The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Would You Put Your Dog Through Surgery

Make an informed choice on ONE article?
Your the academic. Ever written a paper on just one article? Made informed choices before on just one point of view? I carry 2 bachelor degrees (one with honors) plus 1 postgraduate so I guess I can call myself an academic as well and I certainly wouldn't make any informed choices based on one article. If the mods pin the article then make sure they pin articles highlighting the other arguement for people to peruse.

I wish I could link the 30 papers I have that favour the otherside of this argument but ebsco host won't let me link journal articles directly from the Deakin University library site. People can do their own research.

Here is one article from a journal that I could get off the internet HERE

I found plenty of abstracts and references to the links I like but I prefer to use academic databases.

I reiterate. I'm not here to change peoples minds on anything. Read as much as you can on both sides of this arguement and make your choices. It's not an informed decision when you read just one article from one side. Some people will explore and some will still have their head firmly impanted into the sand.
I can only agree with you ... but the 'one article', unlike many, at least gives pros and cons and, again unlike many, is easy for the layman to understand, even if you consider it biased. I can't link via academic databases either, as I've said before, but fine, let's have a thread for as many pinned articles as we can link to, whichever 'side' they're from. You are very clearly pro early spay/neuter, I am clearly anti, but I'm not trying to do any more than put the debate 'out there' as it were, just as you claim to be. Are you a veterinary scientist? I'm not. Can either of us be sure we are getting it 'right'? We have certainly strayed far from the OP's question.

Annie

I don't think Annie was suggesting that people use only one article, merely that it could be added to the debate.

I think this is turning into a 'let's find a picky point in someone's post and make and issue of it' debate rather than a deabte about the actual issue.

If I got silly over every academic point and glaring grammatical error ;) , I'd be here all day. Forget the 'barbaric' thing. For the love of God, why are people getting hung up over one word? You'd have to be a robot to leave gut instinct and human response out of the debate. Some people are pro-early spay, for whatever reason. Others, like myself, have yet to be convinced and prefer to let our dogs develop before we consider neutering. I don't think any of us are going to convince the other side, but we do need to make sure all the available evidence is there for people who don't yet have an opinion.

Let's look at something less contentious. Like greyhound racing..... :)

Let's look at something less contentious
Because the original post was a contentious issue to start with!

Isnt this what forums are about? Yes we get off topic, yes people get picky, but its a discussion none the less, those who want to respond and put their opinion forward will, those who dont want to respond to the topic - dont have to! ;)

Let's look at something less contentious
Because the original post was a contentious issue to start with!

Isnt this what forums are about? Yes we get off topic, yes people get picky, but its a discussion none the less, those who want to respond and put their opinion forward will, those who dont want to respond to the topic - dont have to! ;)

Um. I got that. I was being sarcastic. :-

I was just pointing out that by picking on the wrong things we are not actually discussing the topic - which means people in future looking at this thread for answers will have to wade through lots of useless posts to find any. This one included.

I have heard from a very reputable member of the whippet community that there was a time when vets were asked to scrape the ears of whippets if they had very thick ears which would tend to prick up. These days I think the ears of whippets tend to be finer (thinner) so it is perhaps not so much of a problem. At least I hope so. . . . Ghastly, even thinking about it!!

I have heard from a very reputable member of the whippet community that there was a time when vets were asked to scrape the ears of whippets if they had very thick ears which would tend to prick up. These days I think the ears of whippets tend to be finer (thinner) so it is perhaps not so much of a problem. At least I hope so. . . . Ghastly, even thinking about it!!
ouch!! :(

Back