The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

kickboards

The size of a greyhound trap is relative to the greyhound running in it.If you want to scrap kickboards then all traps should then be made relative to a whippets size.

Food for thought........

Or you could just lets things lie as they are now and let everyone have a choice. :D
DONT START ON SIZE OF WHIPPETS JAC :D
lol I'm not so much starting something (or having a dig either Maurice) It's just that I think people are being delusional if they really think greyhounds don't use the back of the trap to push off. The next time you put your dog in look at the inside of the backdoor and furthermore why on earth do dogs fall out of traps when people forget to shut the backdoor on any traps??! Surely these observations alone are proof without the polava of perspex traps.

A greyhound in a greyhound trap will be able to kick off from the back of the trap. An 18lber will not, unless they either give 1/2yd away by standing at the back of the trap (presuming a GHD trap is aprox 1yd long) or they leap out from the front with no rear support.

As for your supremes, well I recon the heavyweights will have a better chance purely because they'll be able to push off.

Looking at posts on here some recon their dogs have got injured through using kickboards and some recon from not. The fact is singular cases do not make a whole gone conclusion as to whether one is safer over another especially when there are many other factors to consider e.g. trapdoors opening slowly, incorrect angulation of kickboard for dog, slippage on the trap floor etc etc etc.

Surely it is better to have the choice like we all do now and owners can make the right decision for their individual dog?

I for one would sooner give the owner responsibility rather than take that away and jointly bear the responsibility that a decision I voted on put more dogs at injury whether it be insisting all dogs run off kickboards or all didn't.

my dog is as big as a greyhound jacks, but i have looked through the back door at him, and you can have a look too if you like, he is pushing against the front door, and no way is his feet anywhere near the back door, come and have a look at him and see.... same for all.
Have I missed sommat while we've been in Turkey :lol: Don't agree with you Maurice.During straight season,have on occasion used Jims wooden greyhound trap for our Harv.It doesn't have any spikes too push in ground so you have to hammer spike in ground behind back door so that it won't move.On 2 occasions while rushing :wacko: I forgot to hammer spike in.1st time trap landed on Yvonnes foot :b (she was pulling trap),and 2nd time Chris(Ruby Murray) nearly caught trap.He was pulling :b both times Harv came off injured.So that means trap jumped back at least a foot each time,and Harv doesn't pull on front of trap with his feet.Hope this makes sense :lol: if not still getting rid of the alcohol consumed in Turkey

wouldn't get drawn in karen we got back from turkey on tuesday,to find this nearly 8 year old thread moaning about something that wont happen,i haven't even heard that its up to be discussed ;)

wouldn't get drawn in karen we got back from turkey on tuesday,to find this nearly 8 year old thread moaning about something that wont happen,i haven't even heard that its up to be discussed ;)
Where were you Kenny?.We were in Side,and had a fantastic time,beautiful hotel,and lovely people :thumbsup: It's the bend season that draws these topics out the cupboards :lol:

Where were you Kenny?.We were in Side,and had a fantastic time,beautiful hotel,and lovely people :thumbsup: It's the bend season that draws these topics out the cupboards :lol:
bends dont interest me karen so i dont comment,we were in altinkum,1st time there, nice but wouldn't go back,we been going for about 15years,weather wasn't to clever like,never seen as much rain,fantastic people,

The size of a greyhound trap is relative to the greyhound running in it.If you want to scrap kickboards then all traps should then be made relative to a whippets size.

Food for thought........

Or you could just lets things lie as they are now and let everyone have a choice. :D
lol I'm not so much starting something (or having a dig either Maurice) It's just that I think people are being delusional if they really think greyhounds don't use the back of the trap to push off. The next time you put your dog in look at the inside of the backdoor and furthermore why on earth do dogs fall out of traps when people forget to shut the backdoor on any traps??! Surely these observations alone are proof without the polava of perspex traps.

A greyhound in a greyhound trap will be able to kick off from the back of the trap. An 18lber will not, unless they either give 1/2yd away by standing at the back of the trap (presuming a GHD trap is aprox 1yd long) or they leap out from the front with no rear support.

As for your supremes, well I recon the heavyweights will have a better chance purely because they'll be able to push off.

