, my O.H. wouldn't have a healthy dog pts so he had to go and live with the in-laws (dog not O.H. :oops: ) and we were very careful on visits.

BTW how do you put the sock on the head for the ears ???

Janis you must have a demo photo somewhere !

Jones said:
The owner is now claiming his dog did nothing wrong  :eek:
Hmmn, not the first time I've noticed people with serially-aggressive dogs put the blame on the other party. I think they are sometimes genuinely in denial about the true nature of their dogs. They often become very tense & anxious when other dogs approach theirs too, which probably sends out all the wrong signals.

Met a woman with a huge, muzzled boxer, straining against the lead with his whole weight to get at our dog, who told me how viscious the other whippet in the village was; how she wouldn't let hers anywhere near him (Henry, the whippet in question, being a rather elderly and extremely non-confrontational dog). Oddly she didn't go into details as to why her own dog was permanently on a lead/muzzled. :- "

Floyd was put to sleep yesterday afternoon :( R.I.P Floyd :(

Steve

:huggles: For Picco poor boy.

R I P. Floyd sad but the best thing for him. :(

[SIZE=14pt]RIP Floyd ......... you're in a happier place now ![/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
RIP Floyed I think a dog like that must be in termoil inside so now he has some peace.

R.I.P Floyd, Sometimes there is no other options, I think the right thing was done.

Love to Pico, he was very lucky to get off so lightly.

Ears do take a long time and I do think they can hurt, one of mine held his head on one side for quite a while after he lost a lump off the end.

A sad end but for the best.

Unfortunately a dog like Floyd would never be able to be trusted with other dogs or people and almost impossible to rehome.There would be little alternative but to put him to sleep.

Floyd looked a handsome dog, it's so sad he became aggressive. Do you know much about his background. I'm just a bit curious to know, how old was he and how long had the owners had him.

RIP Floyd.

Hope Picco is OK today

Last edited by a moderator:
Jones said:
Floyd was put to sleep yesterday afternoon  :(   R.I.P Floyd  :(
Steve

I've had to face this dilemma recently and it's horrid. :( At least they did the right thing for him in the end.

RIP Floyd, and play nicely with Arthur.

moriarte said:
Hmmn, not the first time I've noticed people with serially-aggressive dogs put the blame on the other party. I think they are sometimes genuinely in denial about the true nature of their dogs.
I totally agree, but in my case it was other people who didn't really know the dog (Arthur) who were in denial.

Floyd's people are to be commended for making a really tough decision, albeit in the end. Pity it wasn't in time to avoid Picco getting hurt though. :(

Sad news, but at least you can rest assured that he won't hurt anyone else now.

Hope Picco is on the mend :luck:

Back