The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

How Far Do You Go???

rob67 said:
DENISE BAILEY said:
rob67 said:
I'm curious to know as to how far people are willing to go..................(or how far do the rules dictate you can go) to encourage their dogs (or sometimes friends dogs) whilst in the traps, or to encourage them as they are racing up the track? Having seen various ways of people keeping their dogs attention in the trap.............which includes clapping, waving something etc I'm curious as to what effect that has on the other dogs in the race( I personally dont think it's fair) and if it has always been the case that it was allowed. Speaking for myself, I know I imitate a fishwife up the track :D   (w00t) but I dont think that puts other dogs off! Anybody who has been in racing long enough to remember the good old days and what happened then?

chris

People standing at the traps clapping, waving something etc has been happening as long as i have raced.

To me its all part of the excitement of racing our dogs, and most dogs are brought up around the race tracks .... i would say they get used to the racers / racing noises from a young age

I think its sad and wrong to say people are intending on distracting dogs at the traps delibratley...as has been mentioned on in this topic by a few

Sorry Dee. I think there are people that do go over the top and are unsportsmanlike, dont think it's wrong to say it if it's an opinion, I havent been in racing for that long, but I think it's something that does go on in the minority. I dont think there is anything wrong in shouting for your dog, it's the other windmill like actions and olympic style clapping etc at the traps that I find crap.

chris

i agree chris some go over board with clapping and windmilling :D

Have to say I think it's improved a lot on the bends, specifically the home straight. :thumbsup:

The amount of people you used to see past the railings, down at the side of the low wall leaning and waving their arms over the hare rail shouting the dogs. Again purely down to a safety issue, what if there's a wide runner at the back that the "waver" doesn't spot as they're looking the other way screaming on the dog. Would we feel sorrier for the persons broken arm or the dogs broken neck ? (not to mention if they got their arm caught in the lure as it whizzed past).

any distraction to any dog at the traps is bad and should not be tolerated but for going up the track and shouting your dog its always been done for as long as ive known and it,s part of the excitement and adds to the atmophere of our sport. I always shout ben up the track when hes racing it might not help him but it helps me, and i enjoy it but for distracting the dogs by whistles waving things about at the traps should not be allowed under any circumstances and on this point i totally agree with you rob

jeffb said:
any distraction to any dog at the traps is bad and should not be tolerated but for going up the track and shouting your dog its always been  done for as long as ive known and it,s part of the excitement and adds to the atmophere of our sport. I always shout ben up the track when hes racing it might not help him but it helps me, and i enjoy it but for distracting the dogs by whistles waving things about at the traps should not be allowed under any circumstances and on this point i totally agree with you rob
Agree :thumbsup: -going up the track is acceptable and at the end too-

Can I ask? Where's the logic in windmilling your arms around at the traps? :blink:

For one it must distract your own dog, let alone everyone elses. Plus there's the minor issue of looking like a tit! :lol:

windmilling.............

looks environmentally cool though maybe?

If your dog can run and its well trained no amount of shouting, waving bags or other such gimmicks will put it off. It will be used to this and react as it does on every race day so other peoples tricks will encourage your dogs as well

They will react to all things around them it wont matter who is making whatever noise whos dog is not ready and knows what to do when the lid shoots up will eventually learn.

If the dogs are focused as most of them are they will hear very little and react to movement, just stand at the boxes and watch the eyes and the consentration its inbread in them.

Me I walk up the track whistle a couple of times and then if all else fails I just shout DINNER

dogs all have different charecters just like people .some are easily distracted,some-are as thick as two short planks and would.nt know a distraction if it happened under their nose. however most dogs are naturally curios and will be distracted ,however well they are trained/

judith

p.s you don.t know what effort went into typing this with one finger :b :p :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Was there anyone impersonating a windmill today then ? lol

Karen-Coral said:
windmilling.............
looks environmentally cool though maybe?

Can someone please tell me wot windmilling is and wot does it look like cos i dont think ive ever seen it lol sue

Don't think "windmilling" or clapping / shouting comes anything close to someone turning the yardage marker over so you get less start in a classic final :- "

Vicky said:
Don't think "windmilling" or clapping / shouting comes anything close to someone turning the yardage marker over so you get less start in a classic final  :- "
I've been in one of these races, not a classic final admittedly but the back 2 dogs ran at 2ft/lb and the rest ran at 4ft/lb :- " (when I mentioned it was wrong whilst the owners were walking down the track was told to "just f**k off")

I believe "windmilling" is considered the waving or holding of ones arm over the side of the track as a method of getting/holding the dogs attention whilst it is in the trap. Some hold their arm out for the dogs attention the flap it down and up like a flag when the lure moves off.

