The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Kennel Cough

Carol Jepson said:
I know, I know  :- "  :- "  :lol:   :lol:   so who's going to bribe me then..... I'm open to offers  :D
its ok carol......ive cut you in to the deal with me and maureen :thumbsup:

:- " :- " :- " :- " :- " :- " :- " :- " :- " ????????????????????????

All will be revealed tomorrow at NOOOOOOOOOOOOON :- " :- "

Did he I don't remember that :teehee: This one is definently not Noah :- " :- "

Hi everyone just to put the record straight Maidstone will be running on sunday , after consultation with the vets in kent who have assured me that there are no reported kennel cough cases in this area. cancelling racing meetings will not solve the problem as most infections come from outside the racing world , ie dog shows local parks hunt kennels etc etc .

So far from being irresponsible i feel seeking expert advice is better than rumours and gossip.

A Noah Bruv for the Bruvs, but WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

I've gone off the lot of you (w00t)

GARY BALDOCK said:
Hi everyone just to put the record straight Maidstone will be running on sunday , after consultation with the vets in kent who have assured me that there are no reported kennel cough cases in this area. cancelling racing meetings will not solve the problem as most infections come from outside the racing world , ie dog shows local parks hunt kennels etc etc .
So far from being irresponsible i feel seeking expert advice is better than rumours and gossip.

So according to your vet all the opens and club meetings that have been either postponed or cancelled has been a waste of time i think not.

Tell me the name of that vet and i will remember to steer clear of him and clubs are not being irresponsible they are being sensible.

NOT WHAT I SAID THE CLUBS AND OPENS CANCELLED WERE IN THE AFFECTED AREAS MAIDSTONE TRACK IS ONLY USED BY US AND NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC AS SOME CLUBS ARE . ALSO NOT MY VET BUT VETS WITHIN KENT HAVE NO REPORTED CASES

lynxexpress said:
GARY BALDOCK said:

So according to your vet all the opens and club meetings that have been either postponed or cancelled has been a waste of time i think not.

Tell me the name of that vet and i will remember to steer clear of him and clubs are not being irresponsible they are being sensible.

come from outside the racing world who you trying to kid :rant:

for your information my dogs dont go to public parks , hunt kennels, or shows.

they are run in a private field surrounded by 6 foot fencing which we have

rented for 13 yrs ,so the only place for them to get kennel cough was

RACING. I cannot believe a vet would exclude racing mine certainly would not

peppermint lady said:
lynxexpress said:
GARY BALDOCK said:

Not sure what post your reading or what lines between nobody ruled out racing as a pick up point,my comments are what is relevant to Kent at this time

GARY BALDOCK said:
peppermint lady said:
lynxexpress said:
GARY BALDOCK said:

Not sure what post your reading or what lines between nobody ruled out racing as a pick up point,my comments are what is relevant to Kent at this time

so everyone who,s dog gets kennel cough visits their vet i don,t think so.

or are you clairvoyant .

well all i can say is i wish you well with your race meeting and all the dogs

stay well , and you know what post im reading i started it last week

when my dogs were coughing their guts up.

im sad to think we cannot all work togeather to beat this

GARY BALDOCK said:
NOT WHAT I SAID THE CLUBS AND OPENS CANCELLED WERE IN THE AFFECTED AREAS MAIDSTONE TRACK IS ONLY USED BY US AND NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC AS SOME CLUBS ARE . ALSO NOT MY VET BUT VETS WITHIN KENT HAVE NO REPORTED CASES
I really hate to argue with you Gary my mate, but it's not areas that are infected - but dogs. There is no way of knowing that dogs that are coming to your track have not been in contact with Kennel Cough. Kennel Cough is rife in places where dogs meet and mix together - nothing to do with public areas. I think with you holding an open at your club in 2 weeks time, you owe it to the people who have entered to keep all of your club dogs away from each other to ensure that they are not incubating KC, before it is passed any further. I know you're saying none of you club dogs have it at the moment, but who is to say they have not mixed with other dogs that may have been in contact?

