The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

How Far Do You Go???

rob67

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious to know as to how far people are willing to go..................(or how far do the rules dictate you can go) to encourage their dogs (or sometimes friends dogs) whilst in the traps, or to encourage them as they are racing up the track? Having seen various ways of people keeping their dogs attention in the trap.............which includes clapping, waving something etc I'm curious as to what effect that has on the other dogs in the race( I personally dont think it's fair) and if it has always been the case that it was allowed. Speaking for myself, I know I imitate a fishwife up the track :D (w00t) but I dont think that puts other dogs off!

Anybody who has been in racing long enough to remember the good old days and what happened then?

chris

agree with you about some of the things can put other dogs off having said that the BWRA rules is a 20yd box off so no one should be within 20yds of the traps at a BWRA event although it doesn't allways happen :- " I think it should be done at all opens

We give ours a shout when were up the track well Ninny realy Ruby we dont tent to shout much eather. but at the traps I want them looking at the lure string not me or anyone elas jumping about waving things and blowing whisels I have been at the track with a dog on the lead and the noise off some peoepl maid the do I was holding jump so it must be affeting other in the traps nowt wrong with shouting as everyone does it realy and all the dogs are used to it. dont think it makes any difernce though

weathergirls said:
agree with you about some of the things  can put other dogs off  having said that the BWRA rules  is a 20yd box off  so no one should be within 20yds of the traps  at a BWRA event  although it doesn't allways happen :- "  I think it should be done at all opens
I'll second that Linda, can we have this rule with the new fed?

Not being allowed to stand near the traps sund like a good idea to me, I know if ever Blaze was off the back giving more than 4-5yds away in a race Mum used to stand right at the back by the red trap telling her to "easy" (calm down) but I don't think she ever did it in a close company race.

I suppose with seasoned adults it doesn't make much of a difference as they know the score but it's cer tainly not fair on puppies/yearlings and it's just silly trying to lean over from the right to shout at your dog on the left etc. as some dogs watch their owners down the track and waving arms and leaning bodies over the track just serves to worry some dogs.

Also at the finish line, I remember one person stepping out right into the middle of the track to shout their dog as it got close to the finish line, they were stood ahead of all the other owners so god only knows how close the lure was going to finish to them. If you're going to stand in the middle of the track do it a long way back so chances are the lure will stop and the dogs will get on it without you having to dash out of the way at the last second and the other dogs will not be slowing up to anticipate moving around you.

Last edited by a moderator:
i always stay at traps to get em out due to others doing the same :) especially with rapid stag or she splits her webs going mad :( but doesn't if I'm there to shout at her to stop

mutley said:
i alleways stay at traps to get em out due to others doing the same  :)
You've summed it up in one there Gary :thumbsup:

I've heard complaints about trap boards, why do we use them ? Because everyone else does it.

Shouting the dogs, because everyone else does it.

Carrying coats, hats, bags, rags, towels up the track and wafting them around, because everyone else does it.

Mum just asked why to people shout at their dogs to "watch it" - watch what ? the lure hasn't come past yet :wacko: , i just wonder what happens when someone in the park waves their arm down towards the floor, do a pack of whippets all suddenly charge down the field in a straight line ?

If we're talking about safety issues as well, what happens when a great big scratch dog gets off it's lead when jo bloggs is waving and wafting a coat, hat, towel etc over the lure sting at the finish line ? BANG !!!

P.S I think I must be on my soap box tonight !!! :oops:

I know when I run Suzie I usually have someone down the traps to keep an eye on her muzzle as she is a cow and tries to take it off. If she is clawing at it she gets shouted at, she is the only one of our dogs we need to do this with. I think if there were 2 ppl on the traps at opens, 1 to pull traps and another to watch out for dogs getting muzzle off, putting legs through front of traps etc then there would be no need for me to ask some one to stay and keep an eye on it.

At the english Derby when piglet and Joe were both at traps i asked Joe if he would keep an eye on Suzies muzzle on the sunday as she got it off on the saturday, which he did and was a great help.

Fleesh said:
mutley said:

I've heard complaints about trap boards, why do we use them ? Because everyone else does it.

Carrying coats, hats, bags, rags, towels up the track and wafting them around, because everyone else does it.

Mum just asked why to people shout at their dogs to "watch it" - watch what ? the lure hasn't come past yet :wacko: , i just wonder what happens when someone in the park waves their arm down towards the floor, do a pack of whippets all suddenly charge down the field in a straight line ?

If we're talking about safety issues as well, what happens when a great big scratch dog gets off it's lead when jo bloggs is waving and wafting a coat, hat, towel etc over the lure sting at the finish line ? BANG !!!

PMSL PICTURING SOMEONE IN THE PARK TAKING THEIR COAT OFF AND A PACK OF WHIPPETS RACING TO GET IT :lol: :lol: :lol:

stormy weathers said:
I know when I run Suzie I usually have someone down the traps to keep an eye on her muzzle as she is a cow and tries to take it off. If she is clawing at it she gets shouted at, she is the only one of our dogs we need to do this with. I think if there were 2 ppl on the traps at opens, 1 to pull traps and another to watch out for dogs getting muzzle off, putting legs through front of traps etc then there would be no need for me to ask some one to stay and keep an eye on it. 
At the english Derby when piglet and Joe were both at traps i asked Joe if he would keep an eye on Suzies muzzle on the sunday as she got it off on the saturday, which he did and was a great help.

