The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Working Lurchers

BOBTHATSME123

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

im thinking of buying my first working dog,

if possible could you advise me what is the best breed for working rabbits with/without ferrets. Are pure greys and whippits good enough,

any help much appreciated,

thanks.

:thumbsup:

it all depends on wot ground your going to be running the dog on, to wot type of dog you want to be looking at ..

for a first time dog personally id advice you to go for a collie x grey as these are easy to train can be ran on almost any ground conditions and are generally a good sturdy dog..

if your running small fields and doing alot of ferreting a whippet or whippet x grey will do fine also BUT check the feet on the dog or on the parents if your getting a pup as some whippets and whippet x's tend to have poor feet .. and also you need to think about the thin skins whippety dogs have ... you dont want an easy tearing skinned dog if your gonna be doing ferreting around brambles/winney bushes your just going to be asking for trouble ..

like i say id advice collie x grey but at the end of the day you need to choose a dog YOU like and not wot everyone else does. look at a few litters and see wot takes your fancy is a good idea to do aswell.

CHID

showed this to hubby he said old wives tales

most whippets do not tear their skin that said ours ar all scared but they are worked evryday and even when they retrieve foxs for him although they get bitten they do not tear.

he also said whippets have the 2nd best feet of a running dog next to a saluki.

Collie hybrids especially first crosses can be nervous and nuerotic or both (not all) and said if he was to advise some one of a LURCHER as a first dog then he says beddy grey or beddy whipps are a good start(no we dont keep or ever have kept beddy crosses).

This thread interested me, also asked my father in law, and he said more than 25% collie is to much.Told him what Darren said , and he said yeah but can be smelly if kept in the house if the coat gets wet or dirty, then replied "whats wrong with a pure whippet?"

this will be my first working lurcher. thanks for all your help, im not much of a collie lover amazing at wot they do jst not for me. beddy x sounds good like the idear of a terrier in the blood. the dog would be working on all types of ground so i would like an all rounder. Has anyone here had experience with beddy/grey lurchers. Pure whippit sounds good, not worked alot near me so neva seen them work only race,

once again thank you for your help,

rob. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
u wont go far wrong with a good beddy greyhound . my mates breed and work them and they take a varied amount of game . but its up to the individual . one mans type may not suit anothers . its show season now so get out to a few , have a look and ask people about their lurchers . but just remember a lurcher is for life whatever u decide on so think long and hard . :thumbsup:

thats why i said one mans type dont suit everyone . . ive never kept whippets so i wont comment on sumthing i know nothing about . we all got our faves crosses . ive had collie x and had no problems at all . so its up to the guy buying at end of day and what game hes going to want to take . . i hope you do find sumthing mate and enjoy it whatever its cross . :thumbsup:

u wont go far wrong with a good beddy greyhound . my mates breed and work them and they take a varied amount of game . but its up to the individual . one mans type may not suit anothers . its show season now so get out to a few , have a look and ask people about their lurchers . but just remember a lurcher is for life whatever u decide on so think long and hard . :thumbsup:
Excellent advice here :thumbsup:

Are you planning on buying a ready trained working lurcher or getting a pup, Bob?

The main thing is that the dog suits you so that you are happy working together forever. Take you time, and end up with the right working companion :luck:

i've removed a couple of post's.

please fell free to descuss issues but please refrain from making personal remarks.

Get a pup out of parents that are proven workers !

Wont go far wrong with a good collie greyhound :thumbsup:

Hi there,
im thinking of buying my first working dog,

if possible could you advise me what is the best breed for working rabbits with/without ferrets. Are pure greys and whippits good enough,

any help much appreciated,

thanks.

:thumbsup:
my advice:1/2 bred whipet greyhound lke my uncles good workin dog and not tooooooo rough just perfect for rabbits.

it all depends on wot ground your going to be running the dog on, to wot type of dog you want to be looking at ..for a first time dog personally id advice you to go for a collie x grey as these are easy to train can be ran on almost any ground conditions and are generally a good sturdy dog..

if your running small fields and doing alot of ferreting a whippet or whippet x grey will do fine also BUT check the feet on the dog or on the parents if your getting a pup as some whippets and whippet x's tend to have poor feet .. and also you need to think about the thin skins whippety dogs have ... you dont want an easy tearing skinned dog if your gonna be doing ferreting around brambles/winney bushes your just going to be asking for trouble ..

like i say id advice collie x grey but at the end of the day you need to choose a dog YOU like and not wot everyone else does. look at a few litters and see wot takes your fancy is a good idea to do aswell.

CHID
the only thing about a colieXgrey when a rabbit puts it under preasher it lets out.

xx

CHID

the only thing about a colieXgrey when a rabbit puts it under preasher it lets out.

xx

This isn't the case with all Collie/Greyhounds, it can apply to all types, We keep Collie/Greys alway's have done and alway's will, we've never had this problem. As long as they have plenty of work, you'll get rewarded with a good allrounder.

it all depends on wot ground your going to be running the dog on, to wot type of dog you want to be looking at ..for a first time dog personally id advice you to go for a collie x grey as these are easy to train can be ran on almost any ground conditions and are generally a good sturdy dog..

CHID

xx

Thats only bullsh*t if a dog is entered to the game right and kept fit theyll be perfect !

Hello. I'm a fellow first time lurcher owner, and i opted for a bedlington x whippet who i wanted for ferreting and a bit of rough shooting. He's now a year old and is develping into a great little worker- ideal for what we want. He has been easy to train and is also a great house dog and family pet. He also a bit tougher perhaps than pure whippets and cus his coat is thick he can go through hedgerows without danger of getting cut- he does however come out with most of the hedge attached to him!

Good luck finding your perfect dog- i'm sure once you've got one lurcher you'll be wanting more!!!

Hello. I'm a fellow first time lurcher owner, and i opted for a bedlington x whippet who i wanted for ferreting and a bit of rough shooting. He's now a year old and is develping into a great little worker- ideal for what we want. He has been easy to train and is also a great house dog and family pet. He also a bit tougher perhaps than pure whippets and cus his coat is thick he can go through hedgerows without danger of getting cut- he does however come out with most of the hedge attached to him!
Good luck finding your perfect dog- i'm sure once you've got one lurcher you'll be wanting more!!!

yep me too although quite often with a pheasant or bunny too :thumbsup: :oops:

Back