The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Greyhound's On The Lamp

dazgail said:
For the average person who lamps their dogs, why on earth would they want to lamp 70 rabbits in one night baffles me.....now, i said average person, meaning persons who have a full time job and lamping, ferreting or any type of hunting with their dogs is a hobby or pastime. I don't need a dog with loads and loads and loads of stamina to run 70 rabbits in one night or day as i'm happy to come home with half a dozen rabbits.Interestingly enough Mark, i havn't noticed any pictures of any of your older dogs on k9, where are they? as it would be nice to know that your dogs are with you for life especially with all your years of working dogs. I would expect that you have a few old age pensioners in your kennels.

SOME HOW I DOENT THINK YOU WILL, HE'S A NEWBY TO THE SPORT, ARENT YOU UNCLE MARK

ASK HIM ABOUT THE TIME WHEN HE NEARLY GOT RAN OVER WITH THE MILK FLOAT, YES YOUVE GUESSED. HE WAS COLLECTING ROAD KILLS :b :lol:

TOM

markbrick said:
dazgail said:
For the average person who lamps their dogs, why on earth would they want to lamp 70 rabbits in one night baffles me.....now, i said average person, meaning persons who have a full time job and lamping, ferreting or any type of hunting with their dogs is a hobby or pastime. I don't need a dog with loads and loads and loads of stamina to run 70 rabbits in one night or day as i'm happy to come home with half a dozen rabbits.Interestingly enough Mark, i havn't noticed any pictures of any of your older dogs on k9, where are they? as it would be nice to know that your dogs are with you for life especially with all your years of working dogs. I would expect that you have a few old age pensioners in your kennels.

i lost 2 the yr before last,they were both accidents while hunting there was members on here out with me that night and i couldnt of forseen what had happened,my oldest bitch is lady shes 4 now and maybe someone on here might put a photo up of her shes the brindle bitch,but how long my dogs are with me they have a good life better then most i see in the summer months locked in cages and most would run of if they wernt on leads,mark

Sorry to hear about your 2 dogs that you lost due to accidents..i just hope that your current dogs will be with you for life barring any accidents. It's none of my business what you or anyone does with their dogs but if people are going to slag others who pass their dogs on for whatever reason let's hope they don't live in glass houses.

Happy New Year

TOMTHUMB said:
dazgail said:

SOME HOW I DOENT THINK YOU WILL, HE'S A NEWBY TO THE SPORT, ARENT YOU UNCLE MARK

ASK HIM ABOUT THE TIME WHEN HE NEARLY GOT RAN OVER WITH THE MILK FLOAT, YES YOUVE GUESSED. HE WAS COLLECTING ROAD KILLS :b :lol:

TOM

(w00t) :lol: :D

Always love reading your posts....great sense of humour.

Is Thomthumb any relation to Stormy :teehee:

dazgail said:
TOMTHUMB said:
dazgail said:

TOM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: they could be twins

dazgail said:
markbrick said:
dazgail said:

i lost 2 the yr before last,they were both accidents while hunting there was members on here out with me that night and i couldnt of forseen what had happened,my oldest bitch is lady shes 4 now and maybe someone on here might put a photo up of her shes the brindle bitch,but how long my dogs are with me they have a good life better then most i see in the summer months locked in cages and most would run of if they wernt on leads,mark

Sorry to hear about your 2 dogs that you lost due to accidents..i just hope that your current dogs will be with you for life barring any accidents. It's none of my business what you or anyone does with their dogs but if people are going to slag others who pass their dogs on for whatever reason let's hope they don't live in glass houses.

Happy New Year

oh sorry to say in over 40 yrs of having lurchers ive passed one dog on,no fault of its own a very hard decision but it was made for the dog that dog in the 2 nd night of being at its home run 20 rabbits and killed 18 so i would say its settled in well the person who got it will say it is a fantastic dog now how many have you passed on and i forgot to say i also have a nine yr old hear as well that is dog

dazgail said:

Believe me Gaz.When wabbit's were part of the weekly income,you wanted all you're dog's catching 50/70 per night,although that was nigh imposible.You did get a blessing with 1 or 2 goodun's though,and i had those wee blessing's,when time's were hard.Now, im like youreself,and 6 would be quite enough.What someone does with a couple of thousand rabbit's,in a few month's,is beyond me,as it would take a lot of feeding,and quite a few 6ft freezers to hold them all,+there's still 2 month's of the winter left to get through yet.I notice one person on here has just gone over 3.000..Not getting at anyone here ,but that thought just x my mind.What do you do,with all those rabbit's,or is there still good buisiness to be found out there somewhere,as i might get back into it,with a couple of colliex w/g.One thing i have been doin lately myself,is moving wabbit's from where i get them, to around where i live.Mean's i can get a few run's now,just out walking the road's round here,with the wee bitches at night.Hope you had a good Christmas Darren. "HAPPY NEW YEAR" mate. ...Billy...

