The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

whippets getting bigger

whippetmad

Registered
Reaction score
why are whippets getting bigger? our last whippet which we show is much bigger so we dont look out of place at champ shows.my other whippet is much smaller he is a fawn with blue mask and a sweetie!! he is the old fashion size.i love them all whatever size but its a shame the smaller ones dont get a chance!!

I'm not sure as th the "Why" of it all, but I know I own a huge goliath of an American whippet! He's 22" and 37 lbs at 11 months. You can see most of his ribs and all, he's just a big boy.

I've heard American lines (espacially show-bred) run bigger in all dimensions compared to European ones. Judges over here prefer the heftier and taller dogs I guess.

I follow topics on this board and am always have a little mental glitch imagining those 16 lb racers!

This is a question that has been asked over many years and I'm sure will continue to be asked in years to come.

I have a Whippet at the taller end of the scale and also some at the shorter end of the scale. Some lines tend to throw taller specimens than others and sometimes, they're just like Topsy and keep on growing!

However, the main thing is that the size of the dog should be considered in proportion to the rest of it. If its confirmation is good and it is well balanced, moving soundly coming and going and in profile, without any hint of coarseness, then the size issue should be given less consideration or treated the same as any other less desirable qualities. Obviously, that's my personal opinion and I'm sure different people have different views on the subject.

Back