The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Bwra Championship Venue

wherever it goes any track is going to have to be watered lets hope we have volunteers like we did for the fed champs like Linda and Les :thumbsup:

mutley said:
wherever it goes any track is going to have to be watered lets hope we have volunteers like we did for the fed champs like Linda and Les :thumbsup:
I don't think Kirkaldy will need watered,I can safely say there is 100% chance of rain between now and the end of August. Is it true that Kirkaldy track is the only BWRA affiliated purpose built track in Britain ?

yes Danny your right, well i can't think of another, :thumbsup:

The Southern Region has young enthusiastic members with families who train their dogs for the chance of a championship who would not have the money or leave from work to travel all the way to Scotland, it would kill the championships stone dead and I thought this was why the BWRA was formed in order that ALL regions complete against each other and consider others as well as their own region but from what I have read this is not the case.

At the moment we have at least forty or more members, a lot with young families with more youngsters wanting puppies and was I wrong being under the impression that it was the younger generation we wanted to encourage to join our sport so that it did not die completely, but I am sure with the attitude of putting the championships out of their reach the complete opposite will happen. All of the members that I have spoken to on this subject are not prepared to travel to Scotland most can't afoord to travel to Newton Aycliffe for the Derby or though they would love to complete, and without all the regions completing how can it be a true championship?

One of the reasons we have not put Thurrock forward is because we feel it is unfair to racers North of the border, if they chose to come to an open this would be their choice but by putting the championships out of peoples reach you are forcing them to accept what their given or go without.

Last edited by a moderator:
aw006m7593 said:
The Southern Region has young enthusiastic members with families who train their dogs for the chance of a championship who would not have the money or leave from work to travel all the way to Scotland, it would kill the championships stone dead and I thought this was why the BWRA was formed in order that ALL regions complete against each other and consider others as well as their own region but from what I have read this is not the case.

At the moment we have at least forty or more members, a lot with young families with more youngsters wanting puppies and was I wrong being under the impression that it was the younger generation we wanted to encourage to join our sport so that it did not die completely, but I am sure with the attitude of putting the championships out of their reach the complete opposite will happen. All of the members that I have spoken to on this subject are not prepared to travel to Scotland most can't afoord to travel to Newton Aycliffe for the Derby or though they would love to complete, and without all the regions completing how can it be a true championship?

One of the reasons we have not put Thurrock forward is because we feel it is unfair to racers North of the border, if they chose to come to an open this would be their choice but by putting the championships out of peoples reach you are forcing them to accept what their given or go without.

well said Sheila the fairest venue that is available appears to Swallownest for this year.

The N.N.W.R.F. committee do need to know A.S.A.P if the B.W.R.A. wish to use Swallownest so we can have time to get it ready as none of us live on the doorstep.

Well said Sheila - you hit the "nail right on the head" with your comments generally.

I heard this morning that part of Yorkshire were without water, owing to a serge in water supplies, which has caused burst pipes. With the weather being as it is at present (and we all love the summer months) and a "hose pipe ban" is brought into force - how can "any" track be made "acceptable for racing".

There must be problems with water shortage "country wide" with no rain in over a month. For the first time I can ever remember last night our water supply to the house was down to a "trickle" for a couple of hours during the evening, again this must have been due to demand.

I hope the BWRA can sort out a venue ASAP and one that if safe for the dogs, which to me should have top priority. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
we will have to race at the seaside on the sands tide will water that

steve

aw006m7593 said:

I'm sorry but we too have young members who can't afford to travel but I was thinking of the dogs which I thought was paramount.

I think most regions have got young members ...and alot relay on others taken them ..i know more than anyone else ...Gaz and myself took young Darren & Scott (cosmic dust & jocks lass) when ever they were stuck for a lift

I just hope that common sense is used in this situation and a track is found as central as possible even if it means holding it over 2 separate days , i am sure theres plenty of camp sites about where people can camp

aw006m7593 said:

Hadn't looked at it like that tbh - you are right in what you say though, everyone needs to have a decent crack at whip and i don't think anyone wants to win titles against poor competition.

aw006m7593 said:

I agree the Championships should be central so that all members have the same chance to race against the best in their class so to do that the championships should be as central as possible to the member who lives furthest north and south but in my opinion that has never been the case in my time in whippet racing. A race lasts 8.?? seconds and anything can happen that's racing but the point has been made about not racing against the best how would anyone feel if the whippet they wanted their whippet to race against was not able to because the championships were out of reach if the other whippet's owners were to far north or south.

We also have new members with young family's that we are trying to get into whippet racing and it's hard enough with all the travelling involved for open's and event's the one thing that we could sell was the chance to get those three letters before their dog's racing name but the further south the championships go the harder it will be to get new members involved.

Yes the Scottish Region put a track forward after all at the start of the year both Straight Championships did not have a venue which was resolved but due to nobody's fault another venue was required and we were happy to help out if we could.

Back