The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Improving the breed.

I have heard that you aren't that interested on selling whippets outside GB?! Especially high quality ones to a country like Finland, most people think that there is always snow in here and polar bears are running in the middle of our capital Helsinki. :D

Only imports to Finland from GB have been Peperone-whippets, if you don't count old Nevedith Xray, and Tommy (Nevedith Veefa Vesper) who was here for a little while.

But if dessie's Ronan is having puppies with a lovely bitch I would be happy to have one of those puppies. ;) :p :wub:

There you go Caroline, sold you a puppy and you havent even done the mating yet !! :thumbsup:

Nightvision said:
We have even more difficult in Finland than Henrik has in Sweden. Well actually, at this point we have most of the lines Swedish have, but we can see the influense of Henrik's Play A While at Peperone even more clearly in Finland. There aren't many breeders who doesn't have him somewhere in their lines, and some breeders base almost their whole breeding to him.
Hi again!

This is also another problem with stud dogs (and brood bitches). Even if they don't produce many litters, they can still have a very strong inlfuence on the breed, like my Play A While at Peperone. I think he only produced three litters in Finland and I exported one bitch by him to Finland, but still he is behind so many of the Finnish whippets. I was told that one of the most influential Saluki dogs ever in the US only produced three litters out of bitches that the owners picked very carefully. So if a dog/bitch in a few litters produces nice sons and daughters that are heavliy used a dog/bitch can have a very strong influence on the breed in a specific country. Siobhan of Hillsdown is a goood example in the UK I think.

I have a program in my computer that is connected to all the information at the Swedish kennel club and through this proghram I can see exacly how many puppies a dog/bitch has produced and who they were bred to. I can also tell the program to list how many grand children a certain dog has produced. Quite interesting!!

Henrik Härling

:D I'm finding this a very intresting topic. Being very new in whippets I'm only just getting to know what type of whippet takes my eye. In my first two litters out of a Chapliegh bitch, I didn't get what I was hoping for, even though the two sires were of differant types. :oops: But my most recent litter out of my half french bitch bred by Dessie to her Ronan are just what I am after. :wub:

Now the next bitch I want to mate is Lucy (Talk of the town with Buebezi) Lucys ped

As you can see by her pedigree she is an out cross, but her father, my Fullerton dog is very tightly bred. (won his Stud Book number at Crufts 2002) She has done very well in the show ring but where do I take her ? I would be very intrested to hear where other breeders on here would consider going. :thumbsup:

We would go back to Rob Bailey and use either Heavenly Mover or Dream Mover. HM is the son of DM.

fullerton whippets

It all depends how close you want to get and where you aim to go next time.

Dawn

I personally do not have a problem with out crossing completely.

I would avoid in-breeding,apart from fixing my line, but I would want a whippet stud dog to compliment my bitch,firstly temperment and secondly confirmation.

I haven't travelled to see whippy's 'in the flesh',in other countries,but if I saw a possible stud dog who was abroad,I wouldn't rule the dog out just because it wasn't in this country.

Before you all start lecturing me, on the benefits of line breeding :) ,I am well aware of the advantages and disadvantages,my chosen stud dog for Blob actually does have a match in their lines,but this was not my reason for choosing him.If there was not one single match, I would still use him.

I also think that we have some excellent whippy's, in pet homes in this country who never go to a dog show in their life.There are some fantastic dogs and bitches out there,it is just harder to track them down :( ........so hard you give up or go :wacko: .

Lyd

Millie said:
Now the next bitch I want to mate is Lucy (Talk of the town with Buebezi) As you can see by her pedigree she is an out cross, but her father, my Fullerton dog is very tightly bred. (won his Stud Book number at Crufts 2002) She has done very well in the show ring but where do I take her ? I would be very intrested to hear where other breeders on here would consider going.  :thumbsup:
I would find the dog in her pedigree that I admire the most and choose a stud dog for her that (a) has that dog also in his pedigree. (b) compliments her in type and © has qualities that she lacks.

OR

I would chose a dog that has (b) and © but is a total outcross to her but tightly line bred himself. :D

I would ask Dessie for TJ! You like your babies with a little bit of French in them... and he has 3 lines back to Hillsdown Mollie (Oakbark Middleman x Siobhan of Hillsdown) and a bonus line back to Carmodian Tawny Knight of Hutaka - which for me spells a nice and connected pedigree without being too close :p

Just curious, what is behind her on moms side. The names tell me nothing as they are unknown to me.

Just my opinion of course :">

Last edited by a moderator:
Ronan ties in through Justa Jesta and Carmodian Tawny Knight.