Just another week or so may save this going on for weeks and weeks, and possibly wiping out the season all together :thumbsup:

Just another point, my dogs had KC 2 years ago - if they had it again, I would not visit the vet, as having had it once, I know how to treat it - so just because you say they haven't had any cases reported (and I guess you didn't ring every vet in Kent :- " ) doesn't mean dogs don't have it. There are those in racing who would keep it quiet, so they can get back to the track, before their dogs have stopped shedding the virus - so in my opinion the only way to ensure KC doesn't keep spreading, is to postpone racing for another week or so.

This is just my opinion Gary, but I think it is shared by the majority - and certainly those who have had KC in their dogs, and know how heartbreaking it is to see them in such a state. Once there was a mention of KC, we decided to keep our dogs under wraps until it has passed over - our old girl would not survive another bout.

I am surprised that the WCRA have not shown some initiative and suspended racing at all affiliated clubs for a month. I remember when they suspended racing for about three months when the foot and mouth situation occurred, and no whippet was ever going to catch that. It doesn't matter where you live, or if there have been any cases of kennel cough in your area, if you hold a race meeting and an infected dog attends then it is going to spread. If there are clubs running this weekend then I am sure there will be people travelling from all areas to go there. Anyone who was at the last open should not be attending any race meetings yet, just to be on the safe side. Does anyone not understand that?

SUNDANCE said:
I am surprised that the WCRA have not shown some initiative and suspended racing at all affiliated clubs for a month.  I remember when they suspended racing for about three months when the foot and mouth situation occurred, and no whippet was ever going to catch that.  It doesn't matter where you live, or if there have been any cases of kennel cough in your area, if you hold a race meeting and an infected dog attends then it is going to spread.  If there are clubs running this weekend then I am sure there will be people travelling from all areas to go there.  Anyone who was at the last open should not be attending any race meetings yet, just to be on the safe side.  Does anyone not understand that?
i agee 100% :thumbsup:

lets just say everyone is not like me :- " and have had/got kc at the moment....i can honestly say NONE of my dogs are coughing but we all know the ARE STILL CARRIERS of kc :( and will be for another week or two :( :blink:

if i had not told everyone that my dogs have kc...i could of easily return to racing this week or next :eek: and nobody would of known my dogs have even been ill :eek:

but as i would hate to see any dog ill it was a natral reaction to me to let all my fellow racers know :thumbsup:

now i know, as does everyone else, that it is very unlikely that my dogs are the only dogs to have contracted kc at the andover open :eek: :( ....the fact that others have not let on if they have it can only mean they will be going back racing sooner than they should :rant:

and so the kc will continue :rant: ......all because one club are running a club meeting when everyone else has cancelled.

Last edited:
I just spent an hour reading lots of finding's by different research programmes that have been done and i found this :

Post-recovery shedding

Bordetella may be shed up to 3 months. Viral agents shed < 2 weeks Infectious risk is greatly reduced when dogs no longer have discharge or coughing.

Anyone with cats ?

Carrier state?

No. Cats may have subclinical infections and transmit disease to dogs.

:blink:

June Jonigk said:
GARY BALDOCK said:
I really hate to argue with you Gary my mate, but it's not areas that are infected - but dogs. There is no way of knowing that dogs that are coming to your track have not been in contact with Kennel Cough. Kennel Cough is rife in places where dogs meet and mix together - nothing to do with public areas. I think with you holding an open at your club in 2 weeks time, you owe it to the people who have entered to keep all of your club dogs away from each other to ensure that they are not incubating KC, before it is passed any further. I know you're saying none of you club dogs have it at the moment, but who is to say they have not mixed with other dogs that may have been in contact?

Just another week or so may save this going on for weeks and weeks, and possibly wiping out the season all together :thumbsup:

Just another point, my dogs had KC 2 years ago - if they had it again, I would not visit the vet, as having had it once, I know how to treat it - so just because you say they haven't had any cases reported (and I guess you didn't ring every vet in Kent :- " ) doesn't mean dogs don't have it. There are those in racing who would keep it quiet, so they can get back to the track, before their dogs have stopped shedding the virus - so in my opinion the only way to ensure KC doesn't keep spreading, is to postpone racing for another week or so.

This is just my opinion Gary, but I think it is shared by the majority - and certainly those who have had KC in their dogs, and know how heartbreaking it is to see them in such a state. Once there was a mention of KC, we decided to keep our dogs under wraps until it has passed over - our old girl would not survive another bout.

well put june :thumbsup:

Back