The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Is Ernie A Whippet ?

Martin Tucker said:
I`ve had a long hard think about the next show on the 5th August and have decided if there is a Whippet Racing section at it, then I SHALL RUN Ernie in it, unless it is announced that it is purely for KC Registered Whippets, to be honest I don`t know why they should be so specific ? Why should he be discriminated against because somebody doesn`t fancy running against him ! Far as i`m concerned, he is a Racing Whippet, not a show Whippet and certainly not a Lurcher ! They are all Whippets, Show or Racing, just bred for different purposes. He also has a pedigree that can be fully traced back for generations ! Good enough in my book !
The same could be said for Miss Torri but each to their own I suppose.

Personally I think the only time a non-ped should be running against a peddy is when it's training as a pup, my 4 peds have spent 4 years training non-ped pups to pass (50% race and 50% show breeding in their lineage) They've trained every dog running at the Gin Pit and they are training pups now and every one has passed them easily even the slowest of non-peds. You may well think that my peds are particularly slow but they have raced competitively against racing bred, open class peddys in weight handicaps and won.

Like I've said each to their own Martin but I do think Ernie could give the lurchers a run for their money. :thumbsup:

Non ped racing whippets are so different from KC registered dogs as to be considered a distinct "breed" in their own right. So yes Ernie is a whippet but it isn't the type of whippet most show/racing classes mean.

Nor would I consider them to be lurchers and neither would Walsh or Plummer - but what would they know ;) . Ernie is hardly a cross of any type being 3 generations non ped whippet bred in any case. However it would be silly to suggest a non ped can't fulfill the roles of a lurcher. You can use a Ferrari as a taxi but you wouldn't.

Racing non ped whippets against other breed types ( with the exception of ghds who are hardly likely to make any handicap in any case) is IMO pointless. If they beat KC type whippets so what? As Jac says we use her KC whippets to train against and our smaller , lighter 9mth old pups beat them so using an adult non ped against KC registerd types can only mean one result. really the same goes for racing non peds against lurchers

I guess it depends on your view of racing; if winning by any means is most important then by all means race against less able competitors. If you want an actual competition then you need to run against dogs of a similar type.

yours in sport

Tony

Tony Taylor said:
You can use a Ferrari as a taxi but you wouldn't.
Tony

It would be illegal unless it had a psv certificate and i'm not too sure it would pass a psv test due to the number of passengers it can, take depending on the model (w00t) :lol: :D

Have pressed the add reply button Martin :lol:

With respect Tony,the fact that there is no non ped racing in Ireland means that unless Martin races with peds and lurchers then Ernie will be unable to race.Also the fact that there is no handicapping,means that non peds could possibly lose any advantage.For example if Ernie is over 21" then he will be off scratch with dogs that could weigh anything up to 45lb or perhaps a little more.The final point I would like to say is alot of non ped bred dogs race with 'lurchers'alot of dogs that don't make the grade for whatever reason size,speed, go on to lurcher race.Not always with success.Also dogs that have made the grade in non ped racing have also raced with lurchers. :- " LURCHER is a type of dog.The use of a lurcher is to fill the pot,think we all agree on that.I believe a non ped could fill a pot aswell :D Karen

`if winning by any means is most important`

I think your missing the point Tony ! Sounds like you think I must win at all costs !Why should I not run him against Whippets ? He`s is the same size and weight as his so called `Pedigree` cousins and if it`s just classed as a Whippet class then I think he should run.

I never mind getting beat, as in the Greyhound World you are beaten more than you win ! If you think he should run yard/lb in the true racing way against the heavier dogs then I`m all for that ! :D Don`t think Rose would fancy her girl giving him 15 yards of a start over 200 yards !

Running against the heavier and bigger dogs, it`s him that is at a distinct disadvantage, but i`ll have no problem running against them when he has to.

I`m only looking for a day out with my young lad and a bit of fun with the dog. Might arrange a run with Rose`s girl some time as the time he ran against her he hadn`t a clue what was going on and she was a bit `street wise` for him at the start !

He still has to run and win yet and the manner in which the racing is run (handslips and the hare starting 15 yards in front of them and driven at 60mph, with screaming dogs all lined up alongside the start, they should all be behind ! !)there are no certainties, but if he did, then I would love to see how he would fare in a run off against the other Group winners !

Off to the English Derby Final at Wimbledon now, so will look forward to the replies when I get back Sunday night !

DEFINITLEY in Sport !

Martin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back