The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Is One Whippet Enough ?

weedug

Registered
Reaction score
We are really happy with our pup and can't help but notice how much fun he has when our friends visit with their whippet pup (two weeks older)and the pups run loose in the fields.

Conversely, he also likes the fact he is quite spoiled.

I can think of both pro's and cons to getting him a playmate;

I appreciate that his behaviour will inevetably change if he has company, but has anyone experienced a change for the worse ?.

He is 4 1/2 months old now so if we do get another one we were thinking that sooner would be better than later but again would appreciate any advice on the timing.

Thanks !.

View attachment 21550

You could get another whippet any time you like . Wether it be when hes still a baby puppy or older , They do so love company , Personnally I would wait till hes a bit older , maybe 12-18 months , If you only intend to keep to 2 Whippets that is

:- "

In my personnal experiance two pups are 10 times more naughty than 1 pup :huggles:

Trust me , I know , I currently have 2 ,19 weeks holigans plus others :wacko: o:)

But hey , dont let me put you off :huggles:

Yes...the concensus would be that two (three, four etc) whippets are better than one. Opinions differ as to when to add that second whippet. General advice seems to be stick to the same sex of whippet, unless you are prepared for some juggling and separating later on.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :luck:

Love your current whippet. Blue masked fawns are a particular favourite of mine. :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Q Is one whippet enough?

A [SIZE=14pt]YES[/SIZE]

Dare I post this

well i have 3 of em !!!! 21/2 yrs old .. 8 months old and 11 weeks old .. no problems what so ever !!!

very naughty , chaotic moments (w00t)

but im very happy with mine and wouldnt change em for the world .

its personal choice , if you want another then go for it :luck:

I believe it's pretty similar to having kids,if you've got the time and space have another.We had Jack and got Tom earlier this year and would'nt change it for the world now.If your thinking about it your gonna get one,good luck :rolleyes:

Hi there weedug thats a gorgeous wee dug you've got there :lol: Where abouts in east ayrshire are you

I have 7 three are 9months litter mates 4 are 3 years and over plus 1 noisy crazy greyhound that thinks its a whippet he's not very intelligent :oops: We have a mad half hour then they settle down and sleep

One thing is make sure you have enough chairs else you'll end up sitting on the floor

Sorry did I say 7 whippets it will be 8 next week when Toby arrives :- "

If they are pets then I would wait and get another of the same sex when this one is perhaps a year or 18mths. If you have two puppies they never seem to grow up and always seem to be play fighting or wreaking something. Ive had Whippets for years and years (w00t) and always dread running on two pups from a litter.

Your dog will be a MUCH happier little person with ANY other dog to snuggle down with, especially as he gets older.

that is a gorgeous picture of your whippet :wub: I have 2 whippets now but have previously owned just one. Two is more work - but it is really nice as they do have each other for company where you are not around them.

I waited till Oscar was around 8 months before deciding to get another one - they are double the work - but worth it (most of the time) :lol: :lol:

:luck: One whippet is never enuff, here is half of mine :) lots_011.jpg

My first answer was last evening when he had just chewed a TK Maxx receipt and I had to go back to the shop with trousers that didn't fit and receipt in lots of little bits and the assistant said the receipt was incomplete, so I said if she waited until today I could probably go back with the missing bit (think my humour was lost on her).

Today we have just returned from a fantastic walk in the woods and I couldn't help thinking how he would have enjoyed the company of a best mate so my answer today would probably be

Q Is one whipppet enough

A Perhaps one and a little one.

Jenny

:D When i only had 1 she always looked a little lost and sad on her own :(

So when she was about 8 months i went and got her a friend :huggles:

Have had many a great time watching them play, cuddle up together on the sofa :huggles:

Now i have 5 (w00t)

Never looked back we love them, its great fun :teehee:

Can be hard work sometimes,When they all decide its play time in your living room (w00t)

Hi There,

Ten was an only dog for a good year & a half - we thought for a long time about getting another dog but were very uncertain how things would work out - if tens nose would be pushed out of joint etc...

How stupid i was to wonder! (w00t) , we got Blue a six month old whippie through K9 and they are now inseperable. They play & snuggle together all day long!

I felt guilty for not getting Ten a brother sooner - all that fun he missed out on in his younger months! :b

I don't think having blue is any extra work ( that might be different if i had another one or two or.... :p ), they do everything together - eat sleep walk etc so our routine didn't have to change. There is the matter of having to dish out twice the love & cuddles - but you get twice as much back! :wub:

It is true - One whippet is never enough! :thumbsup:

Moo :D

hugs.JPG

Thanks for the advice; its appreciated.