Last edited by a moderator:
markbrick said:
dazgail said:
markbrick said:
dazgail said:

Happy New Year

oh sorry to say in over 40 yrs of having lurchers ive passed one dog on,no fault of its own a very hard decision but it was made for the dog that dog in the 2 nd night of being at its home run 20 rabbits and killed 18 so i would say its settled in well the person who got it will say it is a fantastic dog now how many have you passed on and i forgot to say i also have a nine yr old hear as well that is dog
I'm not getting into a discussion as to how many dogs anyone has passed on as it's none of my business...i just hope that those who criticise others don't do the same. I hate all this quoting

dazgail said:
markbrick said:
dazgail said:
markbrick said:
dazgail said:

Happy New Year

I'm not getting into a discussion as to how many dogs anyone has passed on as it's none of my business...i just hope that those who criticise others don't do the same. I hate all this quoting

what i got rid of one dog in over 40 yrs wow like i said what about you you brought it up,and to rabbits we kill large amounts cause we have large amountsfarmers pay £1 per kill are £3.50 an acre to hunt on tell them it isnt fair to kill there rabbits :D i will introduce you to some if you like thats farmers and have a debate with them on me and my lurchers numbers,also i feed 6 dogs rabbit 4 ferrets and give a few to the older generation of coarse free,mark i think some of you lot want to get out in the fields and have a go you might find the true meaning of owning a lurcher,mark

markbrick said:
billyboy45 said:
markbrick said:
hi billy,there will always be a freak of nature but greyhounds arnt staying dogs thats one of the reasons collie was introduced to give them stamina and bull re introduced a few hundred yrs ago,my old man always liked to lamp with a greyhound when he was foxing ive seen him with several foxes in one night with a greyhound he always kept them flighty as a heavy dog in his oppinion was no good, :thumbsup: but a greyhound taking are runing 70 rabbits in one night billy i would love to see,that nu is my all time best with my brindle who is here and god was she knackered,shes ghxcollie whippetxbedlington,this thread will proberly get some stick but i also beleave gh whippets havnt got the stamina and up to today not seen one with the stamina to touch my working dogs theres a hell of a lot of plastic bag chasers being bred at the moment were will all these dogs end up when they dont get anywere at the shows :- " ??????to many people swap there dogs and get rid cause they cant beat an old collie x in a straight race and not forgeting 99% of the collie xs wernt bred for the racin game but you also get a freak of nature there as well :thumbsup:we will have to keep this thread in the guidlines of k9 cause theres a mod who loves increasing my warnin level and ive no more to spare,mark
Did'nt say it was a greyhound who run 70 in a night,as it was my own w/g bitch who did it.She also ran 5 daytime february hare's in one evening,and killed 3 of them.That was after a morning's ferreting.But then she was 110%fit.So was i,come to think of it.The greyhound bitch who was able to take 50 in a night,was a freak,but one i wish id owned.She was bred to a meril collie,but none of her pup's were as good as herself.As regard's the pup's being bred at the moment for racing purpose's,mine will work a bit too,and for those that dont make the grade,i have a waiting list of good working home's.

BILLY IAM SURE YOU HAVE GOOD HOMES BUT THERES WORKING HOMES AND WORKING A GH WHIPPET WOULDNT LAST LONG IN MY HOME THEY HAVNT THE STAMINA IAM CONCERNED TO HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE BREEDING AT THE MOMENT THE DOG HOME IS FULL OF GHX WHIPPETS,MARK

My dogs are with me for life. Read the above posts and you will see it was you who brought up in your posts dogs moving from one hand to another or even dog homes and in another post you said that a whippetx that didn't have stamina wouldn't last long in your kennels or words to that affect. I'm not even going to answer anymore of your posts

markbrick said:
dazgail said:
TOMTHUMB said:
dazgail said:

TOM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: they could be twins
NOW THATS NOT VERY NICE UNCLE MARK :angry: COME TO THINK ABOUT IT

YOU AND BILLY HARPOOR COULD BE TWINS :- " WITH ALL THOSE TALL STORIES YOU BOTH COME ON HERE WITH :- " BUT YOU CANT KID A KIDDER CAN YOU UNCLE MARK :lol: HAPPY NEW YEAR

TOM

billyboy45 said:
dazgail said:

Believe me Gaz.When wabbit's were part of the weekly income,you wanted all you're dog's catching 50/70 per night,although that was nigh imposible.You did get a blessing with 1 or 2 goodun's though,and i had those wee blessing's,when time's were hard.Now, im like youreself,and 6 would be quite enough.What someone does with a couple of thousand rabbit's,in a few month's,is beyond me,as it would take a lot of feeding,and quite a few 6ft freezers to hold them all,+there's still 2 month's of the winter left to get through yet.I notice one person on here has just gone over 3.000..Not getting at anyone here ,but that thought just x my mind.What do you do,with all those rabbit's,or is there still good buisiness to be found out there somewhere,as i might get back into it,with a couple of colliex w/g.One thing i have been doin lately myself,is moving wabbit's from where i get them, to around where i live.Mean's i can get a few run's now,just out walking the road's round here,with the wee bitches at night.Hope you had a good Christmas Darren. "HAPPY NEW YEAR" mate. ...Billy...

