The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Bwra Agm

DavidH said:
stuart worcs said:
kipper fluke said:
Do they stop Children from entering into -
athletics/running/swimming/tennis/gymnastics/football? ?????

Answer --Definately NO-------Quite the reverse-it is a must to be successesful--

Is Sport of any kind is recomended at a very early age--Answer --YES

When did any of you reading this see the Fat kid in the playground winning a race ?

Answer---- NEVER

When do you read about high perfomers in any sport starting at a late stage in thier lives ?--

Answer ---NOT VERY OFTEN--

You train your body muscles/joints/tendons/etc to cope with the extra strain/work ---

good luck to the lad in the nationals 3300m :luck:   :luck:   :thumbsup:

The truth is we are all different the way we grow/mature --

same with dogs--

Some dogs have the extra of whatever? ---

which means?

They can perform much earlier than others ---

Steve

well my pup can

run ok

done a bit of swimming

jumps up n down,class that as gymnastics

runs round with a football

not mastered the art of tennis yet tho

:D :clown: :D

ON A SERIOUS NOTE THO

SCHOOLS DONT START THE COMPETITIVE SPORTS

EARLY ALL STARTS OFF AS A BIT OF FUN

IN A DOG ID CLASS IT AS FREE RUNNING

last coment run for fun, free running.build up to schooling :thumbsup: . always free run from 12 weeks,let them do there own thing and build it up as they grow like kids,but put a dog behind a lure and they will give 120% to catch it and thats when the trouble starts:thumbsup:

good look to the lad in the national 3300m,bet your proud of him :luck:

yes thanks alot :thumbsup:

Stienman was 8 and half months old when he got his first bend title and just a year old when he took his first supreme.He was a dog on his own all other dogs i have owned have never been so early. Sriesand was 15 months old before he started running and 2 years old befor he took his first sureme. So i agree all dogs are differant and come to there own at differant times. :)

nova said:
Stienman was 8 and half months old when he got his first bend title and just a year old when he took his first supreme.He was a dog on his own all other dogs i have owned have never been so early. Sriesand was 15 months old before he started running and 2 years old befor he took his first sureme. So i agree all dogs are differant and come to there own at differant times. :)
well i was'nt far out tam :lol: :thumbsup:

sherry said:
sadieandco said:
I think that all pups are differnt and they should be trained for racing when the owners think they are ready!!!I also dont think its fair for somebody else saying when a pup is ready to race or not!!

I think pups injuring themselves at racing has alot to do with before they are even trained...I think that all pups should have loads of free running first!

we wont even think about trialing a dog behind a lure unless it can hold its legs free running this is a good indication of if a pup is ready in my eyes if it can hold its legs running on a uneven ground then give it a little slip if it looks strong enough its ready if it loses its legs a lot it isnt ready!!!

It comes down to peoples common sense with their dogs!

I myslef dont think the age for pups should be changed a vet wouldnt say o yes thats a racing dog thats a pup till its 14 month old but hey joe bloggs you got a lab hes a pup till hes 12 month hahaha    :blink:

totally agree with u there shaz :thumbsup:

maybe that why the age wants lifting,for the people that lack of common sence.a lot of folks no what they doing,and some havnt a clue,dog welfare at the end of the day. :thumbsup:

And what about the people who have got common sense and have got their pups going at "pup age" it isnt fair on them is it????

Surley its only fair to let the owners decide when they see fit to run there pups...!!

i think when to race pup,s will always be a hot topic ,,,, as people have there own veiws and ways

i.e at 6 months,,,or 8 months , 10 months and so on e.t.c

what ever people decide,,iam sure they will put the intrest and the safety of the whippets 1st :cheers:

intresting topic thou,,,and iam sure will be debated in the future year,s :thumbsup:

sadieandco said:
And what about the people who have got common sense and have got their pups going at "pup age" it isnt fair on them is it????Surley its only fair to let the owners decide when they see fit to run there pups...!!

the age limit is to try to get folks to start there dogs later,so it gives them time to get set up,i.m.o i like to take my time and they start in the yearling.

why not do away with the pups just have the yearlings 12 to 18 month.

why should a pup be racing at 8 month,responsible owner or not,beats me nothing to gain in puppy racing, but a lot to loose as you would like to get 4/ 5years out of them :thumbsup:

must admit there are some clever folks that seem to get theres going at a very early age :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
DavidH said:
sadieandco said:
And what about the people who have got common sense and have got their pups going at "pup age" it isnt fair on them is it????Surley its only fair to let the owners decide when they see fit to run there pups...!!

the age limit is to try to get folks to start there dogs later,so it gives them time to get set up,i.m.o i like to take my time and they start in the yearling.

why should a pup be racing at 8 month,responsible owner or not,beats me nothing to gain in puppy racing, but a lot to loose as you would like to get 4/ 5years out of them :thumbsup:

ill be honest ,,,my dogs dont get full distance from trap to finish line till there a least 10 months plus,,,i did race one of my dog,s a little early at 8month,,,and noticied he had an imflamed toe,,,vet told me that was done by repetive training,,,,and in the past when i 1st came to racing with me old man,,i started a dog,s earlyier i,e--- 6/7months,,,,i noticed they were burnt out by 3years,,,,,????????( was it because i started them to early or raced them to much,or bad luck,????,,,,,up here it wasnt over racing ,,,so it must have been ( too early or bad luck )

thats all i will say now on this topic now :D i think in future things will change when pups are concered,,,just my thought,s on it folks,, :thumbsup:

whippeteerThe1st said:
DavidH said:
sadieandco said:

honest ,,,my dogs dont get full distance from trap to finish line till there a least 10 months plus,,,i did race one of my dog,s a little early at 8month,,,and noticied he had an imflamed toe,,,vet told me that was done by repetive training,,,,and in the past when i 1st came to racing with me old man,,i started a dog,s earlyier i,e--- 6/7months,,,,i noticed they were burnt out by 3years,,,,,????????( was it because i started them to early or raced them to much,or bad luck,????,,,,,up here it wasnt over racing ,,,so it must have been ( too early or bad luck )

thats all i will say now on this topic now :D i think in future things will change when pups are concered,,,just my thought,s on it folks,, :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: cant say much more :luck: :luck:

well acca was trailling round bends at 8 months and at 5 and half can still give the adults a run :thumbsup: so like i said they all different :thumbsup: why do away with puppy racing when some are ready to actually run as ive said some in yearlings in past still not ready to race :- "

Was gunna say the same thing Chris!

Some pups are ready some are not so why Make the ones that are ready to race wait ????

I say leave things alone to much is trying to be changed in whippet racing !!

go on chris , your the first to bite, :thumbsup: though saying do away with the pups would get a few tapping.

acca is still a very very good bitch, and roddy has to give her a yard on sat (w00t)

hows about making it a race chris and give me 4 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :luck:

:- "

DavidH said:
go on chris , your the first to bite, :thumbsup: though saying do away with the pups would get a few tapping. acca is still a very very good bitch, and roddy has to give her a yard on sat (w00t)

hows about making it a race chris and give me 4 :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   :luck:

ill think about it lol :- "

i think he will wonder what he is behind, she has some finish.

hopefully if he gets out he will be able to keep you in sight.he can only do his best,against a classy bitch.

best of luck dave :thumbsup: :luck:

DavidH said:
go on chris , your the first to bite, :thumbsup: though saying do away with the pups would get a few tapping. acca is still a very very good bitch, and roddy has to give her a yard on sat (w00t)

hows about making it a race chris and give me 4 :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   :luck:

only 4 dave (w00t)

maybe if you think its cruel running pups we should stop running vets too as if they to young surely they too old :D

Back