As many have suggested, its putting his 'nose out of joint' thats the biggest concern, as when I say he's spoiled, he's spoiled :D

buddy_fire6.jpg

One whippet is definitely not enough! Eli has been on his own 18mths, since our little Piper went to heaven :( and it's high time we found another! They love the company of other whippets, and you get twice (three times, four times....!) the love & fun. If you think you can manage another, go for it, you'll know when the

time's right :))

Eli_in_bed.jpg Mummy,pleeease find me a new friend :wub:

i have three whippets harvey 18 months lola 13 months and little mini is 12 weeks old . mini has settled in very well and i have no trouble i wont say its not hard work because it is but well worth it and i wouldnt change it for the world

quintessence said:
Q  Is one whippet enough?

A    [SIZE=14pt]YES[/SIZE]

Dare I post this

[SIZE=21pt]Ignore the above reply*[/SIZE] :- " :- " :- " :oops: :- " :- " :- "

[SIZE=14pt]Everyone is entitled to their own opinion even if they are WRONG[/SIZE]

:blink: :blink: :teehee: :teehee: :- " :- "

[SIZE=13pt]it is your own decision and you have done right by asking those who post on here. Both myself & Richard have had whippets since early childhood (almost 20 years now) :clown: and would not have a singleton. However it is a personal choice. We currently have 3 & a 1/2 pairs of litetr sisters and agree with earlier comments that it takes longer for dogs of the same age brought up together to 'grow-up'. But it is easir, in many ways, as they do play with each other and help exercise each other when out. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=15pt]There are pro's and con's, as in all things, and [/SIZE][SIZE=22pt]quintessence's[/SIZE] [SIZE=15pt]comments are as valid as anyone else's as we all base our responses on our own experience / knowledge. [/SIZE]

JAX has as much experience as (almost) anyone on this board (in many things in addition to whippets) and is usually worth listening to (usually it is difficult to NOT listen) but even she doesn't know it all

[SIZE=14pt]Take advice from the posts and talking to people, eg the breeder of your dog, and make your own decision. You are clearly considering a second (3rd 4th 5th ............) and have done right by asking. IMNHO keep to the same sex.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]*Only joking - quintessence's view is as valid as any other :D [/SIZE]

dawn said:
quintessence said:
Q   Is one whippet enough?

A    [SIZE=14pt]YES[/SIZE]

Dare I post this

[SIZE=21pt]Ignore the above reply*[/SIZE] :- " :- " :- " :oops: :- " :- " :- "

[SIZE=14pt]Everyone is entitled to their own opinion even if they are WRONG[/SIZE]

:blink: :blink: :teehee: :teehee: :- " :- "

[SIZE=13pt]it is your own decision and you have done right by asking those who post on here. Both myself & Richard have had whippets since early childhood (almost 20 years now[/SIZE]) :clown: and would not have a singleton. However it is a personal choice. We currently have 3 & a 1/2 pairs of litetr sisters and agree with earlier comments that it takes longer for dogs of the same age brought up together to 'grow-up'. But it is easir, in many ways, as they do play with each other and help exercise each other when out.

[SIZE=15pt]There are pro's and con's, as in all things, and [/SIZE][SIZE=22pt]quintessence's[/SIZE] [SIZE=15pt]comments are as valid as anyone else's as we all base our responses on our own experience / knowledge. [/SIZE]

JAX has as much experience as (almost) anyone on this board (in many things in addition to whippets) and is usually worth listening to (usually it is difficult to NOT listen) but even she doesn't know it all

[SIZE=14pt]Take advice from the posts and talking to people, eg the breeder of your dog, and make your own decision. You are clearly considering a second (3rd 4th 5th ............) and have done right by asking. IMNHO keep to the same sex.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]*Only joking - quintessence's view is as valid as any other :D [/SIZE]

[SIZE=21pt]since early childhood (almost 20 years now)[/SIZE]

Whose she trying to kid !!!!!!!!! :oops: more like 40 + :huggles:

You hoping we would MISS that Dawn,

Where you born middle aged (w00t)

I must admit sometimes, not very often but sometimes I think it must be quite nice to have two or three. Usually when Im having a slice of toast and there are 8 pairs of eyes looking for a bit :unsure:

Back