The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Why 150 Yards?

can't see the point of this debate anyway :angry:
al 2nd that john,seems to me to many new people wanting to much and they havent even ran dogs yet,wait wach and learn like we all have done,or are you new to the sport? :wacko:

:angry: I resent that, as a new comer to the sport, (what makes you an expert of the sport?) how the hell can us new comers learn if we are afraid to ask a simple question, and as Nebian has said, they don't want to change anything,

I suppose you will have a go at me now. (w00t) from Diane a newcomer to the sport and not afraid to say so.

welcome to whippet racing :teehee: :thumbsup: but i think kenny has a point there are too many people trying to change a great sport :)) and i didnt say that new comer word :sweating: it is a good topic but its getting silly now :wacko: we should all enjoy what we allready have ;) jak said in another topic altering the distance would make people breed bigger and i agree :)) the ones who usually want the format changed is for there own purpose , dont mean nubian either think he had some good views but dont think saying the sport should change things is really a great start for someone just getting into the game :luck: :luck: to everyone for 2009 oldies and newbies :teehee:

al 2nd that john,seems to me to many new people wanting to much and they havent even ran dogs yet,wait wach and learn like we all have done,or are you new to the sport? :wacko:

:angry: I resent that, as a new comer to the sport, (what makes you an expert of the sport?) how the hell can us new comers learn if we are afraid to ask a simple question, and as Nebian has said, they don't want to change anything,

I suppose you will have a go at me now. (w00t) from Diane a newcomer to the sport and not afraid to say so.
resent what you want,welcome to the sport,i have put plenty of miles in to have my say,oh and anyone will tell you i will help anyone, :angry:

I've read over this topic several times and noted answers etc. to the original question but i'm unsure what you are trying to actually find out.

"The test should be not based on which dogs trap best but on which dogs are fastest. Having a fast trapper does not ultimately mean that you have the fastest dog" your quote is very true but if you have a fast trapper and a fast dog and luck on your side you have a 'winner' and ultimately we are racing and competing against other dogs so this is the outcome we are all hoping for. We are not actually running solo as a test to see which dog comes out with the top speed alone, the dogs compete in a race and in a race lots of factors have to come together to get the winning result :thumbsup: and different dogs over different distances will bring about different results :thumbsup:

resent what you want,welcome to the sport,i have put plenty of miles in to have my say,oh and anyone will tell you i will help anyone, :angry:

Well Kenny m if i have any questions about the sport i will personally pm you and see if you give me any help in the future, :thumbsup: Diane

Well Kenny m if i have any questions about the sport i will personally pm you and see if you give me any help in the future, :thumbsup: Diane
dont bother,you will know more than i do, ;)

dont bother,you will know more than i do, ;)
What makes you say that then?? i have never raced a non ped yet, (w00t) Diane

It would be interesting to see if dogs do actually reach their top speed over 150yd - we need someone like Tony now. The fact that a few dogs struggle with the stopping distance makes me think they do, i've always felt that mine have, although some will reach it faster than others, for me bend racing is about them reaching their top speed and being able to maintain it, dogs do win bend races purely by the fact they are so fast away and can probably afford to fade a little bit down the back straight.

It depends on the size of the dog.Any top class dog 16-32lbs definately reaches its top speed within 150yds. If dogs do... fade down the back straight this proves that it is too far for them. If a dog misses the traps on the bends it can still win.[this is not proper racing for me]

