The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Whippet X Working Beardie?

Eceni

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of anyone breeding good, well tempered whippet x working beardie pups? I know David Hancock has a good working beardie now who produces sane pups, not too hard-headed, but don't know if he lets anyone use it over a whippet, or if anyone's interested....

thanks, all

Manda

You've not given up then? I remember you talking about this before, last year :))

I don't know if Hancock does, although I can't imagine him saying no to anything!

I've heard a few things in the last few months about the temperament of some beardie cross lurchers. Definitely something to think about I think....

TCx

You've not given up then? I remember you talking about this before, last year :))
I don't know if Hancock does, although I can't imagine him saying no to anything!

I've heard a few things in the last few months about the temperament of some beardie cross lurchers. Definitely something to think about I think....

TCx

Definitely not given up, though not giving up on the idea of a nicely bred whippet either.... but I had a beardie x greyhound once and she was a star - soft as butter in the house but trainably excellent outside - tho' she did have an odd, almost spaniel-like habit of trailing things with her nose. But I want to do agility and she was too big - couldn't turn fast enough... so I'd like something smaller, smarter and sleeker. And reared in the house, with all the noise of kids and radio and TV, so that they're more house-friendly than Hancock's dogs. Not that Inca isn't a star, but it took a lot of work and the behavioural science has moved on a bit since then. If I'm going to have something for 15 years, I'd like to start out right... That's her - the black on the left of the pic - very nice dog...

Inca_sml.jpg

Does anyone know of anyone breeding good, well tempered whippet x working beardie pups? I know David Hancock has a good working beardie now who produces sane pups, not too hard-headed, but don't know if he lets anyone use it over a whippet, or if anyone's interested....
thanks, all

Hancock will sell you eney thing so if the price is right stud fee cant see a problem, but beware Hancock does not work dogs just breeds so if you decide to use it ask to see the dog work. THIS applies to all so called working stud dogs.I have been in the lurcher game for over 40 years and never seen a genuine working beardie, but i have seen some very good beardie show type crosses. I hope you find what you are looking for if you get the wrong one its with you for a life time.

Manda

Was thinking of breeding one of my w/g bitches to a collie,but have decided on a breeding program which will suit me better i think.Starting with a 1st x collie x greyhound,(not the sheep workers).There are a couple of proper cattle collies over here,who know no fear.Will be keeping a couple of bitches,and putting one of my w/g dogs over one of them,if they turn out the real deal.Don'tlike the Beardie any more,as ive seen too many bad ones,and not just Hancock stuff.They are too highly strung,for my liking,and take far too long to mature,if ever.As for proper workers,especialy on the lamp,i think it's time to turn the old clock back,and keep a couple of proper wee lurchers.Next year,i have 2 thousand acres of rabbits,at my disposal,so i need the right dogs.Good luck in youre search,for what youre looking for,as i would realy like to know how they do for you.Should be crackers at agility n stuff,but so would the finer border breed,put over a whippet bitch,and not the other way round.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was thinking of breeding one of my w/g bitches to a collie,but have decided on a breeding program which will suit me better i think.Starting with a 1st x collie x greyhound,(not the sheep workers).There are a couple of proper cattle collies over here,who know no fear.Will be keeping a couple of bitches,and putting one of my w/g dogs over one of them,if they turn out the real deal.Don'tlike the Beardie any more,as ive seen too many bad ones,and not just Hancock stuff.They are too highly strung,for my liking,and take far too long to mature,if ever.As for proper workers,especialy on the lamp,i think it's time to turn the old clock back,and keep a couple of proper wee lurchers.Next year,i have 2 thousand acres of rabbits,at my disposal,so i need the right dogs.Good luck in youre search,for what youre looking for,as i would realy like to know how they do for you.Should be crackers at agility n stuff,but so would the finer border breed,put over a whippet bitch,and not the other way round.

Thanks, guys.. make sure the collie is Optigen tested for PRA - or at least one half of the mating is - there's PRA in sighthounds now and no point in breeding a blind dog for the sake of it. If I get a whippet to put to Hancock's dog (not bothered about working ability - my step-son catches the bunnies round here with his whirrier), I'd test the whippet first.

I am, however, immensely envious of anyone who has 2,000 acres to work on. I wouldn't hunt, but heck, you could have fun on that!

good luck with your breeding plans

e

Hi ,Dont know a greatdeal about lurchers but am I right in saying the greyhound x Beardie is used rather than the whippet X is because the the greyhound is able to dilute( the bone & substance) of the beardie makeup into its frame, where the whippet cross isn't, so what would be the point, unless you held back on the best of the litter and put it back to a whippet.

If i'm talking a load of blarney i'd be intrested to find out why the WH X BC is not used more.

Although what you have said Eceni its not for working, so it won't matter, good luck with your search :luck:

Hi ,Dont know a greatdeal about lurchers but am I right in saying the greyhound x Beardie is used rather than the whippet X is because the the greyhound is able to dilute( the bone & substance) of the beardie makeup into its frame, where the whippet cross isn't, so what would be the point, unless you held back on the best of the litter and put it back to a whippet.If i'm talking a load of blarney i'd be intrested to find out why the WH X BC is not used more.

Although what you have said Eceni its not for working, so it won't matter, good luck with your search :luck:

That's an interesting point. My gh/beardie was a clodding carthorse who turned like an oil tanker and was [expletive deleted] useless as anything but an ornament if I'm honest. I've seen one or two beardie/whippets which seems a lot fleeter of foot. If I'm going to do agility, I want the ability to turn, to weave, to actually be agile. My Hancock beardie/border x gh was much better, but still not good - so it may simply be that Magpie, bless her, was just too big.

anyone else got any thoughts

e

Back