EASY, I SELL THEM TO ALL THE LOCAL GREYHOUND TRAINERS IN MY AREA

£1 EACH OR 6 FOR £5 THEN I GO AND BUY A BAG OF CHUDDLEYS FOR MY TOP WORKING DOGS :thumbsup: JUST SKINNED AND GUTTERED 51 TODAY :thumbsup:

TOM

TOMTHUMB said:
billyboy45 said:
dazgail said:

£1 EACH OR 6 FOR £5 THEN I GO AND BUY A BAG OF CHUDDLEYS FOR MY TOP WORKING DOGS :thumbsup: JUST SKINNED AND GUTTERED 51 TODAY :thumbsup:

TOM

What on earth do they want a load of dead rabbit's for.I keep n train greyhound's,and know hundred's of other's.Ive never in my life known even one to buy dead rabbit's.It's been known though,that a tenner a time,can be had for ferreted bunnie's(alive).No point hiding the fact,cause it happen's all over,in the greyhound world.So those 51 wabbit's,could make up to £500.10.Come on.

Last edited by a moderator:
billyboy45 said:
TOMTHUMB said:
billyboy45 said:
dazgail said:

TOM

What on earth do they want a load of dead rabbit's for.I keep n train greyhound's,and know hundred's of other's.Ive never in my life known even one to buy dead rabbit's.It's been known though,that a tenner a time,can be had for ferreted bunnie's(alive).No point hiding the fact,cause it happen's all over,in the greyhound world.So those 51 wabbit's,could make up to £500.10.Come on.
TO EAT :wacko: I'M SURE YOU HAVE GIVEN YOUR DOGS RABBIT MEAT, YOU SILLY BILLY :wacko: LOOK MR HARPOOR, I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH GREYHOUND MEN PAY FOR LIVE RABBITS :rant: ITS BLOODY CRUEL TO TEASE DOGS WITH A LIVE RABBIT JUST BEFOR THEY RACE THEM :rant: AND YOU CHRISTIAN MAN o:)

ALSO ALL MY RABBITS ARE CAUGHT BY A GREYHOUND AND ALL LIVE TO HAND :thumbsup:

MAY GOD FORGIVE THEM THAT PRACTICE THIS CRUEL AND EVIL WAY OF GEEING THERE DOGS UP FOR THE SAKE OF WINNING A RACE

TOM

TOMTHUMB said:
billyboy45 said:
TOMTHUMB said:
billyboy45 said:
dazgail said:

TOM

TO EAT :wacko: I'M SURE YOU HAVE GIVEN YOUR DOGS RABBIT MEAT, YOU SILLY BILLY :wacko: LOOK MR HARPOOR, I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH GREYHOUND MEN PAY FOR LIVE RABBITS :rant: ITS BLOODY CRUEL TO TEASE DOGS WITH A LIVE RABBIT JUST BEFOR THEY RACE THEM :rant: AND YOU CHRISTIAN MAN o:)

MAY GOD FORGIVE THEM THAT PRACTICE THIS CRUEL AND EVIL WAY OF GEEING THERE DOGS UP FOR THE SAKE OF WINNING A RACE

TOM

so what do you do with the wee bunnies when your dog puts them in your hand

KILL THEM HUMANELY :wacko: AND WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THEM?

I BET YOU MAKE DAVEY CROCKET HATS OUT OF THEM :- "

TOM

how did ya guess 10/10 go to the top of the class tomthumb

TOMTHUMB said:
billyboy45 said:
TOMTHUMB said:
billyboy45 said:
dazgail said:

TOM

TOM

OK.TOM,point taken,and no,i dont seel either dead or living one's,as i find it best to just take a dog or bitch out on the lamp,the natural way,and when the right rabbit present's itself,then the greyhound is slipped,with a muzzle on,as i recon it's better,if they dont get the kill.Just my way,i suppose,but it's what work's best,with a lot of greyhound's.Some of coarse do need the kill,to bring them on.But once they're going,all they need is the odd good course,to keep m on their toe's.Let them kill to many,they get too smart. ...Billy... " HAPPY NEW YEAR "

Back