The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Kennel Cough

springfield said:
How long do dogs cough for?
only tw0 of ours coughed they started last saturday and had stopped by

monday night .the other two only cleared their throat from time to time.

hope this helps :)

springfield said:
How long do dogs cough for?
It can vary according to the severity of the infection. Mine both had it mildly last year, Archie coughed for a day, Fynn for 3-4 days, but neither were particularly poorly.

I know it hit some dogs harder than others.

There is a real danger of causing pemanent damage to the lungsif you run your dogs too soon even if they have stopped coughing. If you also imagine the strain whippets put on their hearts and lungs when they run, the consequences of racing a dog that has not fully recovered could be tragic. Personally, I am with June, and I just think the club committees should take a decision to not run for a month once the virus has reared it's head in the whippet world. There's no temptation to run to soon then, or infect healthy dogs.

I think that the Peppermints are the only ones to get KC at Andover however quite a few of us have it who raced at South Cotswold on the 19th have had it. My dog Sonny (McFly) has been coughing now for 6 days and it does not seem to clearing up yet. So far the other 2 are ok but as it took Sonny 10 days before he came down with it who knows - this may be a different strain to what Julie had, our is a very dry cough a definate hacking sound - I have had dogs with KC before but this is lasting a lot longer than I have experienced before, the dog is not unwell in himself and is eating well just this persistant cough which is driving us mad. So beware you are not out of the woods yet, dogs can appear to get better then go down with it again , I'm afraid it's the time of the year and we will just hope it goes away soon.

June Mac

If you love your dogs as i do mine you will keep yours dogs away for a little longer! :eek: i saw some maidstone members at andover open . I have a pup that needs training i am willing to wait a bit longer so maidstone just wait till your open [SIZE=14pt]please[/SIZE]

ive had info via the grape vine :- " :- " that maidstone have cancelled the club meeting this week :thumbsup:

i hope its true :unsure:

and if it is....thankyou :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: would just like to update you all (w00t)

grace and maddie the 2 who had kc worse than the others have been given a clean bill of health by the vets yesterday :cheers: :cheers: he had a listen to their chest and was pleased to say they have been left with no ill effects from the kc :sweating: :sweating:

lolly and casey the lab never got it and flo smudge + dottie are all fine now :thumbsup:

so another 2 weeks away from racing and we should be good to go :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thank god....i cant stand all these sundays at home :wacko: :wacko:

That's Brill news Julie, :thumbsup: it will be good to get back to racing soon :thumbsup: can't wait to trial Ron again :- " he is buzzin at the mo :thumbsup: :wub:

good news sue/julie :thumbsup: glad all the pups are over it now without any ill affects :huggles:

Back