The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Kennel Cough

Sorry to hear this :(

Hope they all recover quickly :luck: :thumbsup:

Soooooooooo Sorry Julie & Sue. :( We hope the poor darlings have a very speedy recovery :wub: Have any of Jane's come down with it yet?

It sounds like there might be a few to come down with it yet from the Andover open. :(

naylorwhippets said:
Soooooooooo Sorry Julie & Sue. :( We hope the poor darlings have a very speedy recovery :wub: Have any of Jane's come down with it yet?It sounds like there might be a few to come down with it yet from the Andover open. :(

:oops: Just like to say well done to Julie & Sue for letting us all know, & I do hope others will follow in their footsteps!! :thumbsup:

naylorwhippets said:
Soooooooooo Sorry Julie & Sue. :( We hope the poor darlings have a very speedy recovery :wub: Have any of Jane's come down with it yet?It sounds like there might be a few to come down with it yet from the Andover open. :(

thanks diane all janes are fine at the moment no signs their :luck:

peppermint lady said:
naylorwhippets said:

thanks diane all janes are fine at the moment no signs their :luck:

Keeping fingers crossed for them all! :luck:

Oh No Not the Peppermints :eek: :huggles: Thanks for letting us know Sue and or Julie - I'm guessing Julie. Hope they are all over it soon. Obviously Smidge ran with Maddie last Sunday, so we will keep and eye on him - so far so good, but we won't rest until the end of next week. When our lot got it 2 years ago, Sweep was the first to go down with it, and it was 8 days after exposure - and all of them caught it from him. It's 8 days since Andover tomorrow - so we're on the alert :unsure:

Sending lots of love and good wishes to the Peppermints, for a speedy recovery - we know they will be receiving the best of care :huggles:

This waiting is horrid,every noise sends us into red alert :sweating: !!!!Keeping fingers,toes and all crossed for all the Whippets today (day eight) :luck: :luck: :luck:

What a shame Julie.

I have had the same experience as June, in that 8 days after exposure was when my two started showing symptoms. It is an absolute damn nuisance, but if yours are racing around, it sounds like a mild strain. The frothy blobs on the carpet are a joy! :x

A big well done for letting every-one know, it does make it easier if people are honest, and can help to identify risk. I am sure there will be some more cases out there, we may or may not hear about it, but it is good to be vigilant.

Hope those pups are back on the circuit before too long :luck:

finalez said:
This waiting is horrid,every noise sends us into red alert :sweating: !!!!Keeping fingers,toes and all crossed for all the Whippets today (day eight) :luck:   :luck:   :luck:
We're the same here Lesley :unsure: so far so good, but as you say waiting for any noise :sweating: All six are asleep at the moment, but I almost want to keep waking them to check :wacko:

:huggles: thanks everyone i really do hope your all in the clear,although i find it difficult to believe that ours will be the only case :unsure: as joanna said it more if others are honest about it :- "

maddie is poorly today and looking very depressed :( she slept in with me last night, as she wouldnt settle away from me :huggles:

smudge doesnt seem to be to bad and nor dottie, flo hasnt coughed since yesterday and lolly has no signs so far :wacko: :wacko: grace is not leaving me so many presents on the carpet :x :x so fingers crossed all of them will soon stop coughing and feel better in them selfs :thumbsup:

well the vet has just called me :thumbsup: they should stop coughing by the weekend :sweating: and while they are coughing is the main time they are a risk to other dogs :wacko: so all being well 2/3 weeks after that they will be fine :thumbsup:

we will then stay away from the track for an extra couple af week, and hope to return to club racing after the june champs :thumbsup:

he thinks lolly will probaly have her own immunnity to kc as she has no signs, and lolly is the mother hen that cleans everyone up so has more contact with all the others :huggles:

i am also going to have them all treated next year against kc via a spray up their nose that will cover them for the open season

this cost around 25 pound per dog but money well spent imo :thumbsup: as i hate seeing them all unwell :thumbsup:

Last edited:
peppermint lady said:
well the vet has just called me :thumbsup:   they should stop coughing by the weekend :sweating:   and while they are coughing is the main time they are a risk to other dogs :wacko:   so all being well 2/3 weeks after that they will be fine :thumbsup: we will then stay away from the track for an extra couple af week, and hope to return to club racing after the june champs :thumbsup:

he thinks lolly will probaly have her own immunnity to kc as she has no signs, and lolly is the mother hen that cleans everyone up so has more contact with all the others :huggles:

i am also going to have them all treated next year against kc via a spray up their nose that will cover them for the open season

this cost around 25 pound per dog but money well spent imo  :thumbsup: as i hate seeing them all unwell :thumbsup:

Bad luck Pepperminties! Sorry to hear about your KC. Hope all the dogs get well soon. Thinking of you. Ron. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

We had the spray done Julie last time, and it did prevent it, it was well worth the money :thumbsup:

My Sidney had the spray but he still got kennel cough a couple of years back :(

It does not always prevent them from getting it because there are different strains

But saying that mine have been sprayed again this year

Hope all whippies that get the cough recover soon :huggles:

I've never wanted my dogs to have the Intrac Kennel Cough vaccine, as when I worked in a vets, sometimes the dogs actually got Kennel Cough from the vaccine. It only protects against Bordatella Bronchiseptica, which is just one of the many strains of Kennel Cough, so I've never thought it worth doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
just looked at both vaccines nobivac Kc and and Intrac both state they "Reduce" clinical sign etc

Nobivac-

Active immunisation of dogs against Bordetella bronchiseptica and canine parainfluenza virus for periods of increased risk; to reduce clinical signs induced by B. bronchiseptica and canine parainfluenza virus and to reduce shedding of canine parainfluenza virus. Reduction of shedding of B. bronchiseptica has been shown from 3 months after vaccination.

Onset of immunity against Bordetella bronchiseptica has been demonstrated 72 hours after vaccination, and against canine parainfluenza virus three weeks after vaccination.

Duration of immunity: 1 year.

Intrac -

For the active immunisation of dogs to reduce clinical signs of tracheobronchitis (Kennel Cough) caused by B. bronchiseptica. Onset of protection can be expected within 3-5 days of administration of the initial dose and duration of immunity is at least six months from initial vaccination

well hope the peppermints get better soon as i am staying away from my coffee morning as so far none of mine show any signs but its a waiting game im now on day 8 aswell good luck to all the other lets hope we can get rid of this virus as quick as possible and lets have honesty :thumbsup:

springfield said:
:luck:   :luck:   :luck: Get well soon dogs,Good on you for letting people know. :)   :)   :) Seemed to happen similar time last year I think :nuke:
some body told us that this started at the champs ?

squizzle racing said:
springfield said:
:luck:   :luck:   :luck: Get well soon dogs,Good on you for letting people know. :)   :)   :) Seemed to happen similar time last year I think :nuke:

ive been told that it started at the champs :wacko: , but the time since the champs is to long for our dogs, :unsure: so ours 100% picked it up from someone at the andover open :(

peppermint lady said:
squizzle racing said:
springfield said:

ive been told that it started at the champs :wacko: , but the time since the champs is to long for our dogs, :unsure: so ours 100% picked it up from someone at the andover open :(

THAT MEANS THAT SOME ONE FROM THE CHAMPS TOOK IT TO ANDOVER .

THEY DID NOT GIVE TWO HOOTS ABOUT OTHER DOGS .JUST TO GET THE POINTS

DONT FORGET THATS 8 DAYS AFTER THE CHAMPS :rant:

Back