The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Classic English Whippet Derby 2012

mollyxx

Registered
Reaction score
Paul and I made the journey down to Devon where he worked on the track for a few hours.

Afterwards we held a meeting with the CCA.

We then both walked the track and surrounding area.

It is with regret and after a lot of hard work in attaining the certificates & achieving camping back on the field we have had to make the decision to abandon the racing in Devon this year.

The dogs safety has to be considered first and foremost, and the track will not be suitable even if we could all work on it continuously for the next few weeks. It would have required a deluge of rain for the track to be rolled on a regular basis and for the grass seed to take to cover the large bare patches, the large rabbit holes could have been filled…but with an imminent hosepipe ban on the horizon, it left us with no other choice.

Sincere thanks to Doreen & Bill Hopkins also Bert Madgwick and of course Fordingbridge Wrc who have gallantly come to our rescue.

This fantastic scenic venue will be the home of the Derby, June 9th & 10th with the usual racing on Wednesday and on Saturday for the Classic IBM.

As you can see there will be mid-week racing and on the following weekend the Classic IBM, with trialling/training sessions for those who want them.

The camping will be on the picturesque trackside, there is a clubhouse on site including showers, with the beautiful river running alongside.

There are also various campsites nearby for those who wish to have electric hook-up.

Special thanks again to Fordingbridge Wrc for hosting this event and for their preparation before, & during our stay for which we are all very grateful.

On a final note; special thanks for Geoff, Hazel, Keith & Julie for all your work in the past, it has been very much appreciated.

To those who have reserved a camping space with me, my list has now been handed to over Doreen.

You must still contact Doreen to let her know ASAP if you still wish to camp at Fordingbridge!

Camping fee; Caravans; £50, Tents £25.

Please telephone Doreen Hopkins on 02392 486578.

P.S. Paul has spoken to Norman & Freda at Forest Glade informing them that we have cancelled the Derby and all racing in Devon for 2012 !!

Sad to read that the Devon track cannot be used this year, best of luck at Fordingbridge :luck:

just wondering is devon far from fordinbridge? is there lots of room 4 people to camp trackside @ fordy or is it full? cheerz

shame about devon but whooppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee for fordy brill place

fiona

just wondering is devon far from fordinbridge? is there lots of room 4 people to camp trackside @ fordy or is it full? cheerz
Carole as I write there are places available, telephone Doreen.

I think Geoff & Hazel will be travelling from Devon, but I think it is over an hour travelling if you don't mind that...Geoff will know on how far it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to answer a few of the questions. Devon is about 80 miles from Fordingbridge, and at the moment we still have some caravan paces left, and lots of spaces for tents/trailers.

Just to assure everyone Fordingbridge Wrc members will do everything we can to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable.

If the weather co-operates it will be an event to remember. We look forward to seeing you all.

kind regards

Doreen

What about all of us that have paid our deposits for devon, l know it's no ones fault but we all know you have to book early and have paid deposits which we will now loose. ;)

We have spoken to Norman (Forest Glade) explaining what has gone on and he fully understands.

I'm not sure who you have booked with, maybe your insurance cover when you booked will cover this, check with the site!

I can't apologise enough about the situation, but what would everyone rather do, run on a track that is worse than last year and risk injuring your dogs, or run on somewhere safe?

Sandy Balls Caravan Site isn't far away, it is beautiful has an outdoor pool and loads of facilities for everyone...take a look at their web site!

Does the date have to stay the same? Have to say i was initially gobsmacked to see the Derby on the weekend after the NNWRF Straight Champs.

Firstly anyone with a decent dog is going to want to run at both the NNWRF Straight Champs & the English Derby and both these events should want all the best dogs there. It's a lot to ask of any dog to potentially have to run 4 times one weekend and 4 times the weekend after. Secondly with the price of fuel and other things going through the roof these days and people already cutting back on their racing it's financially near impossible to do two weekend events in succession and that's without taking into account the IBM the following weekend.

It's shame you couldn't join it up with July event at fordhambridge and make it longer a festival of whippet racing over two weeks or ten days just idea but good luck with it a lovely place to put derby on sorry to hear people I going to loss there money they deposit on caravans & holidays in devon but track at Devon is not best anyway :thumbsup:

I can see your point Vicky, people have booked these dates from last year with work commitments.

It can't be helped this year, the Fed Champs were changed because of the Queen's Jubilee.

I'm sure we did the same a few years back, ran back to back with the Fed champs when she celebrated another jubilee.

Dogs race week in, week out on the bends, having more than one run.

At least at the Derby it is usually only one run Saturday and then 2 the next day with a huge gap between runs, so it isn't too taxing!

JUST BOOKED SANDY BALLS OI OI THE KIDS LOVE IT THERE :thumbsup: BUT EXPENSIVE

Real shame for all concerned.Hats off to Doreen and Bill for coming to the rescue

sorry was in a massive rush b4. firstly it is a shame its not @ devon but id rather the track was spot on than risk my dog on a bad track cant be helped. just a shame that geoff and hazel and julie and kieth and of course chris and pauls hard work is to no avail but like i say dogs safety must come 1st. secondly if the date was changed i for one wudnt b able to go due to work had to put my holidays in back in december to make sure i got them same with scotland and then the foreign lass has booked the same as me!!!! thanks for the info on how far it is from devon etc waiting 4 peter to text me back as hes @ work but pm,ing u now doreen.

p,s cant believe there is somewhere actually called SANDY BALLS PMSL (w00t)

A real shame Devon has gone but Fordy is a fantastic replacement :thumbsup: :luck:

The caravan camping list is getting pretty full now so if it is possible for the folling people to confirm their bookins it would be realy helpful

Sorry I have only got surnames

BENISTON

CAHILL

CHAPMAN

COPE

GORMLEY

JONES

RICHARDSON

SMITH

STAYTE

SYSON

WARD

WARREN

WOODHEAD

WOODWARD

YOUNG

RICHARDSON A

IF ANYONE KNOWS THESE PEOPLE AND THEY DO NOT HAVE ACCESS ON K9 PLEASE CAN YOU PASS THIS INFORMATION ON. IT WOULD BE A PITY TO TURN PEOPLE DOWN IF WE RUN OUT OF SPACES

REGARDS

DOREEN

The caravan camping list is getting pretty full now so if it is possible for the folling people to confirm their bookings it would be realy helpful

Sorry I have only got surnames

BENISTON

CAHILL

CHAPMAN

COPE

GORMLEY

JONES

RICHARDSON

SMITH

STAYTE

SYSON

WARD

WARREN

WOODHEAD

WOODWARD

YOUNG

RICHARDSON A

IF ANYONE KNOWS THESE PEOPLE AND THEY DO NOT HAVE ACCESS ON K9 PLEASE CAN YOU PASS THIS INFORMATION ON. IT WOULD BE A PITY TO TURN PEOPLE DOWN IF WE RUN OUT OF SPACES

REGARDS

DOREEN

Last edited by a moderator:
Dogs come 1st :thumbsup: so best decision made, Fordy is fantastic you'll love it

What a shame the racing has been cancelled at Devon but fully understandable if the track is not up to racing standard. The welfare of the dogs has obviously got to come first. Unfortunately some of us have booked at various sites in Devon and if these are cancelled deposits are lost. Well done to Fordingbridge for stepping in at short notice.

Just a suggestion but can the format of the racing be changed to reduce the number of journeys people have to make to Fordingbridge if they have booked on other sites? The Derby is normally run over 2 days. Would it be possible to run the finals on the Saturday so that people would only need to travel on the sunday if they wanted to run in the consolation derby? Or maybe run dogs one day and bitches the other? In the current ecomonic climate we are trying to encourage people into whippet racing but the numbers of people attending opens seems to be decreasing. Additional costs are not going to encourage people to travel.

Just my opinion and thoughts.

Back