The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Affix

Juley

Grand Mistress
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always interested in how someone chooses an affix, mine " Stormburst" was about choice number four and I thought of it as we then lived by the sea and were always watching storms out at sea. I did like Starburst but some irritating person called their sweets that. Why did you choose yours?

nice topic. Yialousa is the cypriot name for a village in Northern Cyprus where my husband's father was born. we were lucky enough to visit and it is so beautiful, lovely beach and clear blue sea.

it was our first choice so we was lucky

My affix 'Dorwest' is actually my Mums which I now have an interest in :D She has had the affix since the early 70's and was used in 2 other breeds before now being used for my whippets.

Derohan ........... my great grandmother was French and it is the distaff family name (de Rohan actually) my Mum and my sisters have it as their middle name but I only have the one forename so I asked my Mum if I could use it for my affix.

Nice topic

Well I had several reasons to take Boxing Helena's

It came after watching the movie, where a man is so in love with a woman he is willing to do everything to keep her. ( for those who have seen the film, the man even cutted of the woman's legs and arms so she had to stay with him )

Well, some days later this movie was still in my mind.

When it came to choose a kennelname, the name came back in my mind, as I feel also this strong love for my whippets ( with legs .... :) )

And i find a whippet strong and elegant.

For me the Boxing part sounds very strong, and the Helena parts sounds elegant ( besides Helena was the most beautifull woman in the Greek times )

Helena... comming from Greek times brings it also back to those who took the sighthounds to us.

I must say until today I am very happy to have this name as I also hear a lot of times, people remind this name easily.

The funny part is , when I sometimes take of the phone, people ask me " is it Helena speaking ? " :D

Ours is about our 8th choice!! originally we had wanted Keshena meaning "swift in flight" as our company name is Kestral, we were keeping with the bird of prey theme and whippets to us are certainly swift, we were not allowed just keshena so we added Lana, meaning "My Child" which our whippets are like to us, so Lanakeshena means "My Child Swift In Flight" :D

the original one dad and i wanted was sheltanlee which was the name all our horses have been bred under or added to names, we couldnt have that so a play around with names and addresses and came up with HighIsland, the family home is on High Mill Road and we live in Cobholm which is in fact an Island so hence HighIsland

mine , saraquele is the angel of everlasting hope and love un endending ,

its meaning is " i am "

with the whippets i have endless love for them and i hope they for me , so i thought it was appropriate for whippies :wub:

My kennel name" Windsdream" was my first choice.

I chose it because my husband mark is a very keen windsurfer, and you have to have wind and lots of it to do this sport.

Whippets run like the Wind and are a Dream to watch, hence Windsdream :thumbsup:

Good topic Juley.

From the twins my first two whippets Callie and Sienna

Calenna :)

Denimonde =DE....Debs,NI.....Nigel(my oh),MONDE.....Ormond,our surname.

This was my 2nd choice,i wanted denimond but for some strange reason it wasn't allowed :wacko:

Knuzery (silent K)

Owned by my dad since 1940 approx. I have had it since my parents stopped showing but I have not used it, always intended to use it on dogs I bred myself but now considering whether to add it to my two boys' registrations, we'll see.

Jenny

iv only just got my affix :D my first choice was peteena for pete & teena but someone allready had it :blink: so i ended up with my 2nd choice( lawleymoon )

and i choose this because my first whippet harvey was allways called harvey MOON + he come from a place called LAWLEY.

I'm really loving this topic, and would like to put another question to everyone about affixes if I may :b

Say you wanted to have your own affix, but knew that you had no intention to breed yourself (e.g. you only kept boys (w00t) ) I know you can add the affix to a 'bought in' dog, but can you do this anyway you like?

i.e. blahblahblah at your affix

or blahblahblah with your affix

or blahblahblah for your affix

or blahblahblah in your affix

where blahblahblah denotes the KC registered name (which could well include the affix of the breeder you are purchasing from)

I don't know if I'm making myself clear, or if I'm just making an idiot of myself :b but I suppose I just need to know if there are only set words you could use like at and for or whether you have a bit of dicretion :- "

Thanks in advance, and sorry for waffling on (w00t)

we wanted Oakmoore but couldn't have it so settled for oakmoorehill as we live in oakhill and our surname is moore really I wanted to get rid of an o and the e but as we took it out at crufts and they were going through all the names to tell us if there was anything similar I forgot so now we have 2 o's and an e :oops:

There are set joining words. I think they are. AT, FOR WITH, OVER, AROUND, AVEC AND CUM. There may be a couple more. I liked to have different ones before I bred my own litter.

Juley said:
There are set joining words. I think they are. AT, FOR WITH, OVER, AROUND, AVEC AND CUM.  There may be a couple more. I liked to have different ones before I bred my own litter.

Oooh 'Avec' :- "

Thanks for your help Juley, much appreciated :thumbsup:

Molecat. I used to walk a round trip of about 4 miles with the Whippets. Up Mole Street and around Cat Lane in Ockley, Surrey where I used to live. :b

Chelynnah is a combination of all 3 of our girls that together we call our foundation bitches.

Chel at the beginning from Chelsea (who got us into whippets being a whippet/terier mix and all the personality of a whippet)

elyn in the middle from Telyn (who will be our first one we breed)

nnah at the end from Savannah (our first whippet)

And they all run into each other to form the name Chelynnah

Both the girls are currently 'of Chelynnah'. We dithered between of and with, and finally setted for of.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is a mix of surnames PENNANCE and CLEAVER,mine and my bestist friend Heather we are now in partenership, Heather keeps bitches and me dogs and as we live only 10 mins away from each other we hope it will be lots of fun!!!!!!! :huggles: :huggles: jan

Back