The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

New Owner

sounds like he is doing well :thumbsup:

i know its hard but persevere with night time

(i am a big softie and mine do sleep in bed with me though :b )

he is looking lovely and im sure in a few days he will have settled down at night :- "

he is pretty good at night time now and toilet training is going really well and he is very clean in his cage.the only thing we are still struggling with at the moment is the rough play and wanting to chew everything and everyone when he starts to play,starting to get really painful now and my daughter was led on the sofa earlier when he ran and jumped on her and sank his teeth into her shoulder and arm leaving some quite nasty scratches.no amount of shouting no's or trying to ignore him or even putting him in his cage is making any difference at the moment.not too sure how to deal with the situation at the moment as my daughter is starting to become afraid of being around him when he is awake.

The pup could be confused because your daughter started out having a bit of rough and tumble play with him, he's probably thinking he can still play that way now, even though she doesn't want to.

Have you tried just ignoring him, fold your arms and turn your back on him and each time he comes at your for rough play keep doing it until he stop and realises that its not acceptable. Then when he stops get him to sit and then praise him.

If the whole family does it, he should learn that he gets praise for good behaviour and ignored for naughty behaviour.

jas328sport said:
lastly the only thing we have found so far that satisfies his teething urges
DSCF0001-1.jpg

He is a very handsome puppy! My whippet is quite picky as far as chew toys go, but like most other dogs I've met, she finds bull pizzles irresistible.

hellybobs said:
The pup could be confused because your daughter started out having a bit of rough and tumble play with him, he's probably thinking he can still play that way now, even though she doesn't want to.
Have you tried just ignoring him, fold your arms and turn your back on him and each time he comes at your for rough play keep doing it until he stop and realises that its not acceptable.  Then when he stops get him to sit and then praise him.

If the whole family does it, he should learn that he gets praise for good behaviour and ignored for naughty behaviour.

impossible to ignore him because he bloody hurts and he just keeps jumping up and snapping.in fact he has just walked up to my daughter all nicely as if he was about to lie down on her,then jumped up and bit her face again :angry:

he is also rough with the wife but obviously being bigger and stronger she can easily stop him.no doubt he will stop it soon but in the meantime i just have to try and keep him away from littleun until he calms down.

jas328sport said:
hellybobs said:
Have you tried just ignoring him, fold your arms and turn your back on him and each time he comes at your for rough play keep doing it until he stop and realises that its not acceptable.  Then when he stops get him to sit and then praise him.

impossible to ignore him because he bloody hurts and he just keeps jumping up and snapping.in fact he has just walked up to my daughter all nicely as if he was about to lie down on her,then jumped up and bit her face again :angry:

he is also rough with the wife but obviously being bigger and stronger she can easily stop him.no doubt he will stop it soon but in the meantime i just have to try and keep him away from littleun until he calms down.

I know the biting hurts...been there, done that and got the teeth marks (w00t)

You all have to persevere in trying ignore, try crying ouch at the same as turning your back...its somewhat similer to the bitch or the litter yelping when a pup bites.

Your daughter has to be part of it, otherwise the pup will still think he's higher up in the pecking order than she is and that is what your trying to stop.

Its difficut to do all of this when you see your daughter upset and with bites and scratches but it won't get any easier until all of you put a great deal of effort in to stop it.

Back