Hence I am sure why Chris was querying this, the dogs instinct is to chase a moving object and I'm sure we've all seen dogs slow up or get distracted by paper blowing onto the track or even stopping for a rabbit they spot on the bends. An object moving closer to them will hold their attention more than an object moving away from them hence dogs getting distracted in the traps as they're watching this movement (an arm, or a head or a finger constantly moving down to point then back up again) wafting around near the trap rather than the lure moving away from them. It's probably not the shouting as much as the movement, yes we school them to chase the lure etc. but their INSTINCT tells them that they can catch this object closer to their trap so they concentrate on that instead, the owners dog might understand that a waving arm means get ready to chase the lure but other dogs will not, they will concentrate on the arm, miss the lure go, and miss the break giving the other dogs the advantage.

Cheating ? You decide !!!

whatsupdoc.jpg

Was it one like this Fleesh, if so I think its a case for this chap

thbugspwned3wf.gif

Well said Fleesh, i agree with everything you said.

Another way of distracting other peoples dogs is by clapping your hands as the traps open, your dogs are used to it but your. opponents dogs are not and are distracted by these actions made by unsporting owners. Whether this is done on purpose to unsettle the other dogs is questionable, although some owners will go to any lengths to gain an unfair advantage.

So whats the answer then? ALL dogs put into the traps at the same time (as i believe is whats meant to happen) then walk away to a marker about 25yds down field and then be allowed your calling methods, no one allowed around the trap area as again is what happens at some meetings if trap area is cordonned off. ALL tracks double taped so owners, cheering friends cannot get close enough to distract other dogs, tracks marked so owners cannot walk in front of others allowing their own animals to loose site of them as i beleive some people like to do this thinking its puts off dogs, everyone to walk down track at same speed hence not leaving anyones dog in longer than it may like :- " :- " we could go on and on. Occasionally yes i think people may do things that we don't like and we may feel is a detriment to our own dog but surely common sense should prevail with whom ever is in charge either at the traps or if further down track if someone is doing something over the top then lets ask them not too i'm sure they will oblige or at the worst give us a smack in the mouth :eek: I would like to think these happenings are more people trying to keep their own dogs calm or encouragement rather than purposely being done to distract others. Lets face it most of us are a loud bunch who race our dogs and think alot of it is just weekend therapy for us letting out the stress where else do we get the chance to YELL as we do (well not me personally me being the quiet calm type !!! no one was at Scot Derby or Bend champs this year i'm sure i was calm wasn't i ??? :oops: ) Sorry typing fingers carried away again :(

'Happy racing folks!'

sadieandco said:
So whats the answer then? ALL dogs put into the traps at the same time (as i believe is whats meant to happen) then walk away to a marker about 25yds down field and then be allowed your calling methods, no one allowed around the trap area as again is what happens at some meetings if trap area is cordonned off.  ALL tracks double taped so owners, cheering friends cannot get close enough to distract other dogs, tracks marked so owners cannot walk in front of others allowing their own animals to loose site of them as i beleive some people like to do this thinking its puts off dogs, everyone to walk down track at same speed hence not leaving anyones dog in longer than it may like  :- "  :- "  we could go on and on.  Occasionally yes i think people may do things that we don't like and we may feel is a detriment to our own dog but surely common sense should prevail with whom ever is in charge either at the traps or if further down track if someone is doing something over the top then lets ask them not too i'm sure they will oblige or at the worst give us a smack in the mouth  :eek:   I would like to think these happenings are more people trying to keep their own dogs calm or encouragement rather than purposely being done to distract others. Lets face it most of us are a loud bunch who race our dogs and think alot of it is just weekend therapy for us letting out the stress where else do we get the chance to YELL as we do (well not me personally me being the quiet calm type !!! no one was at Scot Derby or Bend champs this year i'm sure i was calm wasn't i ???  :oops: ) Sorry typing fingers carried away again  :( 'Happy racing folks!'

:lol: :thumbsup:

What's the point in having some of these rules if we don't follow them ?

Robert just hit the nail on the head when he said, "the only problem with letting common sense prevail is that common sense AIN'T THAT COMMON !!!"

P.S Rob also says if anyone wants to smack him in the mouth they're welcome to try :blink: .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back