The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Whippet

irishsetter

Registered
Reaction score
hi

i am thinking of buying a whippet , i have been reading up on these lovely dogs and have fell in love with them.

what are your thoughts on the breed as whippet owners?

i would be most interested

thankyou

Hi Emma here the whippets are fantastic dogs, I have always been terrified of dogs until I met my partner, he had 4 whippets , they have great natures, very loving , easy to train, would certainly recommend this breed , , :D

hii am thinking of buying a whippet , i have been reading up on these lovely dogs and have fell in love with them.

thankyou
Theres only one thing you need to be warned about really and that is ONE WHIPPET IS NEVER ENOUGH ooo yeh and you may want to check out my post on naughty whippets :-

hii am thinking of buying a whippet , i have been reading up on these lovely dogs and have fell in love with them.

thankyou
Welcome to K9 :D You'll certainly find lots of whippet lovers here. I think whippets are brilliant (w00t) athletic and playful but also pretty lazy about the house - Blue spends most of his day snoozing on the sofa -_- He's also the most affectionate dog I've ever known. Their coats are different to most dogs so you don't get that 'wet dog' smell in your house which is great but does mean that they need a bit of extra protection from the elements and need a coat to go out on their walks in cold or wet weather. Blue does have a couple of quirks that seem to be par for the course with whippets ... he likes to steal underwear :b and tries to eat the heads off our neighbours' flowers when we walk past their gardens :oops: Watching them run is just amazing - poetry in motion. I can't imagine ever having any other kind of dog now that I've got the whippet bug!

Whippets are very adaptable to your circumstances and they suit a wide age range.

They do love their walks/runs but also if you have a day when you might feel under the weather, they are quite happy to settle down beside you and sleep.

Like Nicky said one is usually never enough. I would never be without 1 in fact we have 7!!

They are an easy breed to maintain no long coat, no coat to trim, they do need a brush from time to time especially at this time of the year. I find the best thing is a pair of marigolds, brings the coat out a treat.

I can't recommend the breed enough, Good luck in your search :thumbsup:

Don't listen to any of these people.......whippets are awful pets.....they...

Steal food and if they can't steal it they sit in front of you and drool or beg with big brown pleading eyes!

They steal the duvet on chilly nights,no actually every night they steal the duvet...you wake up at 3am with a paw up your nose or both paws up your nose and not always the front paws either!!!

They steal socks and shoes and leave them down the garden, sometimes when it's been raining too!!!!

They hoover up anything that gets dropped on the floor including things you were just reaching down to pick back up again!!!!

They steal veggies from the veggie rack, so one day you have a lovely bunch of carrots,the next day you have some lovely carrot tops with a little bit of orange stuff stuck at the ends!!!!

They hog the sofa and stick their legs out so there's no room for you.....they also lay on the remote control and change channels right as the villain in the movie is about to be revealed and by the time you've turfed them all off the sofa looking for the remote,the credits are rolling and you get a look from the dog as if to say " well it was a bit of a sh1t film anyway!"

They burble and squeak and honk and purr and hoot and occasionally bark either just in conversation or because there really is someone at the front door!!!

But worst of all.....they completely and utterly steal your heart and soul and you'll never be the same again..it'll be like alcohol addiction without the big headaches and the vomiting...just complete pointy nose dependency and you'll not be able to live without them.

Whippets Rule...........

After a lifetime of GSDs, collies and the occasional other breed, I finally got my first whippet nearly two years ago :wub: :wub:

I now have 5 and a lurcher who is very nearly a whippet :lol:

I love them with all my heart and they have made my life complete :wub: :wub:

Nicky is right - one is never enough and as for stealing :- ............

whippetlaw.jpg

Bluebell is 21 months old now and the most perfect, funny, cuddly, loving little beastie that I've ever had the pleasure to share a house with, but she has removed the kitchen flooring and most of the wall paper, but she's over that now and is the perfect companion and house dog.

She keeps me warm at night...she makes me laugh continuously...she's sooooooo theraputic to stroke, mssage and cuddle...and just wonderful to see running, she'll walk miles with me or she'll curl up on the sofa.

Whippets really are an amazing breed

if you only want 1 dog........then dont get a whippet ;) they are addictive and your soon want a 2nd........3rd........4th... :lol: :lol: :lol:

best breed in the world, ive had other breeds but id only have whippets now! oh and Roma the lurcher who found me :wub: ;)

only had mine for 12days but I would not swap her for anything she is wonderful :wub:

I have 2 whippets they are fantastic. Rocket 6 months and Libby 11. I also have 2 small girls aged 3 and 5, there isnt a better dog for children, they are so gentle and easy going. Even my 3 year old can walk them on a Lead with no problems. I would agree with everyone else though 1 is never enough!

It's true, 1 is not enough, I have 2 girls and I am seriously thinking about moving the wife out and getting onother Whippy, no, make that 2 more ;)

It's true, 1 is not enough, I have 2 girls and I am seriously thinking about moving the wife out and getting onother Whippy, no, make that 2 more ;)

Dont you dare John gregory :lol:

Dont get a whippet . they are infectious :p

Dont you dare John gregory :lol:

Dont get a whippet . they are infectious :p
what a brilliant picture :thumbsup: wish i could get a shot of mine like that, they all move :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
hi

thankyou all for responding with all your helpful commemts.

i love the whipprt property laws, :lol: very good , will have to sent up some rules of my own as well. :)

will let you all know when i get my little angel and will try and put some photos up :wacko:

thankyou

Back