Looking at posts on here some recon their dogs have got injured through using kickboards and some recon from not. The fact is singular cases do not make a whole gone conclusion as to whether one is safer over another especially when there are many other factors to consider e.g. trapdoors opening slowly, incorrect angulation of kickboard for dog, slippage on the trap floor etc etc etc.

Surely it is better to have the choice like we all do now and owners can make the right decision for their individual dog?

I for one would sooner give the owner responsibility rather than take that away and jointly bear the responsibility that a decision I voted on put more dogs at injury whether it be insisting all dogs run off kickboards or all didn't.

my dog is as big as a greyhound jacks, but i have looked through the back door at him, and you can have a look too if you like, he is pushing against the front door, and no way is his feet anywhere near the back door, come and have a look at him and see.... same for all.
well if its as big as greyhound why not race against greyhounds they dont use kickboards problem solved :thumbsup:

everyone is entitled to an opinion but from what i see its not even open for discusion with either nwrf or bwra so maybe like karen said i will liten up a bit lol :p i think it is bored people bringing something back up just to liven things up a bit :b kenny in turkey and karen both look a bit turkish too lol ;)

gaz a seen this bar and thought of you,even got your quiff :x

i shuld no better than try takin mick outa you kenbo lol ;) ill give ya a ring later ;)

Food for thought........

well if its as big as greyhound why not race against greyhounds they dont use kickboards problem solved :thumbsup:

i already have done, when he was a yearling mate. 8 races in total.

Food for thought........

Well the easiest way to demonstrate this Maurice would be to leave the backdoor closed but not locked and we all could see if your dogs a puller or a pusher like's already been mentioned. All that could be summised from such a demonstration is how your dog traps, it would not be an enlightenment to the rest of whippet racers.

How one dog traps doesn't summise all of whippets though especiallly if the example being used is (by your own comment) the same size as a greyhound.

The fact is Maurice, in Quicksilver's situation, a kickboard probably isn't appropiate and as such the way things stand you can make that decision not to use a board.

For others who's dogs are smaller or are 'pushers', a kickboard may well be the safest means of their dogs exiting the traps. Just like yourself, the owner will have watched their dog time and time again during training and made a decision as to whether a kickboard is helpful and what dimensions best suits their dog as an individual.

Like I keep saying, surely it is better for the owner to make the decision as to what is the safest method for their dog to leave the traps rather than us impose a ban based on our own conclusions with our own dogs.

i know my own dog, anyway he dont mind running with or without...fact is all the kickboard issue is because people are trying to get one over on the dogs they are racing against..thats it..same old crap.

fact is all the kickboard issue is because people are trying to get one over on the dogs they are racing against..thats it..same old crap.
Totally agree and think the safety issue is being used to bolster such arguments without any proof backing it up whatsoever.

i know my own dog, anyway he dont mind running with or without...fact is all the kickboard issue is because people are trying to get one over on the dogs they are racing against..thats it..same old crap.

where do you race him maurice ? without a kickboard :angry:

i dont john but as a yearling he had about 8 races with the greyhounds when the bends finished just to get him some experience, like george with on the ball did...anyway why, and what is the angry face for..

i dont john but as a yearling he had about 8 races with the greyhounds when the bends finished just to get him some experience, like george with on the ball did...anyway why, and what is the angry face for..

the angry face there because iam angry. at the stupid suggestions being posted on here. :teehee:

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY MY SIGNATURE AS GONE MISSING.

sorry off the topic

Last edited by a moderator:

the angry face there because iam angry. at the stupid suggestions being posted on here. :teehee:

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY MY SIGNATURE AS GONE MISSING.

you might have left it on facebook lol. :p

sorry off the topic

Last edited by a moderator:
no john , the angry face you put on was because of your cocern that i had raced my dog without a kickboard ...WHY?... is it that you sidelined the reply because someone else who you know had also had there dog in with the greyhounds ?

no john , the angry face you put on was because of your cocern that i had raced my dog without a kickboard ...WHY?... is it that you sidelined the reply because someone else who you know had also had there dog in with the greyhounds ?

not at all maurice i know were you and george have raced the dogs,maybe it's time the old BWRA rule was a proposal for next year. .. :)

not at all maurice i know were you and george have raced the dogs,maybe it's time the old BWRA rule was a proposal for next year. .. :)
if it had being a rule john, then i would have stuck to it , but it was not , i cant break rules that dont exist....

Back