The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Collar Query

AnnSa said:
but they do ruin them very quickly but dragging each other around

by them,   ;)

Hi Ann

Please don't be offended, but this sentence really concerned me. Although my dogs do wear collars all the time (both flat collars or martingales depending on what they have on that day), and I recognise that there is a risk of them getting caught on something in the house, the one thing I NEVER let any of my dogs do is grab a collar on another dog. This is just that step too far for my comfort. I know of WAY too many instances where in play a dog has grabbed another's collar and got their jaw twisted resulting in the death of one dog (from choking) and on one occasion the death of both (jaw too badly dislocated to repair).

When my girls (from pups) put their teeth on collars the whole world falls on their heads and play stops immediately. If they just won't listen then collars come off till they're finished their mad half hour.

So although I'm willing to push the 'safety barrier' a little, that's the one I won't cross. Just in case it was something you hadn't though about. Hope you haven't taken offense.

Wendy

whippetsrus said:
Thanks Juley, for your concern.
I have, since your original post, had a local, well respected, behaviourist check out my design.  They recommend a variety of methods including check chains and half check depending on the situation that presents itself.  They also tried out my designs in use for the afternoon on some of the dogs that they were going to see.

As a result they actually purchased a couple of collars for their own use whilst they were here and have offered to recommend my products to their clients.  Hardly my intention when I asked for their opinion.

So a big THANK YOU Juley.  Without your concern (which I add I did not share) a new avenue has been found.

Glad to see you actually listened and got them checked out. As Wendy said, perhaps they did need to be fitted a little tighter. Glad to have been of some help to you. Amazing that they were able to come over so quickly as well, most of the ones I know are usually booked up well in advance. :thumbsup:

whippetsrus said:
I have, since your original post, had a local, well respected, behaviourist check out my design.  They recommend a variety of methods including check chains and half check depending on the situation that presents itself.  They also tried out my designs in use for the afternoon on some of the dogs that they were going to see.

As a result they actually purchased a couple of collars for their own use whilst they were here and have offered to recommend my products to their clients.  Hardly my intention when I asked for their opinion.

So a big THANK YOU Juley.  Without your concern (which I add I did not share) a new avenue has been found.

Edited by poster

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine don't wear collars in the house, they like to be naked!

I am going to try the martingale, my main concern was letting them off in the woods and the martingales being more likely to get caught on a branch etc.

However, as I have some martingales I purchased from some K9'ers I will give them a go. I had just been putting them on when we had guests and I wanted the dogs to feel their best :thumbsup:

chelynnah said:
AnnSa said:
but they do ruin them very quickly but dragging each other around

by them,   ;)

Hi Ann

Please don't be offended, but this sentence really concerned me. Although my dogs do wear collars all the time (both flat collars or martingales depending on what they have on that day), and I recognise that there is a risk of them getting caught on something in the house, the one thing I NEVER let any of my dogs do is grab a collar on another dog. This is just that step too far for my comfort. I know of WAY too many instances where in play a dog has grabbed another's collar and got their jaw twisted resulting in the death of one dog (from choking) and on one occasion the death of both (jaw too badly dislocated to repair).

When my girls (from pups) put their teeth on collars the whole world falls on their heads and play stops immediately. If they just won't listen then collars come off till they're finished their mad half hour.

So although I'm willing to push the 'safety barrier' a little, that's the one I won't cross. Just in case it was something you hadn't though about. Hope you haven't taken offense.

Wendy

Of course im not offended Wendy..........your thinking of my girls :thumbsup:

I should have really explained that my girls only wear their martingales

now when i take them somewhere where they are staying on their leads.

Sunday best :lol:

They dont pull each other around when they wear leather for some

reason.........i suppose they cant get such a good grip on it. But K

will chew they end bit that hangs out of the buckle while Sada lies

and lets her.

