The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Whippets

juliarna

Registered
Reaction score
Hi it is Juliarna again. Because the whippet and Lurcher breed is new to me could anybody advise on obedience training.

I have always worked GSD'S. I did have a cross breed I worked very well.

My Lurcher seems very good at what I am teaching him. But because the Whippet pup seems very delicat to me after being used to big dogs I really don't know if he would be cut out for this type of training. I suppose I am just worrying about nothing but like I say he just seems so little to what I am used to, Even though the bits I am doing with him are going quite well.

Do you think I would be better off doing agility with?

Would be grateful of any help.

Juliarna.

Hi Juliarna.

Your whippet will do anything you ask of it, Whippets are a lot tougher than they look.

best advice I can give is to stop worrying and start enjoying him/her.

good luck.

juliarna said:
Hi it is Juliarna again. Because the whippet and Lurcher breed is new to me could anybody advise on obedience training.I have always worked GSD'S. I did have a cross breed I worked very well.

My Lurcher seems very good at what I am teaching him. But because the Whippet pup seems very delicat to me after being used to big dogs I really don't know if he would be cut out for this type of training. I suppose I am just worrying about nothing but like I say he just seems so little to what I am used to, Even though the bits I am doing with him are going quite well.

Do you think I would be better off doing agility with?

Would be grateful of any help.

Juliarna.

Whippets need steady but gentle training, but they are also much more stubborn than the collie type's ........I'd liken them more to a sensitive GSD :thumbsup: ........They are VERY intelligent and are easily bored with training sessions, so fun is the key ......Toys like frisbees are a huge hit with most Whippets brought up this way ........Any Whippet trained properly can be great at obedience and/or agility .......as a matter of fact Whippets are normally very good at anything they are properly trained to do ..........Whippets arn't delicate, but they are very sensitive towards their owners moods etc ......... :luck: :luck: I wish you well ......It's a shame there's not more people like you around, as i'm sure there are a great many Whippets that never reach their full potental ........Nothing nicer than seeing an obedient dog :D

Whippets are potentially good at agility. Well they are fast and agile. One (Slipper) has won the ABC at Crufts. But since then his owner has now got a lurcher.

The only thing that I think could be a problem is the weather. They've got thin coats and feel the cold so I'd worry about muscles not being warmed up properly so getting injured and also they aren't keen on the cloth tunnel once a few wet collies have been through. :(

Apart from that like Hannah has said mine got bored easily. He wasn't keen on exercises like knock out speed sits. Where the sits get repeated over and over again. In the end he decided that he must have got it wrong so got upset at my keep asking him to sit then move then sit almost immediately again. Collies just seem to love doing things like that.

There are people on here who do agility with their whippets and also their lurchers. Try the lurcher forum.

Oh and good luck. :luck:

BeeJay said:
Whippets are potentially good at agility.  Well they are fast and agile.  One (Slipper) has won the ABC at Crufts.  But since then his owner has now got a lurcher.
The only thing that I think could be a problem is the weather.  They've got thin coats and feel the cold so I'd worry about muscles not being warmed up properly so getting injured and also they aren't keen on the cloth tunnel once a few wet collies have been through.  :(

Apart from that like Hannah has said mine got bored easily.  He wasn't keen on exercises like knock out speed sits.  Where the sits get repeated over and over again.  In the end he decided that he must have got it wrong so got upset at my keep asking him to sit then move then sit almost immediately again.  Collies just seem to love doing things like that.

There are people on here who do agility with their whippets and also their lurchers.  Try the lurcher forum.

Oh and good luck. :luck:

Thanks for your replies about whippets and obedience.

After having recue GSD'S who were all very nervous and really lacked confidence

I do not bore my dogs I train with lots of fun and attitude. Sometimes hard work but I love to see the end results. Anybody can bully there dogs into things and feel really proud of it, but really not my style. I would rather praise good things and ignore the not so good. I feel you get a better response.

Other people would disagree but that is why people say my dogs are spoilt bratts. But at the end of the day this is my sport not theirs, so the easier I make it the better.

Juliarna.

Thanks for your replies about whippets and obedience.After having recue GSD'S who were all very nervous and really lacked confidence

I do not bore my dogs I train with lots of fun and attitude. Sometimes hard work but I love to see the end results. Anybody can bully there dogs into things and feel really proud of it, but really not my style. I would rather praise good things and ignore the not so good. I feel you get a better response.

Other people would disagree but that is why people say my dogs are spoilt bratts. But at the end of the day this is my sport not theirs, so the easier I make it the better.

Juliarna.

Spoilt brats are good :D .......I once had a collie lady who saw me with my Inca (Whippet) ......she told me that these Whippets are stupid and sooooo hard to train ......So I replied are they.......With this I told Inca close .......Well she stayed at my side through every turn as if she was glued to me .......Watched me all the time and her finish put my collie to shame .........Shut this collie lady right up (w00t) and put a smile onmy face for weeks :p ........Hope you have fun and show them all what a Whippet CAN do :thumbsup: :luck:

Back