A true test of a fast dog is on the straights, where it must do everything right or the race is lost. It must trap & maintain its top speed till it is over the winning line.[im talking about normal whippets 16-32lbs]
FACT IS ON THE STRAITS, IF A DOG SLIGHTLY MISSES THE LID, THEN IT USUALLY HAS NO CHANCE TO GET BACK UP THERE OVER AN 8.5 SECOND RACE... AND BECAUSE THEY ALL COME OUT OF THE TRAPS FROM KICKBOARDS THAT ARE NOT ALL MADE TO THE SAME STANDARD , PROBABLY EXPLAINS WHY SOME DOGS ARE AT AN ADVANTAGE OVER OTHERS....BUT IF ALL DOGS WERE TRAPPING FROM FLAT RUBBER MATS, THEN THEY WOULD ALL HAVE A MORE EVEN CHANCE, BUT THEN THAT WOULD BE TO EASY, AND A LOT OF PEOPLE WOULD BE UPSET COS THEY WOULD THINK THAT THEY HAD LOST THERE ADVANTAGE.....AND THIS IS ALSO TRUE...

Dont see what the problem is about asking questions and indeed questioning how whippet racing is run and has been run. If anybody is that big headed that they think it will always remain the same then god help the sport. Just accept people will always wonder if there is a different way of doing things. If the "old hands" get so het up about people questioning why racing works the way it does, then maybe it is time for a change, and maybe, like it does at newton aycliffe and other clubs, it should be varied to give everyone a chance to see what differences can be made. For me a champion whippet is one that can do everything, not just blast up a track at it's fasetest speed, but one that can weave, sneak throught the pack, fly out of the traps and twist and turn on both a straight and bends track. Just my opinion and it's what we try and train ours to do. Each to their own or it would be a boring world of racing.

chris

seen plenty miss the lids and win jasper so thats untrue ;)

Dont see what the problem is about asking questions and indeed questioning how whippet racing is run and has been run. If anybody is that big headed that they think it will always remain the same then god help the sport. Just accept people will always wonder if there is a different way of doing things. If the "old hands" get so het up about people questioning why racing works the way it does, then maybe it is time for a change, and maybe, like it does at newton aycliffe and other clubs, it should be varied to give everyone a chance to see what differences can be made. For me a champion whippet is one that can do everything, not just blast up a track at it's fasetest speed, but one that can weave, sneak throught the pack, fly out of the traps and twist and turn on both a straight and bends track. Just my opinion and it's what we try and train ours to do. Each to their own or it would be a boring world of racing.
chris
:) Thank You Chris a very sensible answer IMO, ;) Di

firstly yes i do think 150yds is a true test of speed and secondly not a lot of tracks can cover longer distances u will struggle to find a straight track to accomadate 200yds. also the fastest trapper doesnt always win. i had a very fast trapper scratch dog whisper whizz ask anyone and they will tell u he was the fastest dogs out the traps and over 100yds but the stronger finishers wud always beat him. why? i dont know

YEA THE ODD ONE MUTLEY..THE ODD ONE THAT IS VERY DOMINANT OVER THE REST.. AND WHAT I SAID IS STILL TRUE TO A VERY HIGH EXTENT...

odd one well that whats true to you aint nessesseraly true for me jasper anyway you dont like straight racing :teehee:

This topic got me thinking, what were whippets (whippetxgreyhound) first introduced to do......................run straight up a track or to course wee fluffy things? Maybe you can only define what best describes a fastest whippet according to the task they are supposed to undertake...................so that straight whippets owners (as opposed to bendy ones) will define the best as being the fastest over 150yds.......bendy whippet owners might define the best as being over 300 yds and managing to win throught the field on the inside rail......................big bendy owners might define it as being over 4 bends and first across the line................they are all the best in their field....................there is loveliness in diversity...................however, if a whippet was first brought in by men (or butch women) with flat caps and ferrets to course their sunday dinner, then the allrounder for me ( the straight with a bit of bend when needed) will win hands down :lol:

chris

Bendy dogs and big bendy ones Chris (w00t) You mean Daschunds of course :thumbsup:

odd one well that whats true to you aint nessesseraly true for me jasper anyway you dont like straight racing :teehee:
thats true mutley, 8.5 seconds is to quick to enjoy..

8 . 5 maurice that would be some animal :thumbsup: everyone to there own m8

Back