The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Collar Query

kitty1972

Registered
Reaction score
Tarka is very annoyed as Bluebell has wrecked his lovely leather collar ZoeG bought him which was pigskin lined and very expensive!

I am a bit confused as I have always had plain leather buckle collars for my whippets and I though martingale collars were house collars.

Is that right or can you use the martingale for outdoor use?

I know there are alot of collar experts on here so i am hoping to have this clarified so that I can spend some money on the whippets!!

I've always used martingale collars for walking my sighthounds. I prefer them as nervous dogs can't back out of them and they loosen off comfortably around the house and don't rub the fur :)

I would never leave a martingale on a dog in or out, due to risk of it getting caught - I do like to walk on lead in one though as feefee says, they cannot back out of them.

How is Tarka? and the little hooly Bluebell?

Hi,

Martingale collars are for use outdoors. They can be found in both webbing and leather designs. The idea behind them is that they provide a gentle, secure collar for dogs which are liable to back out of their collars. Martingale collars should not be left on indoors for safety purposes as when not in use they hang very loose around the dogs neck.

Hope this is of help. If I can be of any more assistance please pm me.

I use only Martingale collars and only for outdoor walking with leash, when I let him free to run I remove the collar

thanks for your replies, I am going to try them tomorrow on my walk. :))

martingale collars for me to :thumbsup:

Telecaster said:
I use only Martingale collars and only for outdoor walking with leash, when I let him free to run I remove the collar
does everyone remove the collar when letting the dog off the lead?

Mine have Martingales and leather collars, but I do prefer Matingales when lead walking. I do leave the collar on when they are running too

well i dont, and have never had a problem with them :thumbsup:

whippetsrus said:
Hi,
Martingale collars are for use outdoors.  They can be found in both webbing and leather designs.  The idea behind them is that they provide a gentle, secure collar for dogs which are liable to back out of their collars.  Martingale collars should not be left on indoors for safety purposes as when not in use they hang very loose around the dogs neck.

Hope this is of help.  If I can be of any more assistance please pm me.

I have made and used martigales for over 8 years, my dogs wear them 24/7. Mine certainly do NOT "hang loose" round my dogs necks. Properly made and adjusted they should stay at the size you set them. I have lined and un-lined ones.

i keep gypsy's collar on all the time as well, they dont hang down to loose at all, as juley says, get a decent one and make sure it fits and it will be fine..........never had a problem with any of gypsys and she has quite a few :)

Juley said:
whippetsrus said:
Hi,
Martingale collars are for use outdoors.  They can be found in both webbing and leather designs.  The idea behind them is that they provide a gentle, secure collar for dogs which are liable to back out of their collars.  Martingale collars should not be left on indoors for safety purposes as when not in use they hang very loose around the dogs neck.

I have made and used martigales for over 8 years, my dogs wear them 24/7. Mine certainly do NOT "hang loose" round my dogs necks. Properly made and adjusted they should stay at the size you set them. I have lined and un-lined ones.

Can't edit post now. Perhaps you should check the way you are making them. I would be very concerned about the fact that they are coming loose. Don't forget, a dog life is at stake if they are incorrectly made.

mine were martingales in the houes and leather when out I have never had a problem with a martingal coller hanging lose on my whippets or greyhounds if there maid and fitted well.

Juley said:
Juley said:
whippetsrus said:
Hi,

Can't edit post now. Perhaps you should check the way you are making them. I would be very concerned about the fact that they are coming loose. Don't forget, a dog life is at stake if they are incorrectly made.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, no dogs life is at stake from any of my collars. I have been making collars since 2001. The people I have sold martingale collars to have been more than impressed with both the quality and durability of what I have sold them. As far as I am concerned it is up to the purchaser to decide where they buy their collars from. However I have taken the trouble to do some research before replying to your post. The definition of martingale collars, copied from wikipedia:

A martingale is a type of dog collar that provides more control over the animal without the choking effect of a slip collar. It is similar in concept to a horse's martingale.

Martingale Dog collars are also known as Greyhound Collars or Humane Choke Dog Collar. The Martingale Dog Collar was designed for Sighthounds because their necks are larger than their heads and they can often slip out of buckle collars. These collars have gained popularity among other breed owners in the recent past with many trainers now recommending them instead of choke chains or choke collars.