Interesting that racing line in your girl.

:D Some very intresting views........ much along the lines I was thinking.

Going the French way may work as it would then tie in with my latest litter.

Malin this is as much as I have got of Lucy mums ped, alot is racing lines, so maybe someone on here maybe be able to extend on it.

Pedigree Of Gentle Lady

Sex: Bitch

+--

+--

| +--

+--

| | +--

| +--

| +--

+-- Casaldma Sea Pideon, , , Whippet

| | +--

| | +--

| | | +--

| +--

| | +--

| +--

| +--

+-- Jolly Promise, , , Whippet

| | +--

| | +--

| | | +--

| | +--

| | | | +--

| | | +--

| | | +--

| +-- Papedaro Caniella, , , Whippet

| | +--

| | +--

| | | +--

| +--

| | +--

| +--

| +--

+-- Mississippi Jim, , , Whippet

| | +--

| | +--

| | | +--

| | +--

| | | | +--

| | | +--

| | | +--

| | +-- Charlies Pride, , , Whippet

| | | | +--

| | | | +--

| | | | | +--

| | | +--

| | | | +--

| | | +--

| | | +--

| +-- One Flew Over, , , Whippet

| | +--

| | +--

| | | +--

| | +--

| | | | +--

| | | +--

| | | +--

| +-- Crazy Horse, , , Whippet

| | +--

| | +--

| | | +--

| +--

| | +--

| +--

| +--

+-- Gentle Lady, Bitch, , , Whippet

| +--

| +--

| | +--

| +--

| | | +--

| | +--

| | +--

| +-- Stormalong Manhatten, , , Whippet

| | | +--

| | | +--

| | | | +--

| | +--

| | | +--

| | +--

| | +--

| +-- Pied Piper to Chardum, , , Whippet

| | | +--

| | | +--

| | | | +--

| | | +--

| | | | | +--

| | | | +--

| | | | +--

| | +-- Stormalong Nightnurse, , , Whippet

| | | +--

| | | +--

| | | | +--

| | +--

| | | +--

| | +--

| | +--

+-- Chardum Mistletoe 'n' Wine, , , Whippet

| +--

| +--

| | +--

| +-- CH Black Knight of Carmodian, , ,

| | | +--

| | +--

| | +--

| +-- CH Carmodian Tawny Knight of Hutaka, , , Whippet

| | | +--

| | | +--

| | | | +--

| | +-- Allgarth Countess Penelope, , ,

| | | +--

| | +--

| | +--

+-- Warrenco Touch of Gold at Chardum, , , Whippet

| +--

| +--

| | +--

| +--

| | | +--

| | +--

| | +--

+-- Openview Good as Gold, , , Whippet

| +--

| +--

| | +--

+--

| +--

+--

+--

----

:D Thankyou for that BJ, can update my database now :cheers:

Nightvision said:
I have heard that you aren't that interested on selling whippets outside GB?! Especially high quality ones to a country like Finland, most people think that there is always snow in here and polar bears are running in the middle of our capital Helsinki. :D
Only imports to Finland from GB have been Peperone-whippets, if you don't count old Nevedith Xray, and Tommy (Nevedith Veefa Vesper) who was here for a little while.

But if dessie's Ronan is having puppies with a lovely bitch I would be happy to have one of those puppies.  ;)   :p   :wub:
'll bear that in mind Minna!!! I am not averse to selling abroad but I would only sell something that I thought was good enough (i.e. that I would keep myself). I let the pick of Dessie's first litter go to Norway and he is now a Champion. His owner wanted one of the bitches (the one I ran on) but I felt the dog was better, I let the bitch go at 6 months because I considered she was no better than her dam. She was shown (although I primarily sold her as a pet) and gained her stud book no, as did her litter sister. So not a bad result all round!!

Of course, if I was made of sterner stuff I would offer you Ronan on loan for a year or so but I couldn't bear to part with my best boy like that and really cannot understand people that do!!! Mine are pets first and foremost and share my home comforts and, of course, no-one would look after them like I do. I could have cried when Jackie Bourdin handed TJ over to me, I know she struggled not to, and I am sure he was very sad and missed his Mum for a while. Dogs that trip off round the world must wonder what on earth is happening to them and why the people they love suddenly send them away. I know that is probably sounding a trifle anthropomorphic but we do expect dogs to live as family (well, most of us do, perhaps different for kennel dogs but then I wouldn't want to keep dogs like that!) and they do have feelings.