WHAT A GREAT IDEA VALERIE I THINK SOMEONE COULD PROPOSE THIS. soz about caps. I dont mind who watches my dogs out the boxes but i do believe it would be a great idea for one person to watch all the dogs incase of muzzle getting off or feet thru the bars etc

they are sight hounds, correct,..not sound hounds.

all the shouting does not make the dogs run any faster, it just makes the people feel like they have encouraged there dogs to try harder...

jasper. said:
they are sight hounds, correct,..not sound hounds.  all the shouting does not make the dogs run any faster, it just makes the people feel like they have encouraged there dogs to try harder...

I wasn't particularly on about people shouting their dogs, more about the other distractions that occur at the traps that can put other dogs off and isnt very sportsmanlike...............which as you so correctly point out as 'sighthounds' they will react to, like flapping things and clapping hands :D

in some cases more like to put other dogs concentration off.

no someone thats dog wasnt getting out,one of the family was shouting the name at the traps it was watching this person not the lure,stopped doing it trapping fixed.

roddy is mad enough so dont shout of him till his out.

it might help. heard of some people who know a dog runs to its owner standing in front of them to try and get a advantage (w00t)

sherry said:
Fleesh said:
mutley said:

PMSL PICTURING SOMEONE IN THE PARK TAKING THEIR COAT OFF AND A PACK OF WHIPPETS RACING TO GET IT :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's alright you laughing Carole,try walking past our Harv with your shopping bags at Scotland.When running ours to each other at home have allways used rustling carrier bags with abit of food in :- " needless to say Harveys locked up when I come back from the Supermarket (w00t) :lol:

I would think that the walking up the track waving a rag is a part of the old way when it was called rag racing

dogs run up the track to their own rag/or in many cases Hessian sack--

there was no lure to chase but they ran in lanes about a yard wide--

it was the shouting /waving that they ran too---

1968 the BWRA was formed and most clubs changed from rag racing to lure racing ---only one or two in the north west carried on rag racing--

We have in my opinion not come very far since then with any aspect of racing in fact lots of things are worse now than then---

Sportsmanship being the first that springs to mind--or lack of it nowadays

but i will leave it at that for others to comment on --- -_-

steve :D

Do you mean banging on trap fronts & standing in front of your dogs trap? Have seen that happen & it is totally out of order!

rob67 said:
jasper. said:
they are sight hounds, correct,..not sound hounds.  all the shouting does not make the dogs run any faster, it just makes the people feel like they have encouraged there dogs to try harder...

I wasn't particularly on about people shouting their dogs, more about the other distractions that occur at the traps that can put other dogs off and isnt very sportsmanlike...............which as you so correctly point out as 'sighthounds' they will react to, like flapping things and clapping hands :D

as u have said they r sight hounds so IMO clapping of hands shudnt put them off :blink: waving a bag maybe but clapping imo no.

@ elises mam saying when people say *watch it* they have nothing to watch... they do in scratch racing as the rag is in front of the traps ;)

@ jasper, i beleive shouting your dog on does actually help some dogs, a few years ago my own dog mickey whizz was in the english derby no limit final and he was getting beat until a friend of mine shouted very loudly GO ON ZAK and he seemed to put his head down and run faster. it cud have been coincidence but i dont suppose we wud ever know.

just thinking about how strange it wud b if nobody shouted their dogs on etc IMO there wud b no atmosphere ( i know thats not technically the subject) maybe we shud try it @ one of the h/caps... i bet it wud b quite boring :lol:

sherry said:
rob67 said:
jasper. said:

as u have said they r sight hounds so IMO clapping of hands shudnt put them off :blink: waving a bag maybe but clapping imo no.

@ elises mam saying when people say *watch it* they have nothing to watch... they do in scratch racing as the rag is in front of the traps ;)

@ jasper, i beleive shouting your dog on does actually help some dogs, a few years ago my own dog mickey whizz was in the english derby no limit final and he was getting beat until a friend of mine shouted very loudly GO ON ZAK and he seemed to put his head down and run faster. it cud have been coincidence but i dont suppose we wud ever know.

just thinking about how strange it wud b if nobody shouted their dogs on etc IMO there wud b no atmosphere ( i know thats not technically the subject) maybe we shud try it @ one of the h/caps... i bet it wud b quite boring :lol:

Sorry carole I disagree with the fact that because dogs are sight hounds that noise doesnt put them off.................if that was the case then none of our dogs would react to noise! Thinking of bonfire night etc!I think my point was more about the intention behind the actions and the unsportsmanlike behaviours that go on rather than whether they react to sounds etc. I freely admit I shout my dogs on, and it probably makes me feel better rather than making the dog run faster :D

chris

Don't mind shouting whilst the doogs are running down the track or shouting whilst walking down, shouting at the finish line etc. but I think Chris was getting at people standing by the traps whilst the dogs are in the traps and leaning over the fences shouting and waving arms/rags/bags etc.

I shout @ crackin whizz @ the boxes purely to try and keep her calm as she barks very very loudly :lol:

jasper also said they r sight hounds he says shouting wont make them run faster so imo clapping wont do anything either. if they cant hear shouting or ignore shouting then surely the same can b said about clapping? :blink:

good debate though :D

i think we shud try @ wallsend having a silent h/cap pmsl i am taking the pee obviously :lol: :oops:

Back