Martingale Dog Collars are fitted to the exact size of the dog's neck when the Dog Collar is pulled closed. Properly fitted, the collar will be comfortably loose when not in use. When the Martingale Control loop is pulled, the 2 slides (hardware on the small control loop of the Martingale Collar) should pull close together but the two slides should never touch.

There are also many places, other than myself, who recommend that dogs are not left unattended in martingale collars. At the end of the day it is up to the user to determine how the collar is worn and the suitability of a specific product for their dog.

I seem to remember that the original post was a request for information, of which there will be differing opinions.

I love the martingales and my girls have some really pretty ones

but they do ruin them very quickly but dragging each other around

by them, plus the sea water and sand dont help.

I find leather last longer.........well the one's that K doesn't chew of

Sada's neck ;)

whippetsrus said:
Juley said:
Juley said:
whippetsrus said:
Hi,

Just so there is no misunderstanding, no dogs life is at stake from any of my collars. I have been making collars since 2001. The people I have sold martingale collars to have been more than impressed with both the quality and durability of what I have sold them. As far as I am concerned it is up to the purchaser to decide where they buy their collars from. However I have taken the trouble to do some research before replying to your post. The definition of martingale collars, copied from wikipedia:

A martingale is a type of dog collar that provides more control over the animal without the choking effect of a slip collar. It is similar in concept to a horse's martingale.

Martingale Dog collars are also known as Greyhound Collars or Humane Choke Dog Collar. The Martingale Dog Collar was designed for Sighthounds because their necks are larger than their heads and they can often slip out of buckle collars. These collars have gained popularity among other breed owners in the recent past with many trainers now recommending them instead of choke chains or choke collars.

Martingale Dog Collars are fitted to the exact size of the dog's neck when the Dog Collar is pulled closed. Properly fitted, the collar will be comfortably loose when not in use. When the Martingale Control loop is pulled, the 2 slides (hardware on the small control loop of the Martingale Collar) should pull close together but the two slides should never touch.

There are also many places, other than myself, who recommend that dogs are not left unattended in martingale collars. At the end of the day it is up to the user to determine how the collar is worn and the suitability of a specific product for their dog.

I seem to remember that the original post was a request for information, of which there will be differing opinions.

I think that there is huge difference between comfortably loose, ie not so tight as to cause discomfort and "hanging very loose" as you describe in your post. Plenty of other people have said that their collars do not hang very loose. I would be quite concerned as to why this is the case if it were me. Still, no doubt you know best.............................

I also didn't say that anyone should let their dog wear these collars 24/7, merely that mine do and have done for many years. Nor have I suggested where poeple should buy there collars from. It is after all a free country. Caveat Emptor

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my .02 on wearing martingales all the time....

A properly fitted martingale shouldn't gape when sitting loose. A properly fitted martingale should be fitted so that when pulled tight behind the ears there is a one-inch gap between the rings (or metal bits). If they are fitted that way, then when they are loose they will fit nicely at the bottom of the neck. If the rings meet then they are still too loose, and not only can the dogs escape, but chances are you will find they gape when sitting.

On the suject of leaving them on, Patience (www.dogwalkers.net) who is a close friend of mine and who I've been buying collars from for YEARS recommends them not to be worn all the time - not because of gaping, but because they ARE a type of choke collar and if a dog gets caught up on something they have a greater risk of choking.

I recognise that there is this risk with ANY collar, and slightly more with the martingale, but I have (and still do) left them on all the time with no worries, but I recognise that there is still a risk.

So while I wouldn't totally recommend that someone do this, I myself do. But a properly fitted martingale shouldn't fit any looser (and certainly not gape) than a loosely/comfortably fitted flat collar.

Just my thoughts.

Wendy

Thanks Juley, for your concern.

I have, since your original post, had a local, well respected, behaviourist check out my design. They recommend a variety of methods including check chains and half check depending on the situation that presents itself. They also tried out my designs in use for the afternoon on some of the dogs that they were going to see.

As a result they actually purchased a couple of collars for their own use whilst they were here and have offered to recommend my products to their clients. Hardly my intention when I asked for their opinion.

So a big THANK YOU Juley. Without your concern (which I add I did not share) a new avenue has been found.

I wouldn't take wikipedia's definition of anything as gospel! :- "

Mine wear their martingale's pretty much all of the time - I do take them off when they go in their crate at night but that is it. They never wear them hanging loose, nor have I ever seen anyone else's whippets wear them in this way. Mine always have them fitted so that 2 fingers can be slipped underneath the collar but so that it can not be pulled over the head without loosening first. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back