Im hoping that its just a case of two young dogs together and they

will grow out of this............dont know what my chances are and i

do stop them when i catch the little sods doing it :lol:

Juley said:
whippetsrus said:

So a big THANK YOU Juley.   Without your concern (which I add I did not share) a new avenue has been found.

Glad to see you actually listened and got them checked out. As Wendy said, perhaps they did need to be fitted a little tighter. Glad to have been of some help to you. Amazing that they were able to come over so quickly as well, most of the ones I know are usually booked up well in advance. :thumbsup:

To be honest they read the comment you made themselves as they were already over checking on Albus. He is big friends with their dogs and they knew he had been poorly. I wasn't getting my designs checked out from any concern of yours. I have no concerns whatsoever about my designs and they certainly were not fitted too loosely.

Could anyone add some pictures of well fitted martingales please - I've a all in one martingale lead for Blue which I use when we're popping out or road walking only, but have never used a martingale collar - photographic fitting instructions would be great :thumbsup:

meddling said:
Could anyone add some pictures of well fitted martingales please - I've a all in one martingale lead for Blue which I use when we're popping out or road walking only, but have never used a martingale collar - photographic fitting instructions would be great :thumbsup:
Not got any pix on here but lots on the websites mentioned on The Market Place, no names as I don't want to break board rules. (w00t) A well fitted martingale should have about a 1 inch gap behind the ears when tightened. In turn, when fitted like this it will sit nicely on the neck. If you don't have the 1 inch gap, the dog could still back out of the collar. One of mine, despite being nearly nine, goes loopy when she sees a cat, twisting and turning. The martingale holds her firmly.

If you hold the D ring on your collar and tighten it up right behind the ears, you will see what I mean. :D :thumbsup:

Juley said:
meddling said:
One of mine, despite being nearly nine, goes loopy when she sees a cat, twisting and turning. The martingale holds her firmly.

If you hold the D ring on your collar and tighten it up right behind the ears, you will see what I mean. :D :thumbsup:

Snap! Mine wear martingales for this very reason, a certain little madam who won't be named spins and twists over cats and I daren't let her wear anything else, I find the collars I bought from you Juley are up to the job :thumbsup:

~JO~ said:
Juley said:
meddling said:
One of mine, despite being nearly nine, goes loopy when she sees a cat, twisting and turning. The martingale holds her firmly.

Snap! Mine wear martingales for this very reason, a certain little madam who won't be named spins and twists over cats and I daren't let her wear anything else, I find the collars I bought from you Juley are up to the job :thumbsup:

Have you got a new girl then? :lol: I'm sure you can't mean the sweet little girl I know and love! :- " :huggles: :wub:

I've recently been converted to martingales, something I never thought would happen as I've always felt my lot were safer in leather :)

But I've got them for the boys and we love them! The girls have clip collars, but thats cos they are much smaller, lighter, craftier and twistier than even the naughtiest whippet, I'm just not brave enough to put them in something that gives them anything more than breathing space :- " :lol:

None of them wear collars in the house (unless we are away and family are dog sitting) because the iggies use the whippets as hot water bottles and it would be very easy for them to slip one of their long, slim legs inside a collar, not something I'd want to come home too :x

IMO Martingale Collars should Never be left on a dog when unattended!

They are designed to be adjusted to slip over the dogs head snugly, then to give control of your dog while at heel.

They are also known as Sighthound Collars as that is the type of dogs they were designed to be used on. Sighthounds having a small head in relation to there necks.

They are kinder to your dog than a check chain but work in very much the same way. A Check Chain when used correctly on a well trained dog is also very safe, even for Sighthounds IMO.

A Martingale collar if adjusted to be snug on the dogs neck without applying tension to the lead is IMO being incorrectly used and is still unsafe to be left on a dog while unattended. If left on a dog while unattended there is the risk of something hooking the collar and you know what the result could be.

Please ladies this is not the place for Cottage Industry Warfare remember we live in a private enterprise society, be kind to each other.

Back