The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Disgusting Habit!

Suerose

Registered
Reaction score
:x :x For an elegant dog she can be totally gross! :x :x Grace has got in the habit of searching out and eating cat poo whenever she is in the garden. Since I have four cats and the garden is netted to keep them in and safe she generally finds some - difficult to keep it cleared up with long dark nights. Do you think putting a muzzle on her before she goes out there would prevent her being able to? And if so, what sort of muzzle would be best? Or does anyone have any other good ideas? The worst is when she does it just before bedtime and then thinks she is going to get into bed with me :wacko:

What are the cats being fed? My first thought would be change the cats food or add something to it that makes it less appetising to dogs :blink: On the other hand you could just be grateful that you are getting a free poop scoop service lol - don't envy you your bedmate though :x

Get a plastic basket type muzzle

You might have to put some tape over the end if she pushes the muzzle into the poo to eat it :x

Oh dear :-

Put a covered tray down for the cats in a place where they can get to it but make it inaccessible to Grace.

I can almost guarantee the cats will use the tray rather than the cold, wet earth and all you have to do is clean it out once a day or so :thumbsup:

Oh dear :-
Put a covered tray down for the cats in a place where they can get to it but make it inaccessible to Grace.

I can almost guarantee the cats will use the tray rather than the cold, wet earth and all you have to do is clean it out once a day or so :thumbsup:
I already have one - not the solution sadly. A couple of the cats use it and the other two don't. Good thought though :thumbsup:

I have been also considering putting a muzzle on my 6 mth, she has been doing this ever since she came & I just cant get her to stop. It is not cats but the other dogs she picks up, even if she has just had her food!! It is so annoying when they are given decent food & she goes out to do that!!

Find the the offending poos cat or dogs, then get a tin of pineapple chunks and pour the juice over the poo let the dog out and i guarantee it will never touch it again.

:x :x For an elegant dog she can be totally gross! :x :x Grace has got in the habit of searching out and eating cat poo whenever she is in the garden. Since I have four cats and the garden is netted to keep them in and safe she generally finds some - difficult to keep it cleared up with long dark nights. Do you think putting a muzzle on her before she goes out there would prevent her being able to? And if so, what sort of muzzle would be best? Or does anyone have any other good ideas? The worst is when she does it just before bedtime and then thinks she is going to get into bed with me :wacko:
Get shut of your cats .. simple as.. :thumbsup:

If using a muzzle works, let me know. I have a grehound and two whippets who love nothing better than clearing up after the rest and each other. YUKKY.

:x

Find the the offending poos cat or dogs, then get a tin of pineapple chunks and pour the juice over the poo let the dog out and i guarantee it will never touch it again.
That trick did not work for my bitch - all three of mine loved the pineapple. They all ate the pineapple up and the poo-eating offender happily recycled the end product :wacko:

my dogs love pineapple and the juice... :wacko:

my dogs love pineapple and the juice... :wacko:
Mine too, its only if the pooping dog has eaten the pineapple that their poo ends up offensive to eat!!

Another thought ...... cat poo is just recycled cat food which smells delightful to a dog but 100% non-palatable to us :x

Now, I noticed that one of my GSDs who used to eat her own poo when she was on complete food stopped doing so when I changed her to a raw meat and bones diet! So I am just wondering if you fed the cats on raw meat, would the poo no longer be attractive to Grace? :unsure:

my vet told me to give my dogs a pineapple chunk every day in the morning as it contains some vitamin they lack and thats why they eat the poo it worked for my pups hope you have some luck :luck:

YUK! They really can be disgusting cant they?? I have a couple of the whippets that do this & i have never found a cure & tried all sorts. Some over the years i have found grow out of it as they get older but not all.

My neighbours think i am nuts as they often see me go haring down the garden shreiking like the mad woman at the top of my voice "DONT YOU DARE!!!! Leave it alone!" By the the time i get there they have swallowed it whole anyway!

Good luck if you find something that works please let us all know. :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
This weather they are enjoying the special treat of ice poopsicles.

Jenny

I have found that a muzzle helps break the habit. It took about 3 months. Unfortunately, the habit is returning and the muzzle will be in use again :wacko:

The pineappple worked for one of my dogs and cured the dog poo habit.

I doubt however that you will persuade your cats to eat pineapple :teehee:

Scout's a real devil for doing this too :x If it's someone else's poo, she'll snaffle it!

I thought she was having a good time digging in the snow earlier today, until a closer examination showed she was digging to find the flippin' stuff!

Sometimes I wonder why I bother feeding her "proper" food at all (w00t)

Think I might try the muzzle for her!

Good luck with persuading Grace that eating poo is not a ladylike habit :luck:

Terry.

Cat food is very high in protein, the other thing is dogs also benefit from high protein feeds and both animals will excrete excess. Additionally elderly dogs waste is particularly attractive because they tend to use less protein.

Now I'm not for a second suggesting everyone changes their dogs feed, for one it could compromise their health. But I think it goes some way in explaining why it's such a common habit and it also says to me that the dogs doing it aren't being grossly overfed either, which is also beneficial to a long health. :thumbsup:

This is why the term ''recycling'' is used by some to describe the habit.

Muzzles, ideally wrapped with tape do work well to break the habit. For some it's a habit they'll never break so it's a matter of muzzling them while you clean up then taking it off when everyone's emptied.

Our bully whippet is probably the worst dog in the world for it. Her body's double muscling makes her need for protein insatiable. We muzzle her at home till we've cleaned up and out on walks I take a handful of kibble and basically call her every 5 mins to give her a piece.

With regards to the cats. I found orange peel thrown in the flower beds very off putting for cats and they tend to go elsewhere. You have to do it frequently mind and I'm not sure if your dogs might start eating the peel. If it was Sasha she'd eat the peel, the pineapples and have poop for desert given the chance! (w00t)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back