Just my opinion and I will get off my soap box now!! LOL

dessie said:
Dogs that trip off round the world must wonder what on earth is happening to them and why the people they love suddenly send them away.  I know that is probably sounding a trifle anthropomorphic but we do expect dogs to live as family (well, most of us do, perhaps different for kennel dogs but then I wouldn't want to keep dogs like that!) and they do have feelings.
Just my opinion and I will get off my soap box now!!  LOL
Could'nt agree more. No foreign title would mean so much to me that I could let any of mine be sent from pillar to post. As you say perhaps we flatter ourselves that the dogs would pine but I know Rory and Frodo would be really sad for ages.

we do expect dogs to live as family (well, most of us do, perhaps different for kennel dogs but then I wouldn't want to keep dogs like that!) and they do have feelings.
Having kept dogs both in the house (and yes they did sleep in bed with me) and kennelled I know which I and IMO the dogs prefer.

The kennel is THEIR space.

When I had Aphrael Sceolan MacCummhail (Tyson) he was the first dog I ever kennelled along with Jesse and I worried like mad for the first few weeks but having been away on holiday in a caravan with the dogs we arrived back and was unpacking the car and I said to my first husband "wheres Tyson?". I searched the house from top to bottom I had all the kids on the street looking for him. As a last resort I looked in the kennel down the garden, there he was on his back, legs in the air, on his bed fast asleep. He stayed there for 3hours and then saunted into the house. Jesse who was just a pup wondered where he had been.

I never worried again. He made me realise 'a mans home is his castle', 'a dogs kennel is his castle.'

The dogs have a routine and if you are late putting them to bed they are scratching at the back door to go on their bed in the kennel.

Just because they are kennelled DOES NOT mean they are any lessed loved or any less part of the family!

dessie said:
Of course, if I was made of sterner stuff I would offer you Ronan on loan for a year or so but I couldn't bear to part with my best boy like that and really cannot understand people that do!!!  Mine are pets first and foremost and share my home comforts and, of course, no-one would look after them like I do.  I could have cried when Jackie Bourdin handed TJ over to me, I know she struggled not to, and I am sure he was very sad and missed his Mum for a while.  Dogs that trip off round the world must wonder what on earth is happening to them and why the people they love suddenly send them away.  I know that is probably sounding a trifle anthropomorphic but we do expect dogs to live as family (well, most of us do, perhaps different for kennel dogs but then I wouldn't want to keep dogs like that!) and they do have feelings.
Just my opinion and I will get off my soap box now!!  LOL
I understand you completely!! My whippets are pets, they sleep in my bed and I spend all my time with them :) I can't even imagine how it would be to spend a year apart from them. It has been hard for me to give up two of my oldest males because they were too difficult to keep together with bitches. They are now both living a happy life in the coutry side with my parents and my parents-in-law. And I'm even crying when puppies are leaving to their own homes... Soon my babies will leave me, luckily atleast tree of them are staying in the same city where I live.

But keep me in mind if Ronan is having a nice litter in the future. ;)

Years ago A Swedish lady wanted pups by Badger (Peperone Passat) as he was 11 yrs old his seman didnt travel and no pups were borm :( Desparate for his pups she asked if he could go over to stay , even as Iread the letter tears welled in my eyes at the thought of him going , :( My answer was obviously negative and she has since used one of his offspring :D

If fact it might be from the dog that Carolinee sent over from Dessie x Badger mating.

I agree with Dawn , my dogs love going down the kennels at night , never once do I have to ask them to go , they are all ready and waiting (apart from Mayzee who sleeps on the landing ) :wub: :wub:

Nobody could love their dogs more than I do , o:)

I agree with Dawn , my dogs love going down the kennels at night , never once do I have to ask them to go ,  Nobody could love their dogs more than I do
It annoys me when people jump to conclusions about dogs that live in a kennel!

We love them just as much as any who have them in the house all the time.

During the day our dogs are free to come and go as they please and often choose to go into the kennel just for a little time on their own.

Just because they dont sleep in our beds doesnt mean we dont love and treasure them.

We all try to do the best by our dogs.

dessie said:
I let the bitch go at 6 months because I considered she was no better than her dam.  -----------

Mine are pets first and foremost and share my home comforts and, of course, no-one would look after them like I do. 

-----------

well, most of us do, perhaps different for kennel dogs but then I wouldn't want to keep dogs like that!) and they do have feelings.
Sorry to "but in"

I personally prefer to keep some in kennels where they have more room so that i dont feel i have to part with the ones that aren't quite up to scratch.

Back