The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

My whipster got run over!! :-(

Yay my whipster should be home tomorrow!!!

You can't believe how chuffed i am to say that.

Just spoke to the vet who is over the moon with the surgery & how she coped with the anaesthetic, they also went back into her knee & sutured the ligaments around it & re-flushed it so they are hopeful she will be ok to come home tomorrow!

For a little dog that spends it's life on my sofa i've not half missed her!

Hope she keeps doing OK Vicky!! Is the hip operation necessary? Years ago I ran over a stray (unintentionally) & dislocated her hip. Because she wasn't mine at that time I couldn't sign consent forms for an op. The vet told me she would make a "false joint" in time. Dogs don't actually have an hip socket like ours & the bone finds a different place to rest against. She carried the leg for month's but eventually started using it again. She lived to a good age with no problems & ran & caught rabbits, rats etc. Still this was a long time ago about 30 yrs, I suppose things have moved on.

Once again hope she keeps going.

This is what i've been told & shown on x-rays; By taking the ball off she too will make a "false joint" but by leaving it to grind on the bone in the place it was resting she would be in quite a bit of discomfort & there are further implications, bad arthiritis etc

We'll see how she goes, i had to go in to day so he could explain, i just couldn't get my head round the fact that her leg would work without the ball in the socket - 90% use is pretty amazing really!

Poor little kit. Thinking about you. Glad the injuries were not worse though. :b

Marie

She's coming home at 3pm today :)

I've got her some liver in specially, might treat her to some chappy too seeing as apparently she likes it!

Last edited by a moderator:
bless her ..i hope she recovers really fast vicky :D

awwwww bless her. she'll probably turn her nose up at liver and bite youre fingers off for chappie.......i wouldnt like to be near her when she lets off a chappie fart :unsure: :p

Glad shes ok, all the best. :cheers:

She's home & is doing brilliant, she managed to walk perfectly (as perfect as you can on 3 legs) to the garden for a widdle, she's resting her leg on the floor when she stands but not putting any weight on it yet (which is much more than i thought she'd be able to). Oh & she's eating like a horse!

Here's some piccys of her tonight, she looks a bit like an rspca case :( but hopefully it won't be long before she's made a full recovery.

Oh & thanks a lot everyone for you good wishes!

Well done Kit, you look adorable despite your scars. Good luck for the future and may you have a good and quick recovery

Yeh scoffed it, she's thin as a bloody rake though.

Thats one big hole she had in her leg ...what a good job they have done of stitching it back up

Hi Vicky - I've only just seen this thread - I'm very sorry for your Kit's bad experience and I am really feeling for her with all her scars and being so thin poor little darling - but she's home with her lovin' mum now and it's great to hear she's eating like a horse - she will soon put the weight back on. Sending big positive get well thoughts from across the waves ...

Thats one big hole she had in her leg ...what a good job they have done of stitching it back up
The main one was a huge gaping hole, it was just all flesh, cannot believe they even managed to get it stitched back together but they've done a fab job & the scar on her hip is tiny considering they went in twice - once to put her hip back in & again to saw off the head of her femur.

She had better live until she's 20 now after all this :D

Last edited by a moderator:
even though she's pretty badly scarred she does'nt look as bad as i thought she would.

did kevin or rupert operate?

All the vets at the surgery have operated on her now - Diane did the stitches & put her hip back in, Rupert re-did the hip & Kevin did her knee.

Back