The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Changes For The Better???

Come on Karen, don't be so modest :lol: .....I believe we both thought it :sweating: ....inspired by Vicky. :thumbsup: Still I think it could be worth a go and who knows, having the simpler system of running off scratch, 2lb weight groups in the maiden heats might even make it understandable for new racers.

id just like to explain wot i mean about time trials. i dont for one minute mean have the entire open as a time trial wot i mean is do wot weve done @ wallsend have your open but hold a time trial alongside it 4 peoples CLUB dogs. 4 instance next year wherever we go we take all 7 dogs 3 of those r retired. 1 is ok 2 race in opens and wins odd heat, the pups i wont know about till next year but digga whizz my club dog will be there with me anyway but i wont race her against flying machines but shes there anyway so if there was a time trial alongside the open i wud enter her. it doesnt cost u any more to do this if anything u wud make money.even if u just got 4 dogs thats 4 dogs more than wot u wudve had. :thumbsup:
See where your coming from Carole,but if you have alot of dogs in time trial races,that could take ages cause you've got to time them in first.This plus an open with lets say 50 dogs,and think you would be pushed for time.Me and my mate (Marie) have just had a lengthy discussion on the phone (we do this quite often :lol: ) and Marie came up with what I think would be a brill idea :thumbsup: Yes the day has to cater for 2 lots of racing,so imagine it would be a full day :sweating: but hows about we have an open,for everybody to enter should they wish,but for those who think there dog hasn't got a chance in there weight class then they could enter the Maiden (Vicky :thumbsup: ) open.This could be run in 2lb weight classes off scratch (level break) no mucking about with moving traps for yardage to be given.That would only come into play for run offs,just the same as champs.Then should your dog win it's class on lets say three different occasions,then you can move on to open racing.Think this could do away with yearling racing altogether,and just run one lot of puppy racing on the day.Don't know what folk think ,but I think it's a great idea Marie :thumbsup:
think youv got a good idea that could work karen only read it quick but sounds ok but dont forget a maiden is for a dog thats won nothing not for dogs to enter cos they might get beat in there class
Can't take the credit Chris it was Marie's idea.They'ld only be able to win 3 class wins,then theyl'd have to enter main opens instead.That way the maidens would be feeding the main opens,leaving others a chance of winning in the maidens :thumbsup:

Come on Karen, don't be so modest :lol: .....I believe we both thought it :sweating: ....inspired by Vicky. :thumbsup: Still I think it could be worth a go and who knows, having the simpler system of running off scratch, 2lb weight groups in the maiden heats might even make it understandable for new racers.
My input was 'off scratch' and i pinched that off Chris :lol:

think it could be a good idea marie not too sure about doing away with yearlings think its a big ask for a youngster just turned 12 months running off scr with the big girls and boys but having said that you could raise the pup age to say 15 month but give the younger end a lift as your in the same boat 9 month pup up against 15 month pup makes a big difference

My input was 'off scratch' and i pinched that off Chris :lol:
lol

id just like to explain wot i mean about time trials. i dont for one minute mean have the entire open as a time trial wot i mean is do wot weve done @ wallsend have your open but hold a time trial alongside it 4 peoples CLUB dogs. 4 instance next year wherever we go we take all 7 dogs 3 of those r retired. 1 is ok 2 race in opens and wins odd heat, the pups i wont know about till next year but digga whizz my club dog will be there with me anyway but i wont race her against flying machines but shes there anyway so if there was a time trial alongside the open i wud enter her. it doesnt cost u any more to do this if anything u wud make money.even if u just got 4 dogs thats 4 dogs more than wot u wudve had. :thumbsup:
See where your coming from Carole,but if you have alot of dogs in time trial races,that could take ages cause you've got to time them in first.This plus an open with lets say 50 dogs,and think you would be pushed for time.Me and my mate (Marie) have just had a lengthy discussion on the phone (we do this quite often :lol: ) and Marie came up with what I think would be a brill idea :thumbsup: Yes the day has to cater for 2 lots of racing,so imagine it would be a full day :sweating: but hows about we have an open,for everybody to enter should they wish,but for those who think there dog hasn't got a chance in there weight class then they could enter the Maiden (Vicky :thumbsup: ) open.This could be run in 2lb weight classes off scratch (level break) no mucking about with moving traps for yardage to be given.That would only come into play for run offs,just the same as champs.Then should your dog win it's class on lets say three different occasions,then you can move on to open racing.Think this could do away with yearling racing altogether,and just run one lot of puppy racing on the day.Don't know what folk think ,but I think it's a great idea Marie :thumbsup:
think youv got a good idea that could work karen only read it quick but sounds ok but dont forget a maiden is for a dog thats won nothing not for dogs to enter cos they might get beat in there class
Can't take the credit Chris it was Marie's idea.They'ld only be able to win 3 class wins,then theyl'd have to enter main opens instead.That way the maidens would be feeding the main opens,leaving others a chance of winning in the maidens :thumbsup:
can see what you mean but can't see that working cos there would only be an handful of dogs in main open the only dogs that should run in maidens are none winners

can see what you mean but can't see that working cos there would only be an handful of dogs in main open the only dogs that should run in maidens are none winners

I understand what you're saying but if one class win means people have to move up to the main open, then I think it should only be a win against competition, if its a solo then it shouldn't count. Otherwise people could be back to racing top open class dogs they can't compete against. I also think if people want to go straight into the main open then thats up to them

You can win a class by running a solo,doesn't mean the dog is capable of holding it's own in the main open,but if you restrict the amount of wins for those who enter to 2 or 3 class wins (not solos)then they should move up into the main opens.Also dogs who have run and won in main opens,would not be able to enter,in the first place (hence maiden)

I understand what you're saying but if one class win means people have to move up to the main open, then I think it should only be a win against competition, if its a solo then it shouldn't count. Otherwise people could be back to racing top open class dogs they can't compete against. I also think if people want to go straight into the main open then thats up to them
totally agree marie the only thing is that it cant be used for people to go to an open and see whats in there class what they cant beat so go in the maiden

totally agree marie the only thing is that it cant be used for people to go to an open and see whats in there class what they cant beat so go in the maiden
lol i've just answered that Chris.If they've won in opens they can't enter maidens in the first place

You can win a class by running a solo,doesn't mean the dog is capable of holding it's own in the main open,but if you restrict the amount of wins for those who enter to 2 or 3 class wins (not solos)then they should move up into the main opens.Also dogs who have run and won in main opens,would not be able to enter,in the first place (hence maiden)
why dint you say that in first place then david lol

I would say that if the dog has won an open class (not solo) then it can't go in maiden

why dint you say that in first place then david lol
I thought I did,but obviously I didn't :lol:

the thing is years ago folks had open class dogs wich were good enough for opens big turnouts too .also club dogs wich also had great turnouts .but now everyone goes open racing as there are too few folks compared to even 10 year ago in the sport .....no one nowadays defines the the diference between open class and club level the only way i could see any improvement is in more folk joining the sport maybe we should make the best of what we got and hope it improves i think all ideas should be looked into carefully :thumbsup:

I would say that if the dog has won an open class (not solo) then it can't go in maiden
got 2 davids now lol

personally i think the maiden idea is a great one. keep the pups though please @ 12 months old all pups shud IMO be 12 months and under also keep yearlings racing and veterans. your maided open is for dogs that havent won @ an open and im my case will probably be unlikely to win @ an open. i also like to fact of saying it cant win more than 3 times u may even only win once but that in itself wud b great imo. do it off scratch or wotever the main open is do it the same weight class. IMO its a good idea but will have to be thought thru properly. also dont include a solo win as a win. ive alrwady had a few of them with jakki whizz.

as for getting people involved IMO people will only get involved if they want to regardless of advertising etc although it wudnt hurt. the only thing with newcomers is some people are reluctant to sell them pups as we dont know anything about them will your pup be ok? wil it race? etc etc. 3 of my pups went to lads that used to race packed in and now have came back into it. :thumbsup:

also for a while now ive been thinking of doing some kind of booklet on racing @ the rising sun only thing is i dont know how to print it off on the new pc. so if anyone had any ideas how icud do that for free wud b great. :thumbsup:

the thing is years ago folks had open class dogs wich were good enough for opens big turnouts too .also club dogs wich also had great turnouts .but now everyone goes open racing as there are too few folks compared to even 10 year ago in the sport .....no one nowadays defines the the diference between open class and club level the only way i could see any improvement is in more folk joining the sport maybe we should make the best of what we got and hope it improves i think all ideas should be looked into carefully :thumbsup:
Think if we sit back and hope Gaz,whippet racing will die a death (yd a lb) The only thing thats growing is scratch racing,and I don't believe,thats just because greyhounds are being used regularly.Greyhounds have always been used,the difference being that we now cater for the bigger dogs where as before they were passed on to others outside of whippets for there relevant sports or work.I think if you was to ask big dog owners why they like scratch racing I think majority would answer because it's level break.First over the line,with no yardage given.Newcomers into the sport must find the handicapping a nightmare at first.Think this maiden racing would make it alot easier to understand,and a nice cushion to work off :thumbsup:

personally i dont think theres any less people in the sport that wot there was 10 years ago gaz thing is theres no more either. there has been some newcomers in the sport but theyve kind of replaced those who have packed in or sadly passed away. i wud say theres about the same amount racing. cant believe when i 1st started i said il never have more than one then il never have more than 2 now ive got bloody 7!!!! lol it was nearly 9!!!! (w00t)

Think if we sit back and hope Gaz,whippet racing will die a death (yd a lb) The only thing thats growing is scratch racing,and I don't believe,thats just because greyhounds are being used regularly.Greyhounds have always been used,the difference being that we now cater for the bigger dogs where as before they were passed on to others outside of whippets for there relevant sports or work.I think if you was to ask big dog owners why they like scratch racing I think majority would answer because it's level break.First over the line,with no yardage given.Newcomers into the sport must find the handicapping a nightmare at first.Think this maiden racing would make it alot easier to understand,and a nice cushion to work off :thumbsup:

yup karen thats why i like scratch racing best always have done. all off levels no start imo is the best racing makes it much more exciting 4 me to watch a race all of levels than a dog giving 4yds start away to a flying machine. a timed race however is different as it goes off the dogs time so u may very well be giving 4 yds start in a timed race but by rights it